Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 06:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Tire pressure on the road

I started out in FL at about mid 80s, set my pressures to 65. I've been traveling north and now am in NY with morning temp around 50. Tire pressure is down as one would expect. Question is, should I let it stay a few psi low and press on or air them up to 65 and adjust as I transition between climates.

Southern Belle
Old 10-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
What tires do you have? IMHO thart if you are on GYMs they need to be a 65 lbs or you are risking a very bad outcome. If you are on LT tires, you may have more wriggle room.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Temperatures vary constantly during a trip and during the day. No way or need to keep up with it, unless there is an extreme change. It'll probably be in the 70's in New York today.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
leave em be until you get home...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
What kind of tires do you have, and what is the recommended tire pressure on the tires' sidewalls?

Assuming you stop for the night, you should check the tire pressures every morning when they are cold (which is ambient temperature for the locality). This is a good habit to get into, regardless of air temp and different climates on the road.

Top up to 65 [or AS recommended pressure] if necessary, and keep your speed under 65 as well for ST tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
I started out in FL at about mid 80s, set my pressures to 65. I've been traveling north and now am in NY with morning temp around 50. Tire pressure is down as one would expect. Question is, should I let it stay a few psi low and press on or air them up to 65 and adjust as I transition between climates.

Southern Belle
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Personal experience

I am a cyclist and add air to my bike tires each morning. I've been doing the same with my 2015 Bambi. I start each travel morning with 65 psi, measured in the shade and cool. I agree with limiting speed to 65. My tow vehicle is a 4 cylinder diesel which is in it's happy place at 100 kph aka 62 mph. 30,000 miles on the same OEM tires with no issues.
AL4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Sparks , Nevada
Adjusting Tirepressure on the road

Each and every morning before heading out the pressure should be adjusted to 65 PSI (load range D) regardless of temperature. It should be left alone for the rest of the day - unless you have a problem. A good tire pressure monitor system (such as the TST 501) will allow monitoring all day long, as well as providing great education on pressure vs. temperature and speed.

Good luck and may your air stay put.
Vic H
Vich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I think it's best to update the cold pressure seasonally or during a 'significant' temperature or altitude change. If I were crossing the Rockies for example I would not stop and change anything but if I planned to stay in Denver for a week or more I probably would have a look.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
What kind of tires do you have, and what is the recommended tire pressure on the tires' sidewalls?

Assuming you stop for the night, you should check the tire pressures every morning when they are cold (which is ambient temperature for the locality). This is a good habit to get into, regardless of air temp and different climates on the road.

Top up to 65 [or AS recommended pressure] if necessary, and keep your speed under 65 as well for ST tires.

OTRA 15 is correct in the advice given. To that I would add that it is a good idea to weigh your rig one axle at a time to determine your load on each while hitched to your TV. You can then go to the tire manufacturer's web site or a dealer and get the pressure vs load chart to determine the minimum recommended tire pressure you may run for that load. That will also tell you if your load needs to be redistributed if either axle weight exceeds the permitted load on the chart. If A/S recommends 65psi for the OEM tires they put on your trailer you should check daily and add air as needed to your tires at ambient temperature. My GYM tires say max 65 psi but my vintage trailer loaded only requires 45 lbs pressure. Your newer trailer is heavier hence the 65psi recommendation. Also, the load capacity of the tire is directly proportional to the pressure, therefore 65psi on the GYM tires gives you the maximum load carrying capacity.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Well if you get up in the morning and the sun is on the right side tire it will have a higher pressure than the left side, so you let some air out of the right side. Then if you head out towing west for the day with the sun on the left side and the right side now in the shade, you will have quite an imbalance between the two.

I set them at the beginning of the trip and leave them alone. Our Michelins haven't lost any air in over a year.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Thx all for input. I expected it to vary. For those that asked, I have 16" Michelins on my 25FC. I also have a TPMS.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Well if you get up in the morning and the sun is on the right side tire it will have a higher pressure than the left side, so you let some air out of the right side. Then if you head out towing west for the day with the sun on the left side and the right side now in the shade, you will have quite an imbalance between the two.

I set them at the beginning of the trip and leave them alone. Our Michelins haven't lost any air in over a year.
ALWAYS set your tire pressures in the shade, in the morning shade is best.
If after a run, park in the shade for all tires, and set your pressures after three hours when the tires have stabilized.
Anything else will give you false readings to start.

