Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)

I am thinking about going to a TPMS, and just curious if anyone has a recommendation one way or the other. What system did you choose, and what's your experience with it? Did you change to metal valve stems? Any issues?

Thanks in advance!!
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
TPMS may not prevent damage to your Airstream if a blowout occurs. If you have the original Good Year Marathon tires, especially if traveling extended distances, consider starting with a tire upgrade, then TPMS.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Rather than repost just do a quick search on TPMS and you will find numerous threads. Top brands, Tire Minder, TST, Pressure Pro. External sensors (metal valve stems) or internal sensors. Lots of choices and much discussion on the forums.

I use TST, external with metal stems. Works fine.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
TPMS is a great acquisition, glad you are going after one. As you know, it is very important to keep your tires inflated properly. As stated by one of the experts, "once damaged, tires do not heal themselves."

I have one with external sensors. Go with metal stems, shorties so the sensor is not hanging out in the danger zone (i.e. do not project beyond the face of the tire where it could be bumped).

My system came from Canada and has served me well but I wouldn't recommend it today due to the customs hassles if you have to send something back. You can also get nailed with the cost for an International call if you dial the wrong number when calling them. Yeap, ask me how I know.

As Gary pointed out, do a google search for it here and you will find enough reading to keep you entertained for a day or two.

Here is some good info as well from an RV Tire Safety Blog:
RV Tire Safety: TPMS

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Rather than repost just do a quick search on TPMS and you will find numerous threads. Top brands, Tire Minder, TST, Pressure Pro. External sensors (metal valve stems) or internal sensors. Lots of choices and much discussion on the forums.

I use TST, external with metal stems. Works fine.
Gary, thanks! I did do a search, but the engine only returned one thread. Either I am challenged, or the search engine is like most on the various forums (i.e. not very good)

Drat
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Drat,
In the forum search function dropdown you will see an option to use Google, use that. As you point out, forum search functions are poor at best.

Air #64439
Old 07-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have the TST system. So far so good it works. I did have to add the signal booster to get a reliable constant signal. Never have figured out why as I have medium sized trailer and tow vehicle. I had all metal stems installed and the tires balanced with the sensors installed. It is common sense that no TPMS system will prevent some blowouts. But they will give an alert driver a heads up of an impending issue no matter what the brand of tire. All brands of tires will have flats and blowouts if improperly maintained, IE: improper pressure, excesively high speeds, punctures or running into curbs.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have been very pleased with my Doran TPMS. I, too, had to get the signal booster for 100% reliable reception. It has notified me, early, of 3 stem failures (prior to getting all metal bolt on stems) and one low pressure situation last week. I took off the sensors while camped in FL to save battery life, and didn't put my caps on. After reinstalling the sensors the night before departure, I had a tire at 69psi the next morning. two grains of sand got on the o ring of the sensor and let the tire leak down overnight. I got a warning signal before I left the site.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
sussex , New Jersey
Went with a dill 1504-416 from tire rack after having a flat and not knowing it until another motorist pointed it out. Had a problem with the monitor at first but tire rack's customer service quickly professionally took care of it.
bmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Truck System Technologies Been running a couple years. Exceptional customer sat. Mike has helped personally within minutes for every question I had... Amazing folks and service AFTER the sale!!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The first one we had was a Doran, but it only last about 3 or 4 years. Then I bought a Tire Minder and now it doesn't work either. I can get it to work if I reprogram it next to the tire, but it doesn't work any further away. Until recently it always worked in the truck. I already replaced the batteries in the sensors. If I had a couple of hours to play with it, I could test how it works from further and further away (you have to wait up to 15 minutes for the system to recycle and get a new reading, so it takes a long time). Also, the very small O rings that seal the sensors have mostly fallen apart.

