Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bemus Point , New York
Tire pressure monitoring

Any suggestions for a TPMS for a Safari 25 FB? Some mfgs say you have to have metal valve stems, others say you have to have a remote antenna mounted under the rear bumper of our F250. Others say not so to both. Good friend with the same unit has neither and his system works fine.

Suggestions and your experiences would be most helpful.

Thanks - jetjocky
jetjocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We bought a Doran 360 3 1/2 years ago. It usually works fine, though I had to reprogram it last year. I remove it when we are not traveling so the sensors aren't operating and using up the batteries. Since there was no where to mount the monitor on the dashboard without drilling holes, I used the windshield mount and that works fine too. I did not have to mount an antenna (except for the one on the monitor) or use a booster.

If I were to do it again, I'd look for one with replaceable batteries so I didn't have to buy new sensors at $50 each. There are also ones where you can add air through the sensors. Check all brands to see what fits your needs.

I would definitely go with metal valve stems.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have a PressurePro and it works OK. Like Gene, I wish the batteries were replaceable in the sensors. I have it mounted on the floor (transmission hump) with no other antenna, and I do have metal valve stems.

A friend of mine has a smaller unit that includes tire temperature, and I think that's a great feature, but I don't know what unit he has.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
We have a Hawkshead TPMS. www.tpms.ca

The monitor is mounted on the bottom right hand side of the windshield. (usually)
I put no special valve stems on. I do not have a repeater.
It monitors both pressure and temperature with no problems. (including spare tires)

TV is a Dodge Ram 2500 with quad cab and short bed.
TT is 31 feet.

Ken

P.S.
The batteries are replaceable. I replace them once a year in the spring. I use the system year round in the truck
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
We run with a Pressure Pro system. The monitor is mounted at the top of the dash centered above the radio stack. I do not use a booster antenna and always have a solid signal. I also have rubber stems on the trailer. I wish hey we're metal, but I just had he tires mounted a year ago and m too cheap to remount them. So far everything works fine.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
We run with a Pressure Pro system. The monitor is mounted at the top of the dash centered above the radio stack. I do not use a booster antenna and always have a solid signal. I also have rubber stems on the trailer. I wish hey we're metal, but I just had he tires mounted a year ago and m too cheap to remount them. So far everything works fine.
When I brought up the subject of metal stems with my tire supplier, he told me that the ones I had were simply rubber covered metal. Right or right or wrong that was an answer I wanted to hear, so I accepted it.
The TPMS distributer told me that he only sells the chrome metal stems, because so many people ask for them.

Take that for what its worth. I've had good service from the stock stems.

Ken
Old 08-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Which model do you have of the hawks head, Ken?
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I'm using Tire Minder. Sensors screw on valve stems, you can replace the batteries. They will even send you free ones if you send the old ones back. Came with extra batteries. Mounts on windshield. The mouthing unit will double and hold my phone as well when I don't have the monitor on. No repeater. I drove 30 or so from the trailer before it lost contact. Has a built in rechargeable battery that last 24 hrs+, so you don't have cords every where. The model I got will do up to 24 tires. So you can have more than one trailer set up or monitor your TV as well. Cost $260 online. It does psi and temp and you. An set the warnings at whatever psi you want.

It worked great on my last 3000 mile trip. And for the price you can't beat it. And you don't have to have special stems put in.

Sure others work as well and you can't go wrong with any of them.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Which model do you have of the hawks head, Ken?
I have the
pressure track HD.

HawksHead Pressure Track HD

There is a new product that someone posted here' The tire minder

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)

They seem identical.

I asked the guy at HawksHead if they were affiliated. He said no.

I asked the Tire minder people if the units were the same. They said that their software was different. My guess is that the difference is whose logo comes up at start up.

In any case I've been happy with both the operation and support of the HawksHead. Supposedly he has sophisticated pressure test equipment and sets each sensor before it is sent out. They are amazingly consistant with one another.

If I had to buy another one. I would do the research again, because things can change a lot in three years.

I monitor all 4 wheels on the trailer and TV. I also monitor the 2 spares tires. This also give me two spare sensors in case one fails on a trip.

Ken
Old 08-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I know that Tire minder wont work if the TV already has monitoring stems like my sequoia does. It says this in the directions. Otherwise I would have them on there just for kicks. All you can do with the Sequoia is set a pressure alarm to go off at a certain psi You can't see what the pressure is.

I bet your are right Ken, they look identical, just different names.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I ..........................................

All you can do with the Sequoia is set a pressure alarm to go off at a certain psi You can't see what the pressure is.

I bet your are right Ken, they look identical, just different names.
That's better than nothing.

I know its hard to believe given how incredibly old I am, but I have never experienced a blowout in a car or truck. I have had two blowouts in tandem axle trailers. As far as driving is concerned they were pretty much a non event. However I can imaging that a front tire blowout on a tow vehicle towing a large trailer at freeways speeds could be quite exciting.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Tpms

I use Pressure Pro. Used them on my AS with rubber stems and use them now on my tri-axle Avion, combined use of about 5,000 miles. No real problems. One sensor regularly reads low & I take that in to consideration. Mine also has settings for to hi pressure and for tire temp. Both set off alarms if pressure or temp beyond settings.
Periodically I will lose response from a sensor or two; has happened when going through cities.....but they come back on by themselves.
I am a type A so I run through a 6 tire check every hour or so. Also check more frequently when first starting out in the morning to make sure all tires coming up to pressure.
They give me a good sense of comfort.
Tires are Michelin LTX/MS2 and I love them. Run quiet, smooth and cool. Pulling through AZ this week at 96 plus and 65mph, the tires were only slightly warm to the touch when stopped at rest stops.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Jetjockey,
Wish I had this thread to read before I bought our Doran 360. I'd have liked replaceable batteries. That said we've used the unit for over 35,000 miles. It saved our bacon three times so far, and gives great peace of mind every day. I did get the metal valve stems and like them. I also had to buy the extra antennae when I replaced the TV, which changed the location of the main screen to a place where it wouldn't receive the signals reliably with the built-in antennae. I mounted the external antennae on a self-made bracket inside/high near the back window of the crew cab. Works flawlessly. It take the four sensors off when in camp and unplug the main. Perhaps the batts will last a few more days that way. Lots of good advice in previous posts. Go For It.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Identical or nearly identical TPMS systems may be because the US companies buy them from companies in China which make various brands. Several years ago Pressure Pro sued Doran360 for copying their TPMS. I don't know how it worked out but Doran is still selling the same unit. The Doran was easier to mount than the Pressure Pro, but that was about 4 years ago.

Doran claims their sealed sensors don't leak water to the inside like ones with replaceable batteries might. I don't know if that is just their claim, or it happens.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I also have the Doran unit and am happy with the performance. I, too, wish the batteries were replaceable, and will experiment with cutting them open and seeing what I can do with the batteries when they die. I, like some others, remove them if I am going to be stationary more than overnight. Not sure how long the batts last, but I am at about 2 1/2 seasons and they are fine. I rarely lose the signal with Doran with a 30'er and no repeater or additional antenna.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Hawks head is having a sale this labor day - 10% off their systems if purchased before midnight tonight. They do offer a sealed head unit in addition to the non-sealed head.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote