Old 09-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Tire Valve Stems

Am I a newbie or what? Could someone please explain to me the difference in a rubber valve stem and a metal one. Which one is best?

Old 09-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Metal stems are used in higher pressure tires. Supposedly tires carrying 65 lbs. of pressure or higher should be using metal stems.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Thanks Jack for the quick reply. I will make sure I get the right ones. The guys at the tire stores are not up to speed.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airperson
Thanks Jack for the quick reply. I will make sure I get the right ones. The guys at the tire stores are not up to speed.
When I had the tires for my Liner mounted and when I had the PowerWagon wheels powdercoated and the tires remounted, I had to purchase the metal stems at NAPA since the tire store was unable to obtain the stems. My PowerWagon came with metal stems in 1972.

As I remember, the stems come in two diameters, check the holes in the wheels to make sure that you have the right size.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
When I had the tires for my Liner mounted and when I had the PowerWagon wheels powdercoated and the tires remounted, I had to purchase the metal stems at NAPA since the tire store was unable to obtain the stems. My PowerWagon came with metal stems in 1972.

As I remember, the stems come in two diameters, check the holes in the wheels to make sure that you have the right size.

Bill
Grab a couple of spares while you're getting them, and toss them in your "spare parts" area. That way, if anything ever happens on the road, and you need to replace a tire, you can hand the tire guy a new metal stem to go with it. No lost time on that Sunday afternoon. Ask how I learned to do this...
Old 09-21-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Site Team

, Minnesota
I read somewhere (here, on the forums) that a lot of tire failures are actually rubber valve stem failures.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
All I have ever had on my cars, trucks, and trailers is rubber valve stems.

When I was in the Air Force we ran a fleet of 150 vehicles including a lot of heavy duty ones, that were routinely loaded to the max (probably we were overloading them, thinking back....). The 'tire shop' only used rubber stems, even on 5 ton trucks and diesel tractors. We went through several thousand tires a year, and the only valve stem failures we experienced came from a tech who wasn't fully seating the valve stem groove into the rim. Tire failures were not uncommon, but not typically related to the rubber valve stems

However, if metal stems reduce or eliminate a failure mode, I'm all for them - is this as simple as going to a tire shop and asking for metal stems to be installed in place of the rubber ones - no changes to the rims, etc?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD

However, if metal stems reduce or eliminate a failure mode, I'm all for them - is this as simple as going to a tire shop and asking for metal stems to be installed in place of the rubber ones - no changes to the rims, etc?
Yes, however, as I stated, the tire store I used did not have them and I had to purchase them from NAPA. You may have the same problem.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
_

. , .
hi airperson....

the basic differences are...

---metal stems are tightened with a nut/washer into the valve opening and the stems are metal with rubber/metal core.

metal stems can be high or low pressure rated.

---rubber stems pop into the wheel from the inside and are held in place by a rubber flange/grommet.

the stems have a rubber housing and rubber/metal cores and again can be high pressure or low pressure rated.

so while metal valve stems are a nice thing...

not all are created equal, so IF using metal get GOOD ONES!

there are also metal/rubber combo stems

and RUBBER stems rated for up to 90 psi....

virtually every superduty comes with 80 psi tires and rubber valve stems.

they work fine, and there are not widespread (if any) reports of stem failures on these milliions of trucks....

many of the other 2500/3500 trucks also come with rubber stems and 80 psi tires.

again it is the QUALITY and specs of the stem that matter most...

also IF using high pressure stems (metal or rubber) any valve core replacements must be high pressure too...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:57 AM   #10
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Safety information is the very best thing about this forum. Safety information that is not readily available elsewhere that could save lives or at the least someone’s rig. I will definitely go with the metal valve stems. When you stop and think about it; so much is riding on such a small piece of rubber and the difference in price is only a few cents. This is where personal knowledge is paramount.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #11
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
By the way, does anyone know which tires are still make in America. It is my understanding that most tires are now make outside the States. With the latest news reports of defective imports from overseas it doesn’t give me personal confidence in the quality of workmanship. Even if the price is a few dollars more I would feel more comfortable buying a reputable tire manufactured here in the States.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Tire Valve Stems