Old 10-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofrk View Post
We drove to Alaska 2 Summers ago from Houston. In Steamboat Springs, we noticed that both rear tires had a flat spot worn all the way down to fabric. We replaced the tires. This summer, we drove to Wyomings, and danged if the same two tires didn't have the same wear spot, about 8-9 inces across. What is causing this? ---Art
You have a good one here. The wheels on a trailer are completely independent of one another and could not maintain the same position with respect to the road after the first turn if they were in fact rolling.

First thing I would do is jack up the rear and while holding the topand bottom of the tire try and shake it in and out. you should feel slight movement. If there is no movement I would assume the bearings are too tight and heating to the point of locking the drum to the spindle. If that is the case and you remove the wheel and drum the spindles may show noticeable discoloration, bluing.

I can't imagine you did not see smoke while driving or smell rubber just after stopping.

Is the trailer riding parallel to the ground?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilley View Post
My right front tire wears out in short order. It will be down to the fabric in about 4,000 miles. I have not had the alignment checked but have replaced the brake backing plate and bearings. I have replaced the tire twice. The other three tires still look new. The tire is worn off about one third of the way from the outer edge but is not worn otherwise which I think is very strange. Suggestions please!
If you do the above test and find the axle out of alignment do not take it to an Airstream dealer or Jackson Center. They do not ave the equipment or knowledge to do anything other than take your money. You have to find a truck axle shop that can bend the axle and since that is a give and take operation you don' want some kid under there.

I found a shop in Chambersberg Pa. after a fruitless trip to JC.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #17
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
We had exactly the same problem. Turned out to be a bent axel. New axel installed and problem gone. Apparently the trailer had been lifted with the jack set improperly and it bent the axel.