Old 06-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
I had all the buyer fears of tires over the years. until we blew 2 tires at once. ON THAT DAY WE BOUGHT 4 TIRES CHEAP CHEAP Correctly load rated tires (Probably From China) We are part timers only about a 180 days a year and mostly for work (LOTS of MILES) and we have successful not blown one since that day 3 sets later. (almost 200k miles) 6 years. So my thought now is buy what is available check tires regularly and often. DO NOT CURB THEM and KEEP PROPERLY INFLATED. Don't slow down and only Look back to when needed!

Old 06-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #16
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
I have Cooper AT3 tires on my F250, and Michelins on the F350. I'm happy with both, but did put a piece of very sharp shale through the tread on the Coopers. The Michelins seem smoother and quieter on pavement, but the Coopers are better off pavement.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:23 AM   #17
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirConditioner View Post
.....Has anyone found a suitable load carrying truck tire that has NOT been recalled or has complaints?? .........

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirConditioner View Post
........ Am I asking too much to find a tire that is not now or has not in the recent past come under question? ......

Yes.

A lot of this has to do with expectations. No matter how good the tire is, someone will find that it doesn't meet their expectations - ergo, a complaint.

So you have to sort through all the complaints to see which are truly problems, and which are just people complaining - keeping in mind that we are talking about MILLIONS of tires for each to draw complaints from.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:50 AM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
In my case I kept the factory supplied Uniroyal Laredo's on my 3/4 ton GM van for 10 years, 36,000 miles. I pulled them finally based on age rather than any bad experience or signs of physical breakdown.

Since the van is garaged and is used for towing only related duties, I decided not to go with the Michelin tires and instead use a Cooper E rated LT tire. Cost was about 1/3 less than the Michelin and had good reviews from the general public. Based on its usage I expect decent performance over the coming years.

I think every tire maker has experienced tire recalls so I'd go with the best tire your pocketbook can support and also do the research from customer reviews. Other than my poor experience with ST tires, my experience with the tires on my vans has been really good. Quite honestly I've not had any particular brands that I would avoid. The only thing I will not consider is no name tires when I am shopping.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #19
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edistobob View Post
I replaced two LTX's with the Cooper Discoverer AT3 specifically because the AT3 is Load range XL with a 2833 lb load rating in the size I use: 275/55 R20. They are on the rear of my TV while some LTX's are still on the front. I did not find the AT3 on the recall list. You may want to take a look at them. I like them better than my Michelins because of the better load range plus a more aggressive tread design--ideal for my 4WD TV. When the older LTX's on the front wear down, I'll be going with the AT3's at all four positions.
I have Cooper AT3's on our F250. They have been good tires and I would recommend them highly.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1995 33' Land Yacht
Tempe , Arizona
Tires

Only one tire brand goes on everything I own, Michelin Tires. If you are rolling on anything less than Michelin tires you are wasting your money. They are expensive, but one pays for gold.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I too like the Cooper's. They are lasting just as long as the Mich's they replaced so I will get another set.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have had blowouts on Michelins, but I still like the man on the sidewall wavin' at ya.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
If we did not buy something because the brand had a recall then we wouldn't buy anything at all. I have had Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Michelin and up here in Canada, Canadian Tire brands on my vehicles. The Michelins were the best riding tires I ever owned. They were also the only tires that ever failed and after the third tire quit Canadian Tire finally changed out all four tires for new Goodyear made Store brands.
I am running Can Tire Store brands (made by Goodyear) and I will get about 50,000 miles before hey need to be replaced. Cost per mile is comparable to spending 1/3 more for new tires. I have never had a failure except for the Michelins, and yet if I could afford $1000 for them I would likely put Michelins on my truck.
So buy a good tire.; keep it properly inflated, and balanced and rotated. At least if it is recalled you get full refund of the price.
JCW
Old 06-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Michelin tires are the longest lasting tires. I got 130,000 miles out of a set of Michelins on a Chevy Express 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
check out Maxis
never had a problem
Old 06-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #26
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
check out Maxis
never had a problem
Well, except for spelling-
www.maxxis.com/

Ken
Old 06-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Thanks- maybe found a tire

Thanks for all the very thoughtful replies. Always good counsel on this forum!

Having spent most of my career as an analyst I've seen so many factory defects and subsequent recalls creep from one model to another. So part of my approach was not to purchase a tire brand or related models that had ANY recalls or those with many (substantial) complaints. This included rejecting those who had more than one size recalled e.g. 245, 255, 265. My experience shows (a) there's usually an expansion of the initial recall to others, and (b) complaints have always preceded formal and informal recalls.

Maxxis is a good suggestion- no recalls or complaints on ODI site

I'm going to try the Autogrip, a Chinese tire made by FULLRUN Inc, a very progressive company - also with no recalls- yet! And, they are not expensive. Mr Tire distributes them, and they are an LT 10 ply Load range E, so we will see......

-AUTOGRIP-AUTOGRIP-青岛福临轮胎有限公司 QINGDAO FULLRUN TYRE CORP.,LTD CHINA TRUCK TIRE-TBR, CAR TIRE-PCR

I will let you know the long term (or short term) results.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
I guess I am a misfit. My experience with Michelins is 4 tires 4 failures. Since replacing M's on my TV I have run only Good Year Wrangler LTs for approx. 100k miles with no problems. I also have run only Good Year Marathon ST's on my vintage AS for 15 years and many miles now with no problems. (knock wood)