Old 05-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Most people on this site have gone with the Pressure Pro monitor.
Since I went the different path and bought the HawksHead system I will do a follow up on it once I have it up and running so you guys can compare.
Today, I should take delivery of my trailer so it might be a week or so before I post about it.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #16
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
This is what we've been using for the last 1,000 or so miles...

RV Tire Systems

I don't think I'd recommend it.
Reasonable price, customer service is great, but in such short time we've had 2 bad sensors. One got all locked up (the head spins freely on threaded valve stalk) with dirt/sand, and other died. What concerned me was when the one sensor died, there was no warning that I wasn't getting any signal from that tire... after who knows how long, I noticed (it cycles thru tires) one with a "0" reading.

We'll see how it goes this coming travel season... anymore trouble, and I'm going to switch to an inside tire/rim mount style.
We have used this system for a couple years and love it. It is now sold by Camping World.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
This is what we've been using for the last 1,000 or so miles...

RV Tire Systems

I don't think I'd recommend it.
Reasonable price, customer service is great, but in such short time we've had 2 bad sensors. One got all locked up (the head spins freely on threaded valve stalk) with dirt/sand, and other died. What concerned me was when the one sensor died, there was no warning that I wasn't getting any signal from that tire... after who knows how long, I noticed (it cycles thru tires) one with a "0" reading.

We'll see how it goes this coming travel season... anymore trouble, and I'm going to switch to an inside tire/rim mount style.
Note: This comment was for the original, discontinued model (non-replaceable batteries)
Old 10-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #18
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I installed the Dill TPMS. The sensors go inside like OE car designs and are coded so you can set the wheel position to the monitor if you rotate. They monitor pressure and INTERNAL wheel temperature. The screen mounts like a windshield GPS, but a bit clumsy IMHO and it cycles between all 4 positions and displays to 1/10 PSI. You select the button and it shows the temp for the selected wheel. Alarms for temp and PSI.

I have only about 1,000 miles on it and the system does not make up for your neglect but it certanly adds a significant peace of mind factor and in fact on this last trip it showed me a hotter wheel, investigated and found a sticking caliper, RR. Might be caliper related, might be brake hose kinking under braking compression or a turn, unknown but being investigated.

I vote for TPMS.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have the Hawkshead monitor that a couple of other folks here have mentioned. Used it on a couple of trips and happy with it so far. I like the fact that you can replace the batteries in the transmitters - I buy the batts from Hong Kong over ebay at bargain prices!

The Hawkshead system can be bought with a signal repeater for use on longer trailers for about $60 - I bought if for our 31' trailer just to ensure a good signal - maybe I could have gone without it.

This system gives both tire pressures and temperatures and will tell you if you have very slow loss of pressure, medium leaks, or blowouts.

I don't imagine the temperature readings would be all that accurate, but at least it gives you an indication if one wheel is running a lot hotter than the others and should be looked at.

So far, since I installed the system, I haven't had any tire problems, but just having the TPMS and being able to check all pressures/temperatures whenever I want something to do on a long drive as well as knowing that I will get automatic warnings of developing problems is great for peace of mind! Would buy again.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Phoenix , Arizona
I have installed the Doran TPMS. Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems, School Bus Safety and LED lights from Doran It works well. Had a TV tire fail and it caught it. Did not feel the tire go down as I would in a car. Having the monitor probably saved a shredded tire.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tpms

To those who have 31 foot or longer trailers with the Hawkshead TPMS system: Did you need the repeater or do you get proper without it.
My Pressure Pro is several years old now and the last time I talked with them the cost of new batteries was the same cost of new transmitters ($50.00 each). If I have to spend tthat kinda cash the new Hawkshead system is looking very good.
Beginner
Old 10-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #22

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We have a 34' and use the Hawkhead TPMS...I did buy the 12V amp and have noticed the following...
If the truck is parked FAR away and looses one of the sensors...it can sometimes it can take quite a while to restablish communication once the trailer is reconnected if the amp is off...
Once everyone is talking, I have never lost a sensor when the amp is not on...
BUT, with the amp, the sensors seem to reconnect as soon as we roll.

My fav part is the replaceable battery-

Day 5 of the 2010 trip - Airstream Forums
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
I am joining this thread to help me make a decision on purchasing a TPMS.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
Just a note....that if you are trying to decide to get TPMS or not to, I would heartily suggest that you do. You will have more piece of mind, less chance of a destructive blowout (especialy on a multi-axle rig, etc.), and a much more relaxed towing experience. There's nothing quite like being able to push a button and read any tire's pressure while traveling down the road....

If you are trying to decide which type/brand to get, that's another story...do your research and pricing options and get the system that best suits your needs.

We have PressurePros which are several years old (purchased in Dec07). There were fewer options then than now...but I have to say that the PressurePros have been well worth the expense. We did get metal stems put on after we had a rubber stem fail (and the PressuePro alerted us to it in good time)... We would not travel without them.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I've had a TPMS for about 4 years. Being able to constantly monitor tire pressure, and the peace of mind is worth the price. To date, it has alerted me twice of impending tire/valve stem failures (similar scenario as TBRich). It has been very reliable and, if anything happened to it, I would replace it immediately.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:51 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
To those who have 31 foot or longer trailers with the Hawkshead TPMS system: Did you need the repeater or do you get proper without it.
My Pressure Pro is several years old now and the last time I talked with them the cost of new batteries was the same cost of new transmitters ($50.00 each). If I have to spend tthat kinda cash the new Hawkshead system is looking very good.
Beginner
We are now just shy of 7000 mi on our 3 month journey using the Hawkshead system with our 31' Limited. I was prepared to purchase the repeater, but found we we didn't need it.

One of our original sensors died, but Hawkshead replaced it immediately.

JIM

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
The Pressure Pro system I mentioned earlier has been installed (along with the ProPride hitch). On the second outing, the power cord failed, and was promptly replaced by Pressure Pro. I am very happy with the system, and haven't had any comm problems between the sensors and display with our 34' Airstream.

After reading all the threads about tire failure and trailer damage from the failures, I feel a lot more comfortable knowing what my pressures are, and if they are trending higher or lower. (alarms can be set for both high and low). With six tires back there, I would hate to have a failure and not know it for several miles while the steel belts beat the daylights out of the trailer!

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote