Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #101
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Narrowsburg , New York
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick75
RMB: If you don't mind my asking, how much did your Doran TPMS cost?

Rick
Rick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I installed the Dill TPMS #1506-453 system (has six senders so one is a battle spare and one is in the spare tire). It has the brighter #1900 display. We did install the remote antenna at the back of the truck under the bed.

Ordered from local Discount tire for $350 + local sales tax.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #103
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I'd have a TPMS no matter what type of tires are on my TT, unless they're run-flat tires.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #104
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...9&d=1354038052

Dill x2. My dill magnetic antennal is stuck to the spare tire rim underneath the pickup bed by the rear bumper (rubber tip of antennal pointing down/road surface). Established a clear view btw the antennal and the sensors on the AS tires. 2 years plus and it's kicking great.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #105

2003 34' Classic
Jackson , California
Tpms

I purchased my TPMS from HCI Corporation in Cerritos, Ca. and installed all 7 of the monitors on my 35' Airstream(which included the spare tire). The first leg of my trip after installing them I went over a very bad RR crossing and busted the belts on the middle tire. After about 1 minute the TPMS gave me a warning of low pressure. I was on a two lane country road but was headed for I-5. If I had not had the TPMS system I would never have known the tire was flat until it most likely would have come apart on the interstate. On my most recent trip the TPMS system did not work very well. I sent it back to HCI and they replaced the batteries and recommended a booster for $90. I have not had the chance to try it with the booster. If you get a good system that works the way it is supposed to it could be a life saver.
jhenry235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I don't know if TPMS on the trailer is a lifesaver, but is a good idea to protect a from trailer damage with the poor history of ST tires. We used a Doran TPMS on the single axle Airstream with GYM's, have not bought new sensors or installed it on our tandem axle Michelin 16" tires. Just can't see spending more on something I don't really like and most probably soon to be outdated.

It would be good to see these things evolve beyond battery powered sensors, booster antennas and somewhat complex monitors (I'm not a gadget enthusiast). For now we'll check our tires at fuel stops and drive according to conditions like we did before TPMS.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #107

Ah well, I'm a gadget enthusiast. In any case, a TPMS beats the heck out of trying to see the condition of my TT tires in a side-view mirror. I won't make "live saving" claims, though I will note that I also want quick detection of a significant tire puncture. The sooner I can stop rolling on a flat tire, no matter the cause, the happier I am.

I'm always glad to hear the 16" Michelins are serving well under pressure, though if / when I make that switch I'll transfer my sensors and keep using the TPMS.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #108
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
Ah well, I'm a gadget enthusiast. In any case, a TPMS beats the heck out of trying to see the condition of my TT tires in a side-view mirror. I won't make "live saving" claims, though I will note that I also want quick detection of a significant tire puncture. The sooner I can stop rolling on a flat tire, no matter the cause, the happier I am.

I'm always glad to hear the 16" Michelins are serving well under pressure, though if / when I make that switch I'll transfer my sensors and keep using the TPMS.
Not only am I a gadget geek, I am also definitely a pessimist. I dream up worst case scenarios and then worry about the consequences before they occur. (I call it planning ahead) Therefore anything I can do to lessen the chances of, mitigate the consequences of, or make myself think a worst case scenario won't happen, is good for me.

I was recently encouraged by this study:
(only because I have not yet dreamt up a reason to be discouraged by it,)

Pessimists Live Longer Lives According To A New Study

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I believe it was Mark Twain who said," Optimists go through life continually disappointed...Pessimists are, at least once in a while, pleasantly surprised."

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Another approach to monitoring tire temperature is to use a continuous IR sensor system. This would give an indication of the external tire condition that may be more indicative of a potential failure. A couple systems that are used in other automotive areas are the Opti-Grip (Opti-Grip) and the more expensive Techmore (Tire Temperature Measurement for Android Devices | Techmor).

Now we could have our gps screen, rear camera screen, tire pressure screen and tire temperature screen in front of us; just can't see what we are going to run into. Fortunately, many of these systems are Android based so there is a chance to combine into one app.
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Would the IR sensors be affected by dirt accumulation? Maybe they could be hooded.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #112
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Tpms

I have more respect for tire monitoring devices after getting a flat on my truck while pulling my trailer between Ardmore, Ok. and Vernon, Texas last month. I was on a two lane highway and just happened to pull up my tire pressures on the instrument panel. Decided to look at how they were handling the 100 degree plus temperatures outside. I was startled when I saw the RR tire on the truck was 5 psi lower than the other three. As I watched, the pressure kept dropping. No shoulders in sight or any place to pull off. Soon I saw a stop sign and an intersection coming up with an abandoned service station across the intersection. I pulled over, started unhooking, and was getting the truck jack out when a nice couple pulled over to help us. Turns out, the lady was the Manager at the Walmart store in Vernon, Texas. The husband helped me put the spare on while the wives got to know each other. They took the tire in and had it patched while we drove to Vernon. We stayed in an RV park next door, and left the next day for Amarillo and Palo Duro canyon. The Walmart store had the Amarillo store order a new tire, as I don't like patches for long term use, and they had it ready when we got to Amarillo. Turned out great. Oh, forgot to mention, I had a screw in the tire and saw it when I pulled over. No idea where it came from. Sorry for the long post, but I was glad I had some notice on what was happening.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #113
Rivet Master

Rick,
No problem with the long story. It's refreshing to hear a good story about a flat tire.

Ken
Old 10-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Thanks Ken. If I only had metal valve stems on my 16" Michelins, I would install TPMS on the AS.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #115
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
Thanks Ken. If I only had metal valve stems on my 16" Michelins, I would install TPMS on the AS.

Rick
I discussed that metal stem thing with both Hawkshead and Discount Tire. The Discount Tire manager pointed out that regular stems (at least the ones they use) are metal with a rubber shell. The owner of Hawkshead said the only reason he carries metal stems is that he got tired of trying to convince buyers that they don't need them.

I have used my Hawkshead HD 4 for over five years with 15 inch ST tires and 16 inch LT tires on the trailer and 17 inch LT tires on the truck with very reliable pressure and temperature readings with only the stems that Discount Tire regularly uses on truck tires.

I monitor 10 tires including both spares.

Ken
Old 10-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #116

When I went to Discount Tire and had metal valve stems installed, the dealer asked me to promise him I wouldn't inflate the tires beyond the recommended PSI because in his experience metal valve stems are usually installed for high pressure applications. So, I promised.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
""I have been using "Tire Minder" The sensors screw right onto the valve stem and give you pressure and temp.""

Ditto Purman's post # 7 above. I run the Tire Minders on my 4 Maxxis 8008 STs. The 10 ply Maxxis are so overbuilt for the weight they carry on my 30, but I want to keep track of the temp and pressure anyway. I think everyone can agree that under inflation and high temps will kill any tire that's being asked to carry a load. Full time monitor of your tires can only be a plus.

T Minder Cust service is great with any problem or replacement part.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #118
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Tire pressure monitor recommendation?

I've been using the Tireminder as well, and have been very happy with it. The one I'm using will read up to 22 sensors and I don't require the booster between my TV and 28'.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Tiremimder and Tire Traker seem to be the same product looking at my Tire Traker system. Tire Traker offers good service too. I just ordered new O rings and batteries from them and the order was shipped promptly and arrived in a few days.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote