Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 82
Images: 3
Tire Questions

1992 Excella 25'

I'm planning to replace all four tires soon as mine are getting too old. The ones on the trailer are ST 225 75 15 load range D. I'm thinking of going to a Load Range E for reserve capacity.

1. Are the factory wheels on this trailer designed to handle the 80 pounds of air pressure of an E-rated tire?

2. Does anyone know of a good tire for this application that is not made in China? In an ST tire, I can only find Chinese tires of various unknown-to-me brands.

3. Is going to an LT tire a reasonable option? This would give me more choice when choosing a tire brand.

I am working through some of the info on record, but am interested in different people's opinions on these three questions.

Thanks for any input you can give.


Doug
__________________

__________________
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Refurbished 89 Excella
 
DKDarrow's Avatar
 
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 241
1. You dont inflate it to 80....perhaps 60 at the most

2. The brand you choose is up to YOU.......After 2 blowouts on D carlisles around 4 corners last summer.....I stayed with Carlisles and went to E's......NO problems yet.......

For me the most important aspect was/is having a tire monitoring system so that when the inevitable blow out comes I know immediately and therefore diminish body damage.........Good luck and God bless...........Dennis
__________________

__________________
Dennis & Susan
D&D Farms, Sugar Valley, Ga
Registered Boer goats
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,439
The maximum pressure is molded into the aluminum on the inside of the wheel (visible when the tire is removed. I think the OEM 15-inch wheels say 110 psi, but not absolutely sure. In any case, 80 psi is OK. Also, for trailer applications, most tire stores, including Costco and Discount Tire, recommend inflating to maximum pressure that appears on sidewalls of tires, which is 65 psi for load range D and 80 psi for E's.

Regarding replacement tires, there are several other tire threads (posts) that are currently active on this forum. Suggest you SEARCH for "tire failure" and take a look at those, first. Then, post your unique question(s), to reduce duplicating information that has already been posted.

Thanks, and welcome to the forums!
__________________
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow View Post
1. You dont inflate it to 80....perhaps 60 at the most
The fact is, an "E" rated tire will carry no more weight than a "D" rated tire at 65 PSI.

To get more weight capacity, you MUST go to higher inflation pressures.

If you don't believe me, check the charts.
__________________
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,163
Blog Entries: 1
Easy answer is just to change to LT tires. I went to Michlen. I run them at the rated 50 psi. No problems in 4 years and 40,000 or so miles. Lots of long tire threads if you like reading about them. Airstream offers LT tires as an option, and in my opinion it is an upgrade.

Just an opinion, but if you insist on ST tires for some reason, the GYM are probably still the best bet. And going to a heavier, stiffer tire at a higher pressure does not help anything much when a defective tire fails.
__________________
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
purman's Avatar
 
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
The fact is, an "E" rated tire will carry no more weight than a "D" rated tire at 65 PSI.

To get more weight capacity, you MUST go to higher inflation pressures.

If you don't believe me, check the charts.
coming back from washington last week in a 100 + temps I found the tires ran hotter if they started over 60 psi. and they gained 3 psi due to the heat.. I thought I was going to replace my Carlisle tires with Carlisle's but I'm going with the Michelins, And just not worry about it any more. I also have a monitoring system, I never checked my tire preasure before. Now I find myself doing it every hour or mor. (Well it is right in front of you, and if you have a new toy you do want to play with it)
__________________
Jason

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 82
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Easy answer is just to change to LT tires. I went to Michlen. I run them at the rated 50 psi. No problems in 4 years and 40,000 or so miles. Lots of long tire threads if you like reading about them. Airstream offers LT tires as an option, and in my opinion it is an upgrade.

Just an opinion, but if you insist on ST tires for some reason, the GYM are probably still the best bet. And going to a heavier, stiffer tire at a higher pressure does not help anything much when a defective tire fails.


Thanks. Which Michelin did you choose? The tire shops are saying I should stick to ST tires, but I don't know exactly why. The only ST tires I can find in 225 75 15 are all made in China. I'd prefer not to buy Chinese tires. I would have more choice in LT tires so it's an option that I'll definitely investigate. I didn't know Airstream offers LT tires as an option. Heck, if LT tires are just as good or better that ST, and they're available in more sizes and brands, why do they even offer ST tires? Cheaper? What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Doug C.
__________________
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 82
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The maximum pressure is molded into the aluminum on the inside of the wheel (visible when the tire is removed. I think the OEM 15-inch wheels say 110 psi, but not absolutely sure. In any case, 80 psi is OK. Also, for trailer applications, most tire stores, including Costco and Discount Tire, recommend inflating to maximum pressure that appears on sidewalls of tires, which is 65 psi for load range D and 80 psi for E's.

Regarding replacement tires, there are several other tire threads (posts) that are currently active on this forum. Suggest you SEARCH for "tire failure" and take a look at those, first. Then, post your unique question(s), to reduce duplicating information that has already been posted.

Thanks, and welcome to the forums!
Thanks for the info. I'm working through some of the available material. I know this topic has been covered from a bunch of angles. Trying to learn as much as I can. I appreciate all the help from everyone.

Doug c.
__________________
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 464
One item which never seems to get mentioned on these tire/blowout threads is valve stems. the common rubber valve stems are not rated for high pressure use (over 45 psi or so). Make sure the appropriate high pressure valve stems are used. you can usually tell the difference by seeing if they have a copper stem. If you have the gasketed chrome stems have them changed periodically also as the gaskets are rubber and degrade over time.
I cant tell you how many times I have had blowouts come into the shop and found passenger pressure rated or extremely old valve stems in the remaining rims.
Valve stems are cheap- blowouts aint!
tim
__________________
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
10Smiles's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
coming back from washington last week in a 100 + temps I found the tires ran hotter if they started over 60 psi. and they gained 3 psi due to the heat.. I thought I was going to replace my Carlisle tires with Carlisle's but I'm going with the Michelins, And just not worry about it any more. I also have a monitoring system, I never checked my tire preasure before. Now I find myself doing it every hour or mor. (Well it is right in front of you, and if you have a new toy you do want to play with it)
Purman,

What Michelins did you settle on? I have been considering their...

235/75R15 108T XL

These are rated at 2,183 pounds each. For four, that would be a capacity of 8,732 pounds. I think that would work fine for our 30 foot trailer.

Thanks,
David
__________________

__________________
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.