I think TPMS is a good idea, but it is also a pain. With Michelin tires I feel fairly confident of no problems, but any tire can fail. So far TPMS costs about $100/year, cheaper than a new panel if there's a blowout, but still $100/year.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:48 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Have used a Pressure Pro system for many years, starting with when we monitored 12 tires when we drove a tag axle motorhome. Didn't even consider not using one when we switched to the Airstream. Over the years it has prevented several problems. All of mine have been slow leaks that the TPMS system allowed me to detect very early before any damage could occur. The strangest one was on my motorhome when I received a low pressure warning after being parked in a campground several days. One of the duals had gone completely flat, but it didn't look like it because it was held up by the other dual. This allowed me to discover and fix the problem several days before we were ready to hit the road again. Without the system, I would have discovered the problem on the morning of departure when I would check air pressures--not a good time to find out one has a flat tire. I now consider a TPMS to be an essential piece of equipment, and consider it to be one of the best expenditures I've made for towing accessories.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I agree that TPMS is a good thing, but the troubles I've had keeping them working have discouraged me. The Pressure Pro made be better made and have lasted you for that reason. The Doran was a copy of it and I know there was a lawsuit over that some time ago, but I don't know what happened with that.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Gene,
I don't know if I've just been lucky, or if the Pressure Pro really was of higher quality. In any event, I have not had one bit of trouble with my system except when the sensor batteries were getting weak and I would get intermittent readings. A lot of people fuss about the PP not having replaceable batteries (they are completely sealed, and you buy new sensors at a discounted price), but my batteries lasted 2 years longer than originally advertised (some even longer), and the discounted price is $35 vs $50. The sealed units absolutely ensure that there will be no connection or corrosion problems with the batteries. Overall, I've been very happy with the PP. I'm only on my second set of sensors, having bought the original system sometime around 2003.

Bob
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Hello Bob,
My name is Mike Benson with TST TPMS. Many airstreamers use our TPMS Equipment, and Airstream Life Summer 2015 edition had a nice ad on page 24 recommending TST. Please call me to discuss in more detail if you would like at 770-889-9102 I am available 7 days a week until midnight.
Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Gene,
Yes Pressure Pro used to make Doran sensors and then they had a falling out and Doran went on their own. Either companies sensors do NOT have a user replaceable battery, or a Flow Through Option. TST has both with a 3 year warranty, and free shipping. Customer Service is open until midnight 7 days a week 770-889-9102
Thanks,
Mike Benson
Old 07-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Hi Bob,
If you have any questions about TST TPMS feel free to call me I am available until midnight 7 days a week at 770-889-9102
Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST
Old 07-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I put Pressure Pro's on an 34-ft LY diesel pusher after experiencing a blowout. We always seem to close the barn door after the horses escape!

After I sold the motor-home and acquired the 32-ft Excella, I installed TireMinders as they were less bulky and would also transmit temperature data. The first year they worked fine, but once I started changing batteries, they became unreliable. The TireMinder folks checked them all for me at a Good Sam rally, but within a month they only worked sporadically - up to the point when I had a blowout on the AS and they didn't even sound the alarm.

So when I upgraded my running gear I went with the Dill TPMS system. They are working fine, provided I use the external antenna on the roof of my TV. My choice of the Dill was based on two things: feedback on the forum and that it is like the OEM systems on new vehicles - i.e., installed inside the wheel rim as part of the tire valve.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
. . . . .

So when I upgraded my running gear I went with the Dill TPMS system. They are working fine, provided I use the external antenna on the roof of my TV. My choice of the Dill was based on two things: feedback on the forum and that it is like the OEM systems on new vehicles - i.e., installed inside the wheel rim as part of the tire valve.
From another post I believe you personally also measure temperature from time to time with an infrared gun. Since you now have an internal temperature sensor how does the Dill measurement correlate with what you see with the infrared gun? This information would be quite interesting. Thanks

Air #64439
Old 07-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
I also use the Dill system, for the same reasons. I keep the antenna inside the vehicle, under the rear seat.