Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
But a few years ago, they started selling P tires with the name "LTX"—that is misleading because they are not a truck tire, but a passenger tire.

As far as I'm concerned, that's deceptive advertising.

This is what lead to my confusion in a previous post.

I can confuse myself just fine. I need no help from Michelin thank you.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The idea of ST tires was to have a stronger sidewall for lateral movement when backing a trailer so you don't pull the tire off the wheel. The radials of that time had quite weak sidewalls, so the ST was invented. But as Joe says, LT's also have stronger sidewalls and work fine for trailer backing. The Michelin Rib has a very strong sidewall—it is basically an intracity delivery truck tire and made to be retreaded. Not my idea of a trailer tire, but those who use them find them great.

LT's may have lower speed ratings, but I think most are rated more than 100 mph, so if you really want to get somewhere fast with your trailer, you may have to use a P tire.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Me too, confused easily.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Yes, this thread has gotten very confusing, though that's pretty normal around here. Capri, I think I recall your March post on Michelin's use of the same model name for very different tires.

M.: offset for recent Airstream models (since 2000 I believe and probably before), is 0˚. Sorry to hear your Tundra has 20" tires as they cost even more and I am unsure there is any benefit to larger and larger tire diameters.

I sure am glad I am happy with our tires and wonder why I read these tire threads.

Gene

The reason you read these threads is to impart your wisdom and knowledge to your less informed or less knowledgable fellow Airstreamers.
I (and we) really appreciate it.
I glean from these threads that LT tires can safely handle more weight.
I might one day put 16" wheels on the trailer and 17" wheels on the truck to get Load Range E tires.
It is like sound equipment. Not that you plan to play a stereo at high volume all the time, but more power (headroom) means it plays more efficiently and with a better full range sound at lower volumes.
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
I have never had any trouble, but I never drive over 65 mph.
Even if I stay with the factory 20's on the truck, I want the Goodyear Marathon ST tires gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:38 AM   #65
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Yes, LT is the general all brands classification. LTX is Michelin but so is X Radial LT. They have a different tread. The differences are not advertised. Regardless though avionstream, you are correct LT is light truck.

See, that's what a little information does. It makes people think they understand something they don't!

And I apologize, rodster, for singling out your post to respond to, but it was the most convenient.

First, there are a number of ways to sort out tires. When the tire manufacturers get together to set sizing and loading standards, they frequently use letters to designate different sizing and loading standards. The use of the letters "P", "ST", and "LT" in front of or behind the numbers in the size is that indication. - BUT - those letters don't always line up with the actual usage.

The best example of that is pickup trucks. Small pickups use P type tires, where heavy duty pickups use LT's. This has EVERYTHING to do with load carrying capacity.

Please note that while there are low load carrying capacity LT tires, they are NOT usually used on small pickups.

Now what about tire lines? That is, the names tire manufacturers use. They typically line up with the sizing and loading standards - BUT NOT ALWAYS!!

A good example is Michelin. They have the Premier LTX, LTX A/S, LTX MS, LTX MS2, etc. Please note they do NOT have an LTX.

These tires are designed for different usages on light truck vehicles - meaning pickup trucks, vans, and SUV's. Each has a slightly different design intent - for example, all season, traction, etc. - AND - each comes in appropriate sizes for the design intent. In many cases, that is BOTH P type tires and LT type tires.

Confusing? You bet. That's why there is a vehicle tire placard. It will list the original tire size and the pressure specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that size. EVERY vehicle sold in the US will have a placard - with a few exceptions, it is required by law.

If you select a tire by it's size, it's hard to go wrong. And by size, I am meaning the letters, too!

Where it does go wrong is when the vehicle manufacturer specified a size that is marginal. Trailers, especially older trailers are problem areas.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #66
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Capri
Well said. The point of my post was that when people ask for or give tire type and size information it would really help if the COMPLETE size information was gives.
The use of "short-hand" nomenclature raises the potential for misunderstanding.

