Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Tires

I have noticed that most of the tire issues seem to come from trailers being pulled for several thousand miles a year or in some cases per week. I would like to know what to put on a trailer that may not be pulled more than a couple thousand miles in the course of an entire year. I have been reading about this tire issue for months but can not seem to get a grip on what to buy. Radials v. bias, D's for E's, Marathon v. Maxxis. Man, I am confused. It took three hours to change a tire this weekend because if wouldn't fit in the wheel well, I had to deflate it first. Could someone please tell me what to do???????

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Silver View Post
I have noticed that most of the tire issues seem to come from trailers being pulled for several thousand miles a year or in some cases per week. I would like to know what to put on a trailer that may not be pulled more than a couple thousand miles in the course of an entire year. I have been reading about this tire issue for months but can not seem to get a grip on what to buy. Radials v. bias, D's for E's, Marathon v. Maxxis. Man, I am confused. It took three hours to change a tire this weekend because if wouldn't fit in the wheel well, I had to deflate it first. Could someone please tell me what to do???????

63silver
Airstream did considerable research when they selected a tire brand and model, many years ago.

Granted that brand had a problem, but that was a long time ago.

The correct tire for your trailer is Goodyear Marathon, ST 225/75 R 15. You should use load range "D". However, your wheels are old. If 6 ply or "C" tires have been on them for years, then you cannot change to "D" tires as the wheels will split.

Assuming you can use the "D" tires, then a pressure of 55 psi is adequate.

Remember that an Airstream loves a soft ride. Anything you do to alter that will eventually lead to major repairs.

You should also check you axles out, to make sure that they are ok. If not ok, then the trailer will bottom out when hitting bumps.

And finally, the tire, wheel and hub and drums should be balanced as an assembly. If not, once again, your pocket book will suffer the penalties, along with the trailer.

The following article, will teach you how to check your axles out, in less than a minute.

Dura Torque Axle

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
tires

Thanks Andy,
At some point the split rims were removed and replaced with more modern wheels. It has 7.00-15 LT's on it right now that have plenty of tread but are cracked and I would not trust them on a very long haul. The axles are alright for now according to the email you sent but I really want new ones by next summer. It is unlikely at this time we will be going more than 100 miles from home for any trips but next year who knows and I want to buy good quality tires now so I do not need to replace them next year. It looks like I will be looking for radials.

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote