Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Poway , California
Tire pressure monitor recommendation?

I have a 2012 27ft Flying Cloud (4263) towed with a Toyota Sequoia SUV.

I have been advised that a tire monitoring sensor is critical for safety and need a recommendation. Apparently some need signal boosters and some do not.

If there is a good one without the booster and a monitor that is battery operated that would be my first choice.

I have looked at the Tire-Safeguard 6 tire TPMS for $329 and it sounds ok but they mention it may need a booster.

Please give me your ideas

jfarrar@cox.net
jfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
I too am seeking info on various monitors.

I am wondering if any of them have an audible alarm at the read-out device for pressure drops and/or sending failures.

Also do all of the sensors require the tire to be dismounted? In other words do they REPLACE the existing stems?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I bought the Dill system from Tire Rack. I does it's job but the display is difficult when the sun is shinning on it. So I leave the display down on the transmission hump. As long as you keep it out of full sun you can read the display. I called Dill about the sun shine effect on the display, they said that have another display that works better in full sun.

The display steps through the tires one at a time. You can also read air temperature inside the tires. I can't remember if the temperature alarms. The monitors are mounted inside the tire similar to a truck TPMS system. It alarms for high and low pressure. You set it up for the normal running pressure of your tires. It has a magnetic remote antenna that I have mounted to the back of my truck frame.

I have no experience with any other TPMS systems other than those mounted from the factory on automobiles. So I can't compare it with other TPMS systems.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
I too am seeking info on various monitors.

I am wondering if any of them have an audible alarm at the read-out device for pressure drops and/or sending failures.

Also do all of the sensors require the tire to be dismounted? In other words do they REPLACE the existing stems?
Some require the replacement of the the stem and some you only replace the cap with the sender. You will have to check with each brand. GOOGLE is a good place to start.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I've been using the Hawkshead Pressure Track HD which has 5 year battery life in the tire monitor stem itself. It has saved my donkey twice. No your tire doesn't need to be remounted. The stem monitor just screws on the tire stem itself. The digital monitor needs recharging every 2-3 days. Once you get your tires programed, it's a snap. I did have to call the company tech to get mine set up. Their directions left me but the tech walked me through it in 10 minutes. Here's their link.
HawksHead Pressure Track HD
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
We are also having good success with the Hawkshead and I agree the customer service is first class. They recommend that you use steel tire valves (for obvious reasons). I had trouuble receiving the signals when I mounted the monitor in the center of the windshield, so i bought the repeater and mounted it in the front window of the AS. no problems after that. Another forum member with a longer rig suggested I just move the monitor to the corner of the windshield as that had worked for him.

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have been using "Tire Minder" The sensors screw right onto the valve stem and give you pressure and temp. You can set the pressure warning alarm to what ever pressure you want. They give you extra batteries and will give you new ones if you send them your old ones. It needs no boosting and I have driven a good 25 feet from my trailer and still had them working. (28' AS ) The monitor is small and fits on the windshield with the attachment.

It has rechargeable battery built in and last a few days without charging. It is also expandable to 22 tires. You can put them on your TV or another trailer. You can't put them on the Sequoia though, as it has built in TPS system, and they say it won't work with them. I haven't tried it on my Sequoia to see if its true. I used the system on my last 3000+ mile trip. Loved it. Personally I think putting LT tires on you AS is also a good why to not have to worry about your tires. I just did that after my last trip with 16" rims..

Foot note: Hawkshead and Tire Minder are the same thing with different names. At least thats what it looks like since they look exactly the same.

Ebay has them for $258
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TireMinder-T...r#ht_827wt_907

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Have the Hawks Head - no repeater needed, although I ordered it thinking I would need it. Has temp and pressure, sounds off when exceeds limits. Good so far - happy to say I haven't needed it! One of the other benefits is you no longer need to check your individual tire pressures, since they all report back.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We've been using Pressure Pros for years (6+) and they have saved us once already. They utilize both audio and visual alarms at various stages of pressure loss. Coupled with Centramatic wheel balancers we feel very confident that our rolling gear is doing well and not about to destroy our aluminum skin or dump valves while rolling. Maintaining no more than 65mph with 65psi air pressure also seems to help preserve the rubber.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I have the Dill. Internal sensors monitoring PSI and temp. The display has a stem antenna and mine came with a remote magnetic base cable antenna. I use the mag base, no repeater. Tire must be removed to install sensor. Tech MUST be trained on mounting procedure for internal sensors which just about all new cars have now.

A TPMS is a good idea.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Visalia , California
I have the "Tire Minder" and it works great. We have driven from California to North Carolina four times with this unit, I used velcro to attach it to the dash of our truck, keeps it out of the sun. Drove back to Calif. last June, 3,000 miles I40 no problems until we got off the hwy 99 to go to our home, by the time I drove the 4 miles to our house the alarm went off on our left rear tire, we picked up a nail in the side wall. The unit worked just like it should have, told me we had a loss of air pressure and what tire it was. It is also nice to be able to see the tire temps when driving I40 in the heat of the day.
ThreeFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Belgrade , Montana
I also have the Tireminder on my Land Yacht. I bought it primarily for monitoring the air pressure in the tires but on a recent trip the right front tire had an alarm on heat and when I took in the shop for some minor work they found a broken part in the right front brake. Glad we purchased the product.
JMSx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I recently installed the Dill TPMS when I had new tires mounted. My tire outfit was completely familiar with Dill installation.

My Experience

The short stubby antenna did not pick up a steady signal. So, I installed the rooftop antenna with the magnetic base. I placed it all the way back on my Suburban rooftop. The signal was then perfect and reliable.

The display works by displaying one tire at a time. It rotates around the four tires stopping at each one for about 3 seconds. If at any time you want the tire temperature instead of pressure, you depress a button on the corner and the display will momentarily read temp and then go back to pressure.

The display unit is very small - much smaller than you expect based on pictures you see. It is about 3" x 2" and 3/8" thick. The numerals are LCD and if too much sun is on the display you can't read it. The display comes with an excellent and very robust ball mount with suction device - a lot like the GPS units use. It works very well, HOWEVER....

What I do not like is the very awkward arrangement of the display unit connectors. The antenna comes straight out the back, and the power comes straight down off the bottom edge. In other words, the two cords are at 90 degrees to each other, which makes it nearly impossible to mount this in a "slick" way. Using the supplied ball mount, this little display takes over the cockpit. A bit ridiculous.

I got some right angle connectors, fabricated a little bracket, and was able then to mount it in a little spot with my CB radio. Very tidy, and very readable from the driver seat.

The unit is powered by cig lighter cord, and includes an optional cord with raw wires on the end if you want to wire it into the existing circuits. If your cig lighters are live with key out, like mine, you will have to plug and unplug.

Is it accurate? I measured with my digital pressure gauge and the readings were +/- 1/2 pound. Not bad. I think it is VERY useful. It will highlight a tire problem pretty quickly for the driver. It is set to flash an alarm at 20% high or low from the desired set pressure. In my case, the set pressure is 50#.

I paid $239 and it was installed with my tires for no charge.

If I could make a change, I would show all four tire pressures at once, and I would change the connectors to all exist in the same direction.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Poway , California
16" LT sounds good, AS rims?

What did you do for rims; AS or Tire Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I have been using "Tire Minder" The sensors screw right onto the valve stem and give you pressure and temp. You can set the pressure warning alarm to what ever pressure you want. They give you extra batteries and will give you new ones if you send them your old ones. It needs no boosting and I have driven a good 25 feet from my trailer and still had them working. (28' AS ) The monitor is small and fits on the windshield with the attachment.

It has rechargeable battery built in and last a few days without charging. It is also expandable to 22 tires. You can put them on your TV or another trailer. You can't put them on the Sequoia though, as it has built in TPS system, and they say it won't work with them. I haven't tried it on my Sequoia to see if its true. I used the system on my last 3000+ mile trip. Loved it. Personally I think putting LT tires on you AS is also a good why to not have to worry about your tires. I just did that after my last trip with 16" rims..

Foot note: Hawkshead and Tire Minder are the same thing with different names. At least thats what it looks like since they look exactly the same.

Ebay has them for $258
TireMinder Tire Minder pressure Monitoring System RV 5th Wheel Motorhome | eBay
jfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Have the same system. Bought it at Camping World same price. Really like it. PRograming can be a pain but is a good strong system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post

Ebay has them for $258
TireMinder Tire Minder pressure Monitoring System RV 5th Wheel Motorhome | eBay

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I like our Pressure Pro System. I bought it from Sen at ProPride.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfarrar
What did you do for rims; AS or Tire Rack?
They are AS mags I was able to get them from someone on the forums here But a lot of people are getting them online. Tire rack charges a lot to ship stuff their tires are not cheaper when you figure in shipping and mounting.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
Have the same system. Bought it at Camping World same price. Really like it. PRograming can be a pain but is a good strong system.

Yeah I a got mine there too on sale. they were $15 more at camping world when I got them.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 10-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Did a little research on this and found this one.

I like the flow-thru idea and replaceable batteries. Price seems reasonable considering I just spent $145 for just the four sensors for my wife's Tahoe.

Anyone here try this one?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Hawkshead TPS

Do yourself a favor and take a good, long look at the Hawkshead system. I read all the reviews on the Forum, asked a lot of questions, and settled on the Hawkshead.

It has several features I found attractive.

One: you can change the batteries in the sensor yourself using a standard watch battery. Most of the others required you to send the sensor back or replace at the tune of $35 or so for each sensor.

Two: the unit tells you the temperature the tire is running. I thought this was a great feature which could tell me if I had a sticking brake or bearing going bad.

Three: the standard monitor will handle up to 22 (I think that is the number, but it is a bunch) sensors. The others required different monitor models for more sensors, which increased the cost. My tow vehicle has pressure sensors, but thought that would be a good feature if we change tow vehicles and perhaps wished to monitor the tow vehicle tires. I ended up with five sensors and put one on my spare trailer tire. Now I know at a glance the pressure of all trailer tires and no longer have to check each one prior to starting out on the road. Turn on the monitor in the morning you plan to depart, and in about five minutes (while you are disconnecting your water and shore power) it is up and tells you all you need to know about tires prior to departure.

Four: the folks at Hawkshead were outstanding to work with. Could not have been nicer or more helpful.

Five: Cost. It was the most reasonable. I purchased direct from the manufacturer.

Have had the system for about four months now and could not be more pleased. It was very simple to install even for a non-tech guy. Easy to follow instructions.

By the way, this system has sensors which attach to the existing tire stem, no need to remove the tire. And there is an audible warning if you lose tire pressure or exceed the pressure and temperature limits you set when you install the monitors.

Hope that helps you with your decision.
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote