Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
Tire Pressure Monitors

If you have a TireTracker monitor(or other brand names this device is marketed under), here is a tip. These are the ones that you can replace the batteries in the wheel mounted sensors.

Mine are only a couple of years old and I remove them in winter and use tire covers. I noticed this year that the o-rings were completely rotted and caught it just in time before I had moisture damage. Would suggest owners check theirs for the same problem.

By the way, the o-rings I replaced them with are already showing signs of failing. Any ideas for a lasting solution?
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Tire Pressure Monitors

I've had mine at least 3 years and haven't had any problems with the O-rings so far. The wheels are covered 3 months of the year, but the trailer is used regularly the other 9 and this part of Texas gets more than its share of sun and heat and the sensors remain on year round. That is a good tip to look at them at least when replacing the batteries. Did you get the replacements from a local hardware store or the TPM vendor? They could be neoprene, nitrile, silicone or one of any other compounds designed for particular applications. Some may be better suited for exposure. You would think the vendor would provide rings that are appropriate.