Old 07-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
We lost use of our trailer after a GYM blowout which did nearly $7k work of damage to the trailer. I filed a claim with GY and they found the tire to be faulty and paid for the damages. I was still out a lot of expense because of where I chose to take our trailer for repairs since the complete lower half of the left side had to be replaced. But we are now very happy with the repairs and in all fairness to Goodyear, they accepted the fact the tire was bad. My understanding is GY had a recall on a run of tires after our failure. We are back in business but I did replace all of my tires with a different brand.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Is there a time frame associated with the manufacturing “problems”, “bad batches”, etc? Have there been multiple bad batches over the years?

Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
I have GYM on a Toyhauler and a boat trailer and have no problems but I don't tow faster than about 62. The GYM (and I believe all trailer tires) are rated for a maximum of 65 at recommended inflation pressures. Goodyears product bulletin 2011-13 requires the tires to be inflated to 10 psi over the recommended pressure for use between 66 and 75 mph.

Just curious if any of you with reports of failures complied with this requirement?

Rick
Old 07-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
With a google search I found a tire complaint web site.

Goodyear Marathon Tire Consumer Complaints

There are quite a few 2010 and 2011 complaints about Marathons, but all of them are for the 16" version. All the 15" complaints go back to 2006 and 2007 (and earlier).

Again, not very scientific. I sure wish there were good options. While I have no issue with Michelin tires, I don't like the idea of using tires not rated for trailer use. Many posters have had success, but there must be many more with GYM success as well. If there really are no failures of Michelin tires in a trailer application (even without being rated for it), it does mean something. Um... what to do...
Old 07-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
At this point after belt separations on 2 of my 4 E rated Maxxis tires, I'm not convinced that many of the issues we are dealing with aren't related to ST tires regardless of manufacturer rather than any of the current specific brands. In both my failure situations, the tires failed at the end of year 3 or within year 3. Pressures are maintained and the trailer is stored indoors. It's not used frequently so maybe lack of use also caused premature failure. Whatever it is, I'm one who made the jump to 16" LT tires and wheels. Just got the wheels and tires on over the weekend and hoping that this is the answer. I have to consider myself fortunate in in both cases I caught the failures while in the driveway at home and not on the road.

Attached is an example of my current failure. Note the taller tire which is next to a tire that hasn't failed.

Jack
Bought Maxxis last year, researched the forum big time and found nothing wrong until now........OH! well...........
Old 07-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
ST tires seldom make the news, because their failures are mostly just an inconvenience to trailer owners. If tires on passenger-carrying vehicles failed at the same rate, and people were periodically injured and/or killed, Goodyear Marathon Tire failures would be a regular feature on the evening news, or on 20/20, Dateline and/or 60 Minutes. (Remember Firestone tires on Ford Explorers?) If ST tire failures ever come to the fore, that entire class of tires might be eliminated, with LT tires taking their place.

However, it's all about money. All trailer manufacturers need a basic tire that's cheap and relatively reliable, that can be installed as original equipment. Like auto manufacturers, they know that many owners will buy better tires when the first set wears out. For new cars that come with low-end, "basic" tires, how many people purchase the same brand and model tire to replace the worn out originals? Just guessing, but probably very few.

The main problem for trailer owners, is that there are very few non-ST, load range D and E tire options available for 15-inch rims; and one must switch to 16-inch wheels to get more reliable LT tires in an equivalent size. The extra cost of replacing all of the wheels, in addition to the tires, is what causes the most consternation. Again, just guessing, but most of us would probably, gladly pay a few dollars more to get LT replacement tires, without even grumbling about it. Like a new car, one just figures it costs a little more to get better tires when replacements are needed. In fact, if LT tires in load range D and E were available in size 225/75x15, a significant number of posts on this site would disappear.

On the other hand, if the quality/reliability of Goodyear Marathons was just a tiny-bit worse, and they failed at the factory or while being transported to dealers, we would all have 16-inch wheels and LT tires as standard equipment on our Airstreams.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
..... In fact, if LT tires in load range D and E were available in size 225/75x15, a significant number of posts on this site would disappear.

On the other hand, if the quality/reliability of Goodyear Marathons was just a tiny-bit worse, and they failed at the factory or while being transported to dealers, we would all have 16-inch wheels and LT tires as standard equipment on our Airstreams.
While at Alumapalooza an Airstream representative said that in fact 16" wheels with Michelins are being added to the line. They are testing the waters on the Eddie Bauer trailers first. If all goes well you will see them on more models.

Bruce
Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Beaumont , Texas
I just took off GYM tires for what I thought was a routine replacement at 30,000 MI. One had thread separated so badly that you could see the bubble and worn out part of the tire was about 8" long. It did not fully separated by pure luck only! The tire was made in 2010, made in China.
No, the problem with GYM is not solved.
The bigger problem is that in 15", single axle tires there is no replacement with a good history. (single axle 20' trailers need higher load rating compared to Michelins mentioned above)
Old 07-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I own two travel trailers, three boat trailers, and a utility trailer. I have long ago purchased my last "ST" tire.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2009 16' DWR
Venice , Florida
I just had a catastrophic blowout on I-40 outside of Oklahoma City. Before leaving for my trip I replaced both tires on my 2008 Bambi with Marathon ST's and had the bearings repacked. There is some damage to the wheel well but it doesn't look too bad. Tire pressure was 65psi and I was doing about 65 or 70 mph. Needless to say, I no longer have confidence in the GYM tires.

Now I will have to spend a day getting a new tire mounted and will have to look into getting the wheel well repaired. I may even need a new wheel. I have a TV that goes off road and I have been over very rough terrain with it and never had an issue with the tires. I have been getting 45,000 to 50,000 miles on these tires. I can cruise at 80mph all day and know with confidence that the tires can handle it. It doesn't seem right that with all the money we, as AS owners, have invested in our trailers that we should have to worry about new tires exploding!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Max speed rating on st tires is 65mph, jim
Old 07-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

All the more reason to replace them.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare
All the more reason to replace them.
Why do you need to go faster than 65 mph?
Old 07-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeikle View Post
Why do you need to go faster than 65 mph?
Why should you be limited to 65?

But my answer to your question is, to be able to cover long distances in a shorter period of time.