Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

2001 34' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
Tire questions

Just bought our first airstream a 2001 34' Excella, great shape, but when I got it home discovered right rear tire (only) worn to steel cords. this being my first trailer with three axles I don't know if this is normal, I inspected bearings, hub and breaks and they all look good. All six tires were put on ant the same time, do I need to look at anything else? Thanks
hodges53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Pictures would be helpful. Where is it worn, inside, outside, middle, all over? Did you check pressure before towing? After? What was pressure? When were tires put on? Was it worn when you started out? How far did you tow?

Couple of things to check- hub center to hub center difference between tires on left and right, jack up trailer and check angle of arms holding hubs. I don't know the correct number, but you can find it or maybe someone will comment. If they are not close to the same, one axle may be overloaded because others aren't carrying their share of the load. Also tire pressures should be balanced, or the one with the higher pressure will carry more load.

Others may have more ideas.

You dodged a bullet, could have been bad if tire disintegrated.

Good luck!

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
As already stated.. Measure distances.

I have a 34.. Had a right rear tire go,,,, u don't want that to happen.

What are tire ages? Is trailer towing level? Is too much weight inside? What tires are on there?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you have one out of 6 worn that badly I would first suspect a dragging brake and second axle alignment. Take a real good look at that wheel and brake assembly. If the brake was dragging I would assume that magnet will show more ware that the other 5. Also look at the spindle for signs of heat, bluing of the spindle. Look at the drum for signs of heat. As for alignment take an 8 ft florescent light bulb and lay it across the center line of the tires. The bulb should tough all 3 tires at the front and rear of each tire. Any difference of more than a 1/16 is a problem for the future but that small of displacement would not take the tire to the cords

I still think dragging.

If the tire was under inflated it would have blown long before it showed ware. You don't get 50 miles out of an under inflated tire.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If the wear is only in one spot on the tire, then it could be a brake lockup flat spotting the tire. If the return spring breaks or is weak, it can happen in two minutes. If wear is uniform and even, brake drag could be the problem. If it is only on the inner or outer shoulder, it is alignment. If it is only in the middle for the tread, it is over inflation, if it on both shoulders, it is under inflation.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote