Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Tire sealant while running?

Came across an item in one of those wonderful thread lists from 2air that suggested it might be a good idea to put Fix-A-Flat or similar inside your tires BEFORE you hit the road in a single-axle trailer. hmmmm.... intriguing... never would have thought of that. Might lessen the damage from an instant blowout and turn it into a slow leak instead? As the owner of a single-axle I'm looking for any leg-up I can find. opinions?
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi 'chop...

not 'fix a flat' but a tire sealant.

these tire sealants are basically water, ammonia, latex and some fibers, all mixed together.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...tem-24526.html

slime, prestone, bob's no tubes, ride on, and others make this stuff...

google tire sealants or the brands mentioned.

napa carries some by the gallon version (crc maybe) as well...

these products remain in liquid form inside the tires for many many months...

perhaps a year or more in the right conditions.

if the tire picks up a nail/screw or small puncture the liquid performs a self sealing function...

cyclist use the stuff (me) off roaders, atv'ers, bikers and some really savy rv'ers!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
But the mechanic that has to repair the tire after you put that stuff in it won't be very happy with you.
While it will get you to a tire store, or home, when the guy breaks down the tire to patch it (not plug, another temp repair), it will be full of runny goo that will have to be cleaned out. Also, some of it contains butane as a propellant, all it would take is a spark from a tire reamer hitting a steel belt to make your tire an instant bomb.
Happily, most of it will say right on the can nowadays whether it has the flammable stuff in it.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Just an observation.

I've been using Ride-On in ALL of my tires for 7 years. It's a latex based product with no bad stuff in it and it washes right out of the tire with a hose if you do get a puncture that needs repairing.

I didn't know if it really worked until I found not one....but TWO screws in the rear tire of my motorcycle. Luckily, the stuff worked as I never know the screws were there until I was cleaning the chain and felt them with my hand while turning the rear wheel to advance the chain. I had removed the wheel and took it to be repaired and the Ride-On just washed right out with no residue. No problem patching the tire either.

Tire was put back on the wheel re-balanced and more Ride-On was added. BTW, it also dynamically balances the wheel as it spins too .....sort of like Centramatics.

GOOD STUFF!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Just an observation.

I've been using Ride-On in ALL of my tires for 7 years. It's a latex based product with no bad stuff in it and it washes right out of the tire with a hose if you do get a puncture that needs repairing.

I didn't know if it really worked until I found not one....but TWO screws in the rear tire of my motorcycle. Luckily, the stuff worked as I never know the screws were there until I was cleaning the chain and felt them with my hand while turning the rear wheel to advance the chain. I had removed the wheel and took it to be repaired and the Ride-On just washed right out with no residue. No problem patching the tire either.

Tire was put back on the wheel re-balanced and more Ride-On was added. BTW, it also dynamically balances the wheel as it spins too .....sort of like Centramatics.

GOOD STUFF!
That sounds better than most stuff I have had to deal with. Slime brand sealer is especially nasty, but at least it doesn't have the propellant.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
That sounds better than most stuff I have had to deal with. Slime brand sealer is especially nasty, but at least it doesn't have the propellant.
Hey Terry,

I forgot to add that Ride-On HAS no propellant. You deflate the tire by removing the valve core, add a tire size-specific amount thru the valve stem using a caulking gun (the Ride-On comes in 10oz. caulk-type tubes), re-install the valve core and re-inflate.

You then go for a 10-15 miute ride to distribute the stuff within the contact patch of your tire and let in self balance.

That's it!
Old 12-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Running fix-a-flat full time sounds interesting.
It may fix small leaks and avoid repairs to them.

Main thing I can think of is when you have a flat while running with it already in there, you have lost any chance of using another can to get you a little ways further.
Have not tested this, just my justification for not doing it.
Now fix-a-flat has saved the day many times for me, even once on a motorbike with tube tires.
I have seen the green slime stuff at wal-mart for same purpose.
Maybe with it in there you will never have another flat?
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Sealant works great in my mountain bike tires. I might keep a can of fix-a-flat for an emergency get-me-off-the-road in the AS.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Just an observation.

