Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Tire Wear

Tire wear question on 2012, 25 FT., Flying Cloud: I have 20,000 miles on tires so I have been watching the wear bar on the tread to put on new tires. I also torque my lug nuts on almost every move. While torquing, I inspect the tread.

After a recent torque & tire inspection, we made a 400 mile move on mostly back roads in Oregon, about 60 miles on switch back curves. I parked the trailer. I observed the back right tire tread (outside) pattern was gone (smooth) around 50% of the tire circumference. The inside edge of the tire showed excessive wear.
All other tires still have not worn down to the wear bar.

How did this tire suddenly wear out so fast? Did my routine inspections miss the wear? I recently noticed the brakes seem to skid or lock up when moving slow and stopping on gravel roads we were on recently. This tire wore like it was dragging or skidding. I plan to go to the Portland dealer this week. Of course, I will put on new tires.

Anyone please share insights of there may be mechanical or other causing this!
Hophead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophead View Post
Tire wear question on 2012, 25 FT., Flying Cloud: I have 20,000 miles on tires so I have been watching the wear bar on the tread to put on new tires. I also torque my lug nuts on almost every move. While torquing, I inspect the tread.

After a recent torque & tire inspection, we made a 400 mile move on mostly back roads in Oregon, about 60 miles on switch back curves. I parked the trailer. I observed the back right tire tread (outside) pattern was gone (smooth) around 50% of the tire circumference. The inside edge of the tire showed excessive wear.

How did this tire suddenly wear out so fast? Did my routine inspections miss the wear? I recently noticed the brakes seem to skid or lock up when moving slow and stopping on gravel roads we were on recently. This tire wore like it was dragging or skidding. I plan to go to the Portland dealer this week. Of course, I will put on new tires.

Anyone please share insights of there may be mechanical or other causing this!
I would wager that tire is separated (belt from carcass), and is getting ready to come apart.

Do not run it any longer. Put on the spare, and be thankful you were fortunate enough to catch it before it came apart and damaged your trailer.

Additionally, it's time for new tires all the way around, as they age out and come apart before they wear out.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
In Addition

To what Steve said, I would inspect your brake controller, and brakes. You could have a worn shoe/shoes. If one tire is locking up, definitely re-calibrate your brake controller after inspecting/replacing the brake shoes.

And say hello to the big round Michelin man for me. He always has such a happy face wavin' at ya!
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Sounds to me, also like a belt/tread separation, as Steve noted. Can you post a pic?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Sudden tire ware indicates a problem. The type of ware you are seeing causes one to question tire inflation, break lockup, or cored separation.

In any case it is replacement time.

Did you check the tire pressure when you first saw the problem and did you touch the tire for temperature. These may help define the problem.

Jack the trailer and spin the tire may answer the second.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophead View Post

I observed the back right tire tread (outside) pattern was gone (smooth) around 50% of the tire circumference. The inside edge of the tire showed excessive wear.

How did this tire suddenly wear out so fast? Did my routine inspections miss the wear? I recently noticed the brakes seem to skid or lock up when moving slow and stopping on gravel roads we were on recently. This tire wore like it was dragging or skidding.
As I understand what you have stated above, the outer edges of the RR tire on your trailer have worn out. The center of the tread has more tread left than the edges. (In general)

Typically this is due to underinflation. However it can also be from taking many corners at speed. The tire drags across the running surface on a turn and takes out the edges.

1983 Ford Bronco Diagrams picture | SuperMotors.net

I could be wrong and yet I have experienced this.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
He said it only is worn on edge on 50% of the circumference. That doesn't sound like under inflation. That sounds like belt/tread issue

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
That's why I posted as I am not exactly clear as to the exact wear. He stated the inside edge shows excessive wear and outside edge too. At this point a picture would be nice. And yet he is getting new tires so it may be a dead issues anyway.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
There are inspection procedures you can follow to confirm if there is a belt separation.
I will PM you with the info as I'm not allowed to post links on this forum.

Partial wear is just one of the indications of possible separation.

If you have wobble or snaking as seen in the pictures then you have a separation.
No wobble is still no guarantee of no separation but you need to have the tires inspected ASAP and maybe replaced.

If separated then you should file a warranty claim and file a complaint with NHTSA