Leaving off the letters in the front and the "service description" if any after the rim diameter such as saying "235/75R15" means we could be talking about an
P235/75R15 105S or
LT235/75R15 101/104Q LRC or
LT235/75R15 LRC or
ST235/75R15 LRC
each of the above have different load capacities.
There are eight different max load numbers associated with these "235/75R15" tires depending on application so it is important to be specific.

NOTE The above are US tire sizes as I didn't include "Euro-Metric" nomenclature which would add a few more variations.

I covered this topic in depth way back in Sept 14 2011 on my RV Tire Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So LTX tires are not light truck tires.?
Old 07-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
So LTX tires are not light truck tires.?
This is not stated as fact. It is what I got out of this discussion.

Some are, some aren't. LTX is a marketing ploy by Michelin to confuse buyers, so they will believe whatever the tire salesmen tell them. I have to go beyond the LTX and go to the manufacturers web site and look up the full designator for the tire, including size and all letters before and after the size. Then, probably, I can find the data on the intended uses for that particular tire and its load range. This is only valid however, if I have gotten by all the seemingly contradicting information available and still trust anything a tire manufacturer or salesman tells me.

If none of this works, then I have to wing it. If anyone in authority asks if I am using the tire properly, I will just tell them, " Yes, I know I am, because someone on an internet forum told me so."

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:56 AM   #69
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
So LTX tires are not light truck tires?
Let's put it like this.

1) There is no LTX tire line. There are several lines of LTX tires with different suffixes that designate different lines of tires. Think of "LTX" as a family of tires, and what a person wants will have a different set of letters after.

2) People commonly confuse the letters "LT" in the tire size as meaning "Light Truck", and because of that think that all light trucks need to have LT tires, and vice versa - that is only sort of true. Some pickups and vans take LT tires, some take P type tires.

3) So the LTX lines of tires ARE for light truck vehicles, but you have to be careful because not all LTX tires are LT tires. Plus, if you do NOT include SUV's as "light trucks", then there is a line of LTX tires that are NOT for "light trucks".
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:59 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Marketing gibberish. Not a fan of Michilen anyway, so I shouldn't have asked the question.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Reviewing thread. Great info here, allowing one to mull over the facts and otherwise. Good to know which tires will do the job regardless of the brand or ratings, LT, LTX etc. appreciate the insights of everyone.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #72
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
duplicate
Old 07-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #73
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
I did a post on my RV Tire Safety Blog March 2 2015 "Much confusion on some RV Forums"

just on the confusion caused by Michelin when they came up with the "LTX MS/2" line of P type and LT type tires.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #74
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
For more confusion, Michelin mud and snow tire (M+S2) has said on the sidewall it is an all season, not a mud and snow tire. I haven't looked for that on my newest Michelins, but I have seen it on older ones.

Despite Michelin's sometimes strange marketing, they make really good tires and stands behind them when there is a problem.

Gene

Old 07-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Michelin's website does tell you whether an LTX tire is a light truck tire or not. Below is a screen shot from today. Notice that it also says that a tire is all-season. An explanation of all-season can be found here: http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=125

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelin LTX.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	243147  
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #76
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
My impression of all season tires originally was that they were not very good in snow. But the Michelin LTX M/S without or with the "2" have been excellent in snow, even when the tread is near the end of its life. According to the link Tim included, a snow tire has a snowflake on the sidewall. There's so much info on sidewalls now, maybe that is the reason 18" and 20" tires are needed just to fit it all.

Gene

Old 08-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I'm going to get tires soon- like in the morning-
One of the Goodyear Marathons is all bloated and swollen and tread down to the wear indicators.
I am at a campground, and I'm aware of 2 tire stores in this town and a Walmart.
Options/choices:
1. Get 15" Michelin MS/2
2. Get 16" zero offset wheels and Michelins- i bet no tire store will have the wheels in stock-
3. Put the spare on. Go on home. Buy/order tires and wheels from the internet.
What do y'all think?

TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
How far is it to home?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #79
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
If two axles - spare.
Walmart has lots of tires available online - to include with rim. Order and have delivered within a few days to one nearby. Some won't take an RV or trailer in, but you can take the wheels off and take them in.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:32 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLee View Post
How far is it to home?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

30-something miles-