Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Antrim , New Hampshire
Tires

After an 8 day involuntary stay with the generator issue, it was down the Natchez Trace. Interesting History.

No hurry to get anywhere the vehicle was looked over daily whereby I noticed a 2" dia bump in one of the rear tires. Not good. Had to drive to a bigger city to find a Michelin dealer, since that's what these are, Michelin Defender LTX, just put on new and barely 5000 miles on them.

Found me a reputable dealer in Baton Rouge LA. The owner of the place did not think it was warranty. He insisted that it must be an installer mistake, a damage bead. I didn't think so because this would have shown up earlier.
We agreed he'd order one new tire to be here the next day. I would pay for it in full if he is right and otherwise ....., he wanted nothing to do with a warranty claim and gave me a number to call Michelin, so I did.

Can't say enough about Michelin's customer service. They answered the call in no time and within minutes I had a case number, no receipt necessary nothing, just name and address and have dealer call us with his findings.

I did not have the best feeling about this shop, though being modern and part of a chain and I was sort of committed to go with the program. No way would I feel comfortable driving with a tire like this. 24 hours later a new tire was there and a service team member was starting the job.

Fortunately, they had to do this outside because there bays were not tall enough. First thing he used a bottle jack to go under the rear of the leaf spring. Huh? "Noooooo, needs to go under the front of the spring or if you have a 3.5 ton long floor jack to go under the axle" Well, he did not have a 3.5t jack, so it was a bottle jack at the front of the spring pack. Next came a pair of pliers to remove the chrome caps from the nuts. "Oh no!" I had requested that they use a socket do remove those. Then he proceed to put an impact wrench to work before removing the chrome hub cap. Oh well ............

He certainly applied his expertise to remove the tire from the rim and after brief inspection no damage could be found on the bead or the inside of the tire.

So it just happened to be a faulty tire, a new one was put on under warranty (immediate response from Michelin) though I had to settle the 49.99(!) bill for the labor, I was on my way once again.

Oh yes, the Defender LTX from Michelin does take 80 psi of air pressure, that is the best way to go at least on the rear tires. One will not notice a difference in ride performance, however mileage is improved as opposed to running in the 55 plus psi range.
felixkagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I think 80 psi will give you a very rough ride and potentially reduce the contact area on the tires making them more prone to hydroplaning in wet conditions. Best to run the recommended pressures.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I am pleased and encouraged that Michelin replaced the tire.
It would have been easy to say, "The tire is for a truck, not a trailer." But they didn't. Another reason to spend the $ with a reliable company.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I am pleased and encouraged that Michelin replaced the tire.
It would have been easy to say, "The tire is for a truck, not a trailer." But they didn't. Another reason to spend the $ with a reliable company.
It's on an Interstate, not a trailer
Old 04-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
My only contact with Michelin has been through email/web site and I was surprised by the quick and informative response. So I am a fan.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
$50 seems a little steep for a R&R one tire, especially considering they didn't know (or care) how to properly jack it up or remove the lug nut covers. Using an impact wrench on them will basically ruin them.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Antrim , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I think 80 psi will give you a very rough ride and potentially reduce the contact area on the tires making them more prone to hydroplaning in wet conditions. Best to run the recommended pressures.
Well, 80psi is Michelins recommended pressure for that tire.

After running with 65 psi for about 1500 miles of freeway driving, then going back to 80 psi I conclude 80 is a more stable ride and little or no difference in perception of ride quality.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Antrim , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
$50 seems a little steep for a R&R one tire, especially considering they didn't know (or care) how to properly jack it up or remove the lug nut covers. Using an impact wrench on them will basically ruin them.
Perhaps I misstated, he did finally use a socket to remove the caps, he proceeded to use the impact before removing the center cap.

On completion I had to insist with the mechanic that he use a torque wrench for final tightening. He just put his air impact on about three times.

I haven't had tire replacement in many, many years where the nuts were not properly torqued and in most cases a recommendation to re-torque in a few days.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixkagi View Post
Well, 80psi is Michelins recommended pressure for that tire.

After running with 65 psi for about 1500 miles of freeway driving, then going back to 80 psi I conclude 80 is a more stable ride and little or no difference in perception of ride quality.

If you are talking about the pressure stamped on the sidewall of the tires - it is the maximum pressure for the tire, not the recommended value.

Enjoy your ride.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
He could use an impact wrench w/ the proper torque stick.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
If you are talking about the pressure stamped on the sidewall of the tires - it is the maximum pressure for the tire, not the recommended value.

Enjoy your ride.
Yes, 80psi is the maximum recommended pressure, and it could easily climb above that in a hot environment.
You should refer to Michelin's tire pressure chart for the most accurate pressure for each wheel:
http://www.michelinrvtires.com/refer...tion-tables/#/

Update: In fact Michelin have a lot of useful information relating to RV tires on their website:
http://www.michelinrvtires.com/sitemap/
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
What tires are recommended for replacements?
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Also my AI is a 2014 on 13 chassis with 18k miles but tread is good and I have rotated them a couple times.
What is the life of the factory tires?
Getting ready for summer trips and thought maybe 3 year old tires get old. I do store it indoors though.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Also my AI is a 2014 on 13 chassis with 18k miles but tread is good and I have rotated them a couple times.
What is the life of the factory tires?
Getting ready for summer trips and thought maybe 3 year old tires get old. I do store it indoors though.
Michelin LTX Defenders are popular replacement tires for Sprinter RVs.
Your tires (Continentals ?) sound like they are doing well. Not sure about what their mfr says, but Michelin says after 5 years theirs should be checked annually by a tire tech. If you have even tread wear on the front tires, consider yourself lucky. Many AIs need the camber adjusted to zero degrees when the rig is loaded with fuel and water to avoid uneven tread wear.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
Michelin LTX Defenders are popular replacement tires for Sprinter RVs.
Your tires (Continentals ?) sound like they are doing well. Not sure about what their mfr says, but Michelin says after 5 years theirs should be checked annually by a tire tech. If you have even tread wear on the front tires, consider yourself lucky. Many AIs need the camber adjusted to zero degrees when the rig is loaded with fuel and water to avoid uneven tread wear.

Yes I believe mine are the conti's.

Tread wear has been good especially since most of the miles are highway miles and I tend to take it easy in town and around corners.

I do hear that the ride is much better with the michelins as the contis.

Also isn't there a way to read tire manufacture dates on the sidewalks?

I'll also take it by my local tire 'guy' and see what he says.

Maybe use them one more summer [emoji1303]
Old 04-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Also isn't there a way to read tire manufacture dates on the sidewalls?
Here's the answer.