GOOD STUFF!
Whoa! This is some major good news Lewster, for us single-axle people. To have one product drastically reduce the need for highway tire-changing AND balance ala' Centramatics (or even just aid in achieving better balance)? Sounds too good to be true but 7 years ain't nothin' to sneeze at. Ride-On it is. muchas gracias!
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I would not recommend any off the shelf mass marketed substances claiming to repair or prevent a flat. They just don't work and are a sticky mess. They will also clog your valve stems.
The product that Lew is talking about is different and works fantastic. We installed it and it does not inhibit tire pressure monitoring devices from reading accurate pressure. If you go to their web-site and look at their customer list, you will be able to see these major companies like Wal-mart and other major distributors with over-the-road vehicles have invested in the product. Notice something interesting...Walmart and other companies protect their tires with a product they don't even carry. It's that special and not 3 bucks a bottle either.
I coordinated a major partnership between Advantage PressurePro and Inovex Technologies (Ride-On) and here is the press release. The press release is viewable from many other sites and publications but that is just the first one that came up in a quick google search.
There is no better protection than combining these products.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:18 PM   #11
_

. , .
well vendors can hype whatever they want, here it seems...

so folks, do your homework and investigate which ever brand you choose.

NONE of these latex based tire sealants contain propellants...

NONE of them foul valve stems or otherwise harm the tire or wheel.

NONE of them come in a pressurized can.

NONE of them alter the ability to repair the tire with a patch/plug.

the ALL wash out/off with soap and water.

and they ALL work the same way, basically they all contain the same STUFF...

i've looked at the msds on most of the brands, it's ALL the same stuff.

some of the brands contain 'glycols' so don't drink it!

NONE of these products are like the f-a-flat mentioned in the title...

as the op was confused.

the most useful n LEAST misleading step is 2 remove the brand name in the title and replace it with 'latex tire sealants'

i've used them for many many years too, you can even make them yourself.

this company really got the product line rolling...

Stan's Tire Sealant

and these others work the same way.

NoFlat...

NAPA® Online

cheers
2air'

i NEVER suggested using f-a-flat or ANY of the pressurized temporary canned stuff as a preventative.

go back and search for the correct info please.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I concur with 2air.

I use the stuff in my motorcycle. no problems. It is good for anything that is round, rubber, and rolls!!! ( but not the stuff in a propellant can!!)

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
2air, nobody said or believes vendors have any hypability. I am sorry this thread reminded you of another I was not aware of in which you already described another latex product that was better in your opinion.
Of the products we have tested, the emphasis on NONE that you have referenced is quite the opposite but our equipment could be inferior too.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:51 PM   #14
_

. , .
'products tested' ? well by all means share the list!

and please then,

just name ONE that comes in a pressurized can, with a propellant and that inhibits patching the tire or harms the tire/rim ?

again the product focus is NOT on fixing a flat, but preventing leaks from small punctures...

i also don't understand your being sorry.

since i've not ever suggested one brand is better than any of the others...

some brands have bigger fibers for clumping and more water or glycols,

and as a result some may work better in different applications.

many of the companies now vary the formulations for specific applications.

and they each claim to make the better product.

the point is these preventive sealants are NOTHING like the pressurized flat fixing canned stuff.

cheers
2air'

Old 12-18-2007, 11:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Well, ya damn sure talk enough and have an opinion so what product is in you're mind. If it's not the one we carry, why aren't you kindly asking us to carry it? If you want an outside reference, just post it, nobody's feelings will be hurt.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Now we're getting a bit testy.
Take a nice big breath before you post and you won't come off looking like something you probably don't want to. FWIW.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Damn was the wrong word, no question. Sorry about that 2air and I mean that. I just did my homework and you we're right.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Does this stuff stay put when you are parked for extended periods?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
It forms a gelatinous coating that does stay put for some time. Read up on it and please scrutinize it for all of us. That is what we need.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
In my experiences with Ride-On, you WILL get some puddling if you stay in one spot for a while.

That said, the liquid will re-distribute itself once you get rolling again and will restore the smooth ride.