Old 10-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #57
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There wasn't (and isn't, IIRC) a set temp for beginning tire problems due to some conflicting factors, but the alarm set temp by TPMS systems comes close enough.

Tireman9 has some info on his web blog.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks, Rednax,

Roger has a SIGNIFICANTLY different formula than I had read before and different than Capriracer.....By Roger's formula, I am fine at 65psi and seeing a 7 - 9 PSI rise as that would only be a 35 - 45* rise in temperature over ambient. That actually correlates with my observations on my last trip. I read 105 - 109* across the treads of all four tires by the IR thermometer on a 70* day. OHHHHH, who to believe?

RV Tire Safety

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #59
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I don't really think there is that much difference so much as an approach to problem solving. One can have this effect via specific versus general approaches . . and both be correct. Even if one seems to say something different. Using one way to get to something specific may seem incorrect, IOW. And vice-versa.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Roger's methodology allows for about DOUBLE the psi rise relative to temp as the others. That's significant.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
He says:
"BOTTOM LINE

Tire & wheel manufacturers account for a normal pressure increase as outlined above when they design tires & wheels, so you should not be concerned unless you are seeing a large increase in pressure. If you do see a pressure increase like 25% you need to find out why. Remember you should not be bleeding down your tires when they are hot."

Holy crap....everybody else says no more than 10%.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #62
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
He may also be allowing for other factors: temps, altitude change, etc. An outside do-not-cross-this-limit. And, is he referring to motorhome (truck) tires? May want to post the question directly to him. (The context-in-which-the-statement-is-made problem. The magic, mystery and majesty of engineering, ho!) Or, he may have just thrown that out there, so-to-speak (25%).

As before, I see CapriRacer trying to find a few referential numbers to stay with: 10% is just fine, and if at 15%, look for why. Same for 15% load reserve (+/-, but 15 is workable across other boundaries).

I mean, we are just talking about a few pounds of pressure. And TT tires already need to be at maximum sidewall pressure, so . . . . ? (Problems other than low pressure causing temp rise?)

And the subject of RV tires is also a bit new (previously ignored) to the level we'd like to see. So, not downplaying, just recommending some slack until the same question is posed to all who might answer with some definitory power.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
No other problems, just looking for the truth....it is out there...isn't it? I just can't seem to make the AS tire pressures behave like I would predict them to behave under known sets of circumstances.

Capriracer said the other day, that 10% is not fine. He said it is at the upper limit and we need to look for correction.

The question in the Roger link was about his "truck"....Roger kind of wandered off to his personal RV....so what's right? I agree Class A tires are different, but even Roger's class C has valid comparisons to my LTs on the AS.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #64
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Okay, let's stick with 10%. And see what temps do based on that.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Tire monitors and gym's

Yes, I installed a set of external TPM's after several GYM blowouts but of course nothing happened the first year of use. Then the second year I blew a GYM and the alarm did nothing!! Changed the tires to MLXT's !!!

After some problem with getting the stem monitors to indicate at installation, I discovered that if the valve stem is not at the correct depth, (valve to stem), the sensor will not depress the valve and therefore no indication. Even the rep I called did not know what to do except replace the sensors. Well, when new sensors did not work, I measured the working sensors and the depth of the valve stem is critical for them to work. I removed some material from the threaded stem, and vola, a working sensor. I had several of them to modify to get them all to work.

The second problem I found with the external TPM's is the O ring that gives it a weather seal. They include them with the set of sensors. Well, after several failures, I discovered that if not replaced yearly, the seal fails and water intrusion will render them use less. Not a good return for my $300+ investment. Any takers???
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #66
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bartlet View Post
Yes, I installed a set of external TPM's after several GYM blowouts but of course nothing happened the first year of use. Then the second year I blew a GYM and the alarm did nothing!! Changed the tires to MLXT's !!!

After some problem with getting the stem monitors to indicate at installation, I discovered that if the valve stem is not at the correct depth, (valve to stem), the sensor will not depress the valve and therefore no indication. Even the rep I called did not know what to do except replace the sensors. Well, when new sensors did not work, I measured the working sensors and the depth of the valve stem is critical for them to work. I removed some material from the threaded stem, and vola, a working sensor. I had several of them to modify to get them all to work.

The second problem I found with the external TPM's is the O ring that gives it a weather seal. They include them with the set of sensors. Well, after several failures, I discovered that if not replaced yearly, the seal fails and water intrusion will render them use less. Not a good return for my $300+ investment. Any takers???
Fred,

I don't need another, but I'm curious about the make and model.

Ken
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quick update: I just finished my first trip with the TST (Truck Systems Technology) system. I've got the stock Airstream aluminum wheels, short metal valve stems, and the cap type sensors; I ended up with a clearance issue, and I had to remove the outer theft-resistant cap to get them to screw on.

On the road, zero problems. One of the sensors took a little longer to kick on, but once it did they all updated and read just fine. I've got a 25' Airstream and pull it with a Tahoe, and no repeater was needed.

I know there's been some comment about air temperature sensing, and I've been thinking about that - seems like there's probably some significant air movement inside the tire as it continually deforms and "reforms;" that seems to have been enough to get the temperature readings with decent sensitivity....
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Update: Mine were TST also, but no longer.
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
We're not full-timers, so I'm planning to remove these between trips...
Old 11-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Dill TPMS Item # 1506 with 501T Valve stems (1506-501T)

Based on the feedback here on this forum, I decided to narrow my choice to Dill based on reliability and not cost or ease of installation. I called Dill engineering dept to complain about the setback (unreadable screen on a sunny day and connector location on item # 1504-453) as reported on this forum. The project Mgr & engineer ( Mike Newton & Larry Schlesinger) advised on a new package offering listed above (Dill TPMS Item # 1506 with 501T Valve stems) whereby you have the crystal clear monitor (item #1900) and 6 sets of short brass valve stems (0.625 valve hole) with chrome caps (item # 501 T ). Per Dill, item #1506 sensors are and always will be inside tire mount for many good reasons and connector alignment is same as it has no impediment to functionality or reliability (T adaptors a possibility). This is a custom made package and going forward, they will offer it to Airstreamersand others BUT it's not yet on their online catalog. To order one, tell your Dill dealer or vendor (like Tire rack, Tire discount & Goodyear, just to mention a few) to call Dill and order Item # 1506-501T. Dill does not sell directly to consumers but through their approved distributors. Most well established installers are familiar with Dill specific instructions (Do not let the tire rubber rim or the installer tools / wheel mount head touch the transmitter and antenna). I asked to watch the installation, my installer agreed and I nicely repeated the instructions while the tech was installing (with nice tip of course).
DISCLOSURE: I do not work or have any affiliation with Dill Air Control, period. The product is just fantastic, reliable and easy to read both tire pressure and temperature on the fly.

Trailer TPMS

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dill-1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	173419

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dill-2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	173420