Old 10-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Hi Russ,
There are 15" load range D and E Light Truck (LT) tires available.
Nokian Rotiiva AT LT235/75/15 116/113 S (2,756lbs)
Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT235/75/15 LR D 110/107 S (2,335lbs)

Not the easiest to find, but they are available.

I would also recommend Michelin LTX M/S2 P235/75/15XL 108T (1,985lbs derated for trailer use)

If you want to move up to the 16" wheels and tires, that is also a good move.

Hope to see y'all for Halloween!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
Thanks, Lance. We would love to be at the Halloween shindig, but a good friend's son is getting married in New Orleans on November 1, so we'll have to miss the campout. I know y'all will have a great time.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
Is this one of the tires you mentioned, Lance? If so it looks like Discount Tire may have them, although I haven't checked yet to see if they're in stock.

Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires - Reviews, ratings and specs in the Woodlands Area - Discount Tire
Old 10-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
15x6 6 bolt-5.5 center hole zero offset

Like here: T02

Several styles available.
OOPS, copied the wrong spec. For Michelin LTX 16" tires....wheels should be

16X6" 6 bolt, 5.5" center hole, and zero offset.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have a slight twist on the 16" Sendel wheels and 16" LT truck tires.
Michelin tires are the best and longest lasting tires, but are also the most expensive.
I never get the tread life out of any tire. The sidewalls always dry rot first.
Michelin are just too expensive for me to buy and only use up half of it before I replace it.
I will maybe get 16" wheels and Firestone TransForce 16" tires through my employer for about $165 per tire. I will wait 3 more years, though, to get the life out of the Good Year Marathons that everyone is so against- I've not yet had any trouble.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #20
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russingr View Post
Is this one of the tires you mentioned, Lance? If so it looks like Discount Tire may have them, although I haven't checked yet to see if they're in stock.

Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires - Reviews, ratings and specs in the Woodlands Area - Discount Tire
Sorry y'all won't be at the Halloween campout

Yes, those are the ones. They will have to get them from the warehouse, I'm sure.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've had 3 sets of tires on my 30' slide out. The latest are 16" Michelins which are in their 3rd year of use. Prior I had D rated Goodyear ST Marathons. One of them threw a piece of tread at the end of season 3 of use. I upgraded to Maxxis E rated ST tires. I encountered two tires showing signs of belt slippage which caused the tires to balloon out in the center tread area. That failure occurred on the first trip of the year in season 4 of use. In the case of the Goodyear D rated tires, I ran those at 65 psi. The Maxxis E rated tires were run a 80 psi. Both pressures were the max inflation cold ratings. The trailer is stored inside so UV is not a culprit. I place the blame on the fact that my trailer is heavy (9,100) gross when carrying full fresh water, and age takes its toll. I just don't believe that ST tires are reliable on my trailer for more than 3 years. At the cost of those tires and the potential of damage due to tire blow out, the premium of moving up to a longer lasting 16" tires was well worth the additional expense.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I have a slight twist on the 16" Sendel wheels and 16" LT truck tires.
Michelin tires are the best and longest lasting tires, but are also the most expensive.
I never get the tread life out of any tire. The sidewalls always dry rot first.
Michelin are just too expensive for me to buy and only use up half of it before I replace it.
I will maybe get 16" wheels and Firestone TransForce 16" tires through my employer for about $165 per tire. I will wait 3 more years, though, to get the life out of the Good Year Marathons that everyone is so against- I've not yet had any trouble.
Funny how people on this forum will pay all the money for a Airstream trailer which is much more expensive than the average trailer and then justify outfitting it with cheap tires jeapordizing themselves ,passengers not to mention there Airstream.
Search this thread for Michelin tire failures.What will it be worth when you are standing along a deserted county road looking at the damage to your trailer that the less expensive tire caused.
Tires are fairly important on our trailers.
All tires should be replaced every 5 -6 years regardless of brand or cost.They may appear fine on the outside but they are not.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Funny how people on this forum will pay all the money for a Airstream trailer which is much more expensive than the average trailer and then justify outfitting it with cheap tires jeapordizing themselves ,passengers not to mention there Airstream.
Search this thread for Michelin tire failures.What will it be worth when you are standing along a deserted county road looking at the damage to your trailer that the less expensive tire caused.
All tires should be replaced every 5 -6 years regardless of brand or cost.They may appear fine on the outside but they are not.
Moflash, I totally agree. In my humble opinion, it's penny wise and pound foolish to try and save three or four hundred dollars on a set of tires every four or five years (e.g., saving 28 cents per day) when the damage a blowout can inflict will run one several thousand dollars to fix, not to mention the danger and "excitement" of dealing with a blowout in the middle of nowhere.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I disagree with your thought process. I don't think Firestone TransForce are not cheap tires, but less expensive than Michelin. They are maybe not quite as good as the more expensive Michelin tires, but they don't cost as much either. They won't last as long.
Maybe you missed my point about not ever getting to use all the tread. In 5 years time the tires will be replaced with 75% tread left no matter how much I paid for them, so I am getting less expensive LT truck tires or load range D or E tires. I agree with the higher capacity LT truck tires with higher weight capacity and sturdier construction (8-10 ply), but would rather pay $165 per tire for Firestones. I don't think it is compromising safety at all. If the TransForce tire is good enough for our fleet off 300 trucks and 50 trailers, it is a good enough tire for my $90,000+ MSRP Airstream trailer. How many millions of dollars worth of trucks and trailers does my company have riding on Firestone TransForce LT tires?
All the hype on hear about how bad the Good Year Marathons are is like the filiform corrosion everyone is talking about. I don't have any on my trailer, and it took a trip to Jackson Center to even see filiform corrosion for the first time on a trailer in the Terraport.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Moflash, I totally agree. In my humble opinion, it's penny wise and pound foolish to try and save three or four hundred dollars on a set of tires every four or five years (e.g., saving 28 cents per day) when the damage a blowout can inflict will run one several thousand dollars to fix, not to mention the danger and "excitement" of dealing with a blowout in the middle of nowhere.
I don't think a Firestone TransForce LT tire would be any more likely to blow out than a Michelin.
I'm not kicking anyone for buying the very best tires (Michelin).
I'm just saying that second best (Firestone) is good enough for me.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
An ad just popped up on the side with Michelin LTX $186.
Maybe I will get Michelins...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I don't think a Firestone TransForce LT tire would be any more likely to blow out than a Michelin.
I'm not kicking anyone for buying the very best tires (Michelin).
I'm just saying that second best (Firestone) is good enough for me.
My comment was not specifically directed at the Firestone TransForce LT's, which quite frankly I've never heard of, or any other LT tires by a reputable manufacturer, but more towards the continued use of trailer designated tires by so many Airstreamers. I'm sure that there are many fine LT tires out there in addition to those made by Michelin.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
A couple of thoughts:

First, blowouts are generally road hazard related. They are random and there is literally nothing you can do to prevent them.

Why is it st tires have far far more road hazard related blowouts?