If checking the tires on your TV or 'bus', raise the hood after the run to let engine heat out of the compartment. Reason?
The heat spilling out of the tire wells will warm up the front tires and give you a false reading. Once tires are stabilized, take your readings and set your pressures.
This is the ONLY way to properly set your tire pressures.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
You start the day before the sun gets onto your tires, by checking your tire pressure and adjusting them for the day. We started out at our home in Atlanta with the days still in the 80s. Early in the morning however it was still 72F. Passing thru SC to WV and on up to Niagra Falls the morning temp was 49F. Yes the tires were now low, and I adjusted them to the pressures I consider optimum for each axle. As I head back to Atlanta the temps will start to match those I saw earlier in Niagra. But when I head for Sarasota in February, I might have to let a little air out by the time I get to St. Pete, as I will have outrun both winter and autumn temps.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I'm an every morning checker. The only way I would ever know if something has punctured a tire is to check for a slow leak/air loss. I don't have a tire pressure monitor for the trailer.

I also do a visual check of the tires every time I stop during the day.

Have not need to add any air since June. Traveled across the USA since then, and back.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
I have Carlisle tires at 225 75 R15 rated at 80 psi. I set it at 80 as per side of tire and factory rep. There is no need to change pressure because the wiggle room is built into the tire. I live in Texas, and temperature changes in winter alone would drive me crazy to have to check tire pressure every morning. I just finished a 15000 mile trip and had no problems. Get off the Goodyear Marathon tires. They are garbage.
Barbieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:00 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbieri View Post
I have Carlisle tires at 225 75 R15 rated at 80 psi. I set it at 80 as per side of tire and factory rep. There is no need to change pressure because the wiggle room is built into the tire. I live in Texas, and temperature changes in winter alone would drive me crazy to have to check tire pressure every morning. I just finished a 15000 mile trip and had no problems. Get off the Goodyear Marathon tires. They are garbage.
Be careful what you say. I have run Marathons now for more than 15 years in all kinds of conditions with no problems whatsoever. They are definitely NOT garbage. I am a retired engineer from the textile industry with no connection to GoodYear at all.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I also have the 16" Michelins and have had them on several AS trailers. We had our 2017 Classic at the factory and they asked if I wanted the tires set to what they recommend of 80# per tire. I told them thanks, but no, I run at 75# per tire, never had a rivet pop and nothing is out of place in the trailer, when I ran our other AS at 80# I had a few rivets pop etc.

I do check each day with a TST monitoring system and if more than 3# low I add air. I do carry a 6 gallon compressor and fill both trailer and truck from the bed of the truck.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
In the seven years of travel all over the country many times with our Airstreams we have never needed to add air during a trip. I don't recall adding air to a tire during the trip in 50 years of cross-country travel.

We no longer use TPMS on our Airstream, are these things leaking air? Why would a good tire lose air during a trip?

Old 10-15-2016, 09:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

X2

Those suggesting to leave the tire pressure low are effectively telling you to run the tires overloaded and/or with higher Interply Shear forces that can lead to tread/belt separation tire failures.

Towables should alway set the "cold" ambient tire pressure to the tire sidewall to keep Interply Shear as low as possible no matter the type or size tires you run.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
OK, I guess I've been doing this wrong for years? I thought that the "cold" tire pressure was at 70 degrees, and before the tire was driven. So, I faithfully would set tire pressures to specs at as close to 70 degrees as Mississippi weather would allow (you gotta get up pretty early in summer...)

We just got back from a 3400 mile round trip to northern NYS. I carefully set all truck tires (Firestone Transforce) and AS tires (16" Michelin XPS Rib) to their max weight/inflation rating at 80 psi at 70 degrees. While driving up, temps averaged 85+ degrees in the South; and at 67mph the TPMS showed the psi increase to around 88 lbs on all tires. However, having set everything at these specs, I did not increase the pressure when we got North and cold temps were in the 40s - which dropped psi to around 72 lbs per tire.

So, from what I read here, 70 degrees has nothing to do with "cold" temp and I should fill to 80 psi regardless of whether it is 40 degrees or 70 degrees? This past Thursday tire and ambient temps were 37 degrees when we left Maryland and 88 by the time we got to Alabama that afternoon. If we set it at 80 psi @ 37 degrees, wouldn't there be some very high pressures due to rolling on 90 degree roads by afternoon?

I guess I need some "re-education"...

Tim