Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Cocoa Beach , Florida
Tire Pressure monitor - Metal valve Stems

Greetings,
I have not intention of jacking this thread, however I'm hopeful someone can provide guidance on installing metal valve stems prior to mounting pressure sensors.

Is the metal valve stem selected on the size / width of the tire or are they specific to the rim? I intend to remove the tires and take them to a tire store for stem installation and balancing. I have a 2016 20ft Flying Cloud.

Thanks, Skip
Skip Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
They are specific to the rim. I took my tires off one at a time and took them to Les Schwab (a local tire shop) and got them done for $8 per wheel. It was a bargain to me, not having to break a bead - get them - then re-seat the bead. There a lot of good tire chains in your neck of the woods to likely do the same thing. They key to watch out for is that they do in fact use metal stems, and do re balance the tires using the glue on weights.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
As just stated, tire shop. But make sure they are TRUE metal valve stems. The first go-around, my tire shop installed stems that were metal, but still had rubber bases, that would flex and possibly crack when the TMPS heads are attached. When I explained why I needed all metal, they 'got it' and used the right kind.

Also as just stated, they balanced my wheels with clip on weights on the outside. Uh-uh. I insisted they redo them with the inside stick-on weights. This was a large chain, so it was annoying I had to have them redo both phases of such a simple project.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
As just stated, tire shop. But make sure they are TRUE metal valve stems. The first go-around, my tire shop installed stems that were metal, but still had rubber bases, that would flex and possibly crack when the TMPS heads are attached. When I explained why I needed all metal, they 'got it' and used the right kind.

Also as just stated, they balanced my wheels with clip on weights on the outside. Uh-uh. I insisted they redo them with the inside stick-on weights. This was a large chain, so it was annoying I had to have them redo both phases of such a simple project.
Pcskier,
What is the problem with the clip on weights?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Pcskier,
What is the problem with the clip on weights?
No problem, in fact a lot of tire guys will tell you that in many cases, they get a better balance with them. But they don't look good, which is why they never use them on cars or trucks with aluminum wheels, they always use the stick-on weights on the back of the wheel. For my trailer wheels, they used clip-ons, which made my brand new Sendels look like crap. It was just an aesthetic thing. So I had them change to the stick-ons out of sight on the back. I should have specified earlier to request stick-ons *IF* aesthetics make a difference.

I also use Centramatic wheel balancers which I do believe make a difference. My throw cushions would all wind up on the floor before...they now actually stay on the seats during travel, which is pretty amazing to me.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
No problem, in fact a lot of tire guys will tell you that in many cases, they get a better balance with them. But they don't look good, which is why they never use them on cars or trucks with aluminum wheels, they always use the stick-on weights on the back of the wheel. For my trailer wheels, they used clip-ons, which made my brand new Sendels look like crap. It was just an aesthetic thing. So I had them change to the stick-ons out of sight on the back. I should have specified earlier to request stick-ons *IF* aesthetics make a difference.

I also use Centramatic wheel balancers which I do believe make a difference. My throw cushions would all wind up on the floor before...they now actually stay on the seats during travel, which is pretty amazing to me.
Thanks for the explanation.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote