Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
Tire recommendations

I'm in the market to replace the Goodyear Marathons that came on my 2012 International 30', and I've been reading the threads regarding tires and I appreciate the wealth of information.

Most of what I've read seems to boil down to one of three opinions, in no particular order:

1) It's best to switch to "LT" (light truck) tires.

2) Goodyear Marathon ST tires are fine.

3) It's best to switch to "XL" (extra load) tires.

I believe we have a number of members who have worked in the tire industry, some for many years.

Could those experts inform us on what Airstream model you own, and what tires you have on it, and why those tires?

I just had a blowout yesterday, and would obviously like to get the best tires possible to avoid that in the future.

Thanks very much.
russingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Never use a Goodyear tire unless you want trouble.

I put Michelins on in 2008 and that is over 35,000 miles ago. They are starting to show wear.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What is the GVWR on your AS? The XL Michelin MS2s may work for you. My 30' Classic was borderline for the XLs, but I think you 30'er is lighter and has less GVWR.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Making a recommendation about tires for YOU is like making a recommendation to YOU about shoes. So many choices for so many different uses.

The questions you need to answer are:

How are you going to use the trailer? once or twice a year or full time?
Is the usage likely to change in the future?
Is the trailer operated in sunny climates?
Related to what was posted above? What will be the heaviest tow load the tires will experience? Or have you weighed the trailer?
When towing what is the predominate speed you tow?
Are you looking for a tire that will last a long time or short time?

I have never worked in the tire industry and some of the users on this forum do not own an Airstream and may not own any trailers of any type. And what I buy in a tire may not work for your situation as our goals may be very different.

The reason there are so many tire (wheel) choices is there are so many different situations and uses. The factory has no idea what the end user will do with the trailer so they tend to put a tire on that is the least expensive and still meets the GVWR of the vehicle. Price is always a consideration when shopping for a vehicle and the tires play a part in that. However not every buyer has the same goal for the same vehicle model. Therefore different tires are created to meet different needs. Asking some one that is in the industry what they use may be folly unless they use the same vehicle as you in the same way.

So it is very difficult to recommend the "best" as the best for me isn't necessarily the best for everyone in all situations.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use 16" Michelin LT and Sendel wheels for reliability on our frequent long distance travel. When someone recommends a tire it's often claimed wrong by someone else, so this is what we use and why.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by russingr View Post
I'm in the market to replace the Goodyear Marathons that came on my 2012 International 30', and I've been reading the threads regarding tires and I appreciate the wealth of information.

Most of what I've read seems to boil down to one of three opinions, in no particular order:

1) It's best to switch to "LT" (light truck) tires.

2) Goodyear Marathon ST tires are fine.

3) It's best to switch to "XL" (extra load) tires.

I believe we have a number of members who have worked in the tire industry, some for many years.

Could those experts inform us on what Airstream model you own, and what tires you have on it, and why those tires?

I just had a blowout yesterday, and would obviously like to get the best tires possible to avoid that in the future.

Thanks very much.
CapriRacer is the only Airforums member who has worked in the tire industry, as far as I know.

I would summarize his conclusions as: There is no internal difference between ST, LT, and P rated (XL) tires, when comparing tires of equal size and ply construction.

You can switch to 16" rims and get LT tires for them, which will give you a stronger tire because it is physically larger. Costs are considerable.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
What is the GVWR on your AS? The XL Michelin MS2s may work for you. My 30' Classic was borderline for the XLs, but I think you 30'er is lighter and has less GVWR.
The GVWR on mine is 8800.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I run Maxxis UE-168's. I have six of them (seven if you count the spare). So my per tire loading is probably lower than the 4-wheel trailers.

I've put about 20,000 miles on them, maybe 25,000, over the last seven years. They've done great. I stumbled across the brand, but was fortunate. The UE-168 is basically a 15" commercial truck tire, but it is LT and ST rated (I believe that means the sidewalls are supposed to be more UV resistant....for Special Trailer anyway...).

I'll routinely run them at 75mph on the interstate. Never had a bit of trouble. I run 60psi, and they are 235/75-15, rated for 2337 lbs/tire. That may not be enough for four wheels, but I have six so they've worked well.

It is getting hard to find good 15" tires for trailers. Best bet is to upsize to a 16" wheel (or better yet a 17" if it'd fit). E rated truck tires would be great.

I'm not a tire engineer, but I do have a P.E. in Mechanical Engineering and am an airplane engineer. I read a lot too. I will probably switch to 16" wheels and go the Michelin or BF Goodrich Commercial TA route when I change next time.

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-2...8%28n%29#sizes

http://onlinewheelsdirect.com/maxxis...FW4V7AodB0YAAw

Best of luck,
Old 10-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
CapriRacer is the only Airforums member who has worked in the tire industry, as far as I know.

I would summarize his conclusions as: There is no internal difference between ST, LT, and P rated (XL) tires, when comparing tires of equal size and ply construction.

You can switch to 16" rims and get LT tires for them, which will give you a stronger tire because it is physically larger. Costs are considerable.
These statements are false in regards to tire construction and they are not stronger just because they are bigger,I do not know where that came from?

Replace your tires and wheels with 16 Michelin Lt's or Michelin Ribs and don't look back as this is the general consensus on this forum for good reason.

I have worked in the tire industry and have a total of 40 years experience in the automobile business.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We use 16" Michelin LT and Sendel wheels for reliability on our frequent long distance travel. When someone recommends a tire it's often claimed wrong by someone else, so this is what we use and why.
+1 We've only had our 27FB for six months now and I've already got the tires and wheels ordered. To keep things simple, we went with the T02's (as they match the wheels our Flying Cloud came with) and the same tires that come from the factory on the Eddie Bauer (Michelin LTX M/S2 LT225/75R16E). I even ordered two spares.

We've already had one flat tire with the GYM's, but to be fair this was caused by a nail puncture that I caught before it blew out (and failure due to a road hazard could happen to any tire). Nonetheless, I'm concerned about potential for damage to our trailer caused by a catastrophic tire failure.

I hope to retire in two years and then we'll be getting a lot more use out of our Airstream. Risks have to be managed and I believe this change is a step in the right direction for us.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #11
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
A couple of thoughts:

First, blowouts are generally road hazard related. They are random and there is literally nothing you can do to prevent them.

Second, the term "blowout" is also used to indicated a belt leaving belt separation - only a few of which are road hazard related. This is where changing tires helps - better quality and/or a larger load carrying capacity.

Belt leaving belt separations are:

a) Age related - with older tires more likely to experience one.

b) Only a small percentage of tires get them - even those that are reportedly prone to them. That's why we have so many reports of folks having no failures with what other people have had issues with.

c) Reports seem to be very few this year. I wonder if this is just me, or has the recent changes in tire construction improved things? Just not a lot of good data to draw a conclusion.

And lastly, I don't own an Airstream, but I do own a trailer that I use (used) to haul my racecar around. I don't use it much anymore - except this year when I moved. I used it to haul on my cars and other large objects down to the new place.

Oh, and that trailer has P metric tires on it.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I trust Michelin tires and would only run with them on my AS. Goodyear trailer tires seem to have so many problems that I simply don't trust them at all. Goodyear may make a fine car or truck tire, but the trailer tires seem to be prone to failure so why take the chance?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for all the feedback and opinions. I find it very helpful.

If I do switch to 16" Michelins, is there a wheel that is recommended? Or what are the important considerations or criteria when selecting 16" wheels?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
15x6 6 bolt-5.5 center hole zero offset

Like here: T02

Several styles available.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #15
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hi Russ,
There are 15" load range D and E Light Truck (LT) tires available.
Nokian Rotiiva AT LT235/75/15 116/113 S (2,756lbs)
Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT235/75/15 LR D 110/107 S (2,335lbs)

Not the easiest to find, but they are available.

I would also recommend Michelin LTX M/S2 P235/75/15XL 108T (1,985lbs derated for trailer use)

If you want to move up to the 16" wheels and tires, that is also a good move.

Hope to see y'all for Halloween!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
Thanks, Lance. We would love to be at the Halloween shindig, but a good friend's son is getting married in New Orleans on November 1, so we'll have to miss the campout. I know y'all will have a great time.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
Is this one of the tires you mentioned, Lance? If so it looks like Discount Tire may have them, although I haven't checked yet to see if they're in stock.

Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires - Reviews, ratings and specs in the Woodlands Area - Discount Tire
Old 10-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
15x6 6 bolt-5.5 center hole zero offset

Like here: T02

Several styles available.
OOPS, copied the wrong spec. For Michelin LTX 16" tires....wheels should be

16X6" 6 bolt, 5.5" center hole, and zero offset.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have a slight twist on the 16" Sendel wheels and 16" LT truck tires.
Michelin tires are the best and longest lasting tires, but are also the most expensive.
I never get the tread life out of any tire. The sidewalls always dry rot first.
Michelin are just too expensive for me to buy and only use up half of it before I replace it.
I will maybe get 16" wheels and Firestone TransForce 16" tires through my employer for about $165 per tire. I will wait 3 more years, though, to get the life out of the Good Year Marathons that everyone is so against- I've not yet had any trouble.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #20
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russingr View Post
Is this one of the tires you mentioned, Lance? If so it looks like Discount Tire may have them, although I haven't checked yet to see if they're in stock.

Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires - Reviews, ratings and specs in the Woodlands Area - Discount Tire
Sorry y'all won't be at the Halloween campout

Yes, those are the ones. They will have to get them from the warehouse, I'm sure.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote