Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
2008 23D Paprika!

2008 23' International CCD
Hollywodd , Florida
Cool tire pressure monitor

Hi:
Were do I look for the proper tire pressure on my new 23D Signature rig? And what monitor would you recommend me?
Saw a pressurepro for about $399, but I think that is too much and we only use the trailer once a month. Is there a visual monitor that can only be screwed in?
Thank you,

Adotutu
adotutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Adotutu -- Welcome to the Forums! A new rig probably has Marathon tires. Both the maximum 65 pound air pressure and maximum 65 mph speed limit should be stamped on the sidewalls. There are options for going below 65 pound inflation but you do need to use 65 pounds for running either near the trailer GVWR or in hot temperatures -- I use 65 pounds all the time. I just use a standard pocket 0-100 pound tire gauge from the auto supply store. You shouldn't be losing any air for a good long while. Be sure to plan on replacing your tires after 5 years -- the rubber loses reliability, is potentially terrible in heat, and a shredded tire will really tear up a wheel well.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Adotutu,

Any of the screw-on visual tire pressure monitors cause more trouble than they are worth, IMHO! They often leak and then cause the indictor to show red, or whatever color they display, and you never really know if your tire is leaking or the TPM is!

I had them on one of my cars and a couple of tires went low, so I checked the monitor connection with bubble solution........found that theywere both leaking. NOT WORTH THE $$$$$!!!

And speaking of $$$$$$, if you think investing in a real tire pressure monitoring system is too expensive, wait 'till you see how much damage a flat tire spinning around on a rim will cause. The $395 will seem like chump change when you have to pay several thousand $$$$$ to have the damage fixed.

Penny wise........dollar foolish!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hi Adotutu,

Check the street side front of your trailer. Mine has a sticker similar to a car that contains the tire pressure information. Our 2004 did not have that sticker.

On edit: I did buy a PressurePro system for my truck and trailer. I got to test it the last time I took the trailer to Arkansas and I'd say it's worth the money.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by adotutu
Hi:
Were do I look for the proper tire pressure on my new 23D Signature rig? And what monitor would you recommend me?
Saw a pressurepro for about $399, but I think that is too much and we only use the trailer once a month. Is there a visual monitor that can only be screwed in?
Thank you,

Adotutu
If you can't find the tire pressure on a label street side or on the tires themselves, look in the owner's manual...it should be there as well.

The Pressure Pros seem to be the tire pressure monitor system of choice...the visual ones aren't that great from what I've learned in researching TPMSystems for our Bambi...

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
If you can't find the tire pressure on a label street side or on the tires themselves, look in the owner's manual...it should be there as well.

The Pressure Pros seem to be the tire pressure monitor system of choice...the visual ones aren't that great from what I've learned in researching TPMSystems for our Bambi...

TB
TB,

You will soon have another system along with the Pressure Pro to choose from: one that does not need to be removed to change the tire pressure, one that not only gives you a low tire warning, but tells you if the pressure is too high, if you have a slow leak in that tire, and the best part........what the temperature if the tire is.

I'm completing the beta testing on this system, and should have my final results in a week or so...........................STAY TUNED!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:35 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
There are two problem with the pressure pro as I see it. The sending nits are expensive $50/per tire. that $400 to outfit my truck and trailer. They mount to the valve stem and are easily stolen or vandalized.
I would prefer one that straps to the inside on the rim.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Our 345 had that system. Problem is that when the batteries went dead you had to remove the tires to replace them. Then when they did they damaged them in the process. Also, there is no way to tell if they are dead.

My Explorer has a system built into the valve stems that really works. Hard to steal too as they are the actual valve stem. You would have to damage them to steal them.

When the weather turned cold last week they advised me that my tire pressure was too low. I checked and all four tires were down to 20 lbs. Inflated to proper pressure and the warning quit. Kool!!!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
Our 345 had that system. Problem is that when the batteries went dead you had to remove the tires to replace them. Then when they did they damaged them in the process. Also, there is no way to tell if they are dead.
well thats a bad design.
Quote:
My Explorer has a system built into the valve stems that really works. Hard to steal too as they are the actual valve stem. You would have to damage them to steal them.
Which system is this?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #10
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I actually don't know. You should be able to ask a Ford Dealer though. Next time I go in I'll ask. I have no literature on it. (strange). It just appears in the Owners Handbood and works on the computer readout screen.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 12-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
That system came standard from Airstream on our 345. It was called "TireTell".

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 12-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
There are two problem with the pressure pro as I see it. The sending nits are expensive $50/per tire. that $400 to outfit my truck and trailer. They mount to the valve stem and are easily stolen or vandalized.
Hey Michelle,

There is a system called 'Smart Tire' that mounts the sensor on the rim inside the tire. Theoretically, it is a good system but if you think the PP is expensive, the ST is even more so.

Plus, if your sensor goes wacky (as they do quite often) you have to take the rim off and bring it to a servicing dealer, remove the tire, remove the sensor and replace all again. I have seen this done on large diesel MoHos and when it happens, the customers sure aren't happy!

This new system is of superior quality to the PP system, very durable with a brass valve stem and DuPont Zytel sensor body, and stealing the sensor won't allow anyone to use them, as there aren't many of these systems out there in consumerland yet as they have been target marketed to the heavy truck and bus industries first.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Michelle,

You can get small nuts to thread onto the valve stem that back onto and lock the sensor down. They come with a small wrench to keep on your keychain or in the vehicle if you need to remove the sensor. Not perfect but would discourage the typical stupid thief.

Since I've installed mine, I've not had anyone even notice the sensors. I had to point them out in a few cases. Once they notice them, they're obvious.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
Old 12-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Michelle,

You can get small nuts to thread onto the valve stem that back onto and lock the sensor down. They come with a small wrench to keep on your keychain or in the vehicle if you need to remove the sensor. Not perfect but would discourage the typical stupid thief.

Since I've installed mine, I've not had anyone even notice the sensors. I had to point them out in a few cases. Once they notice them, they're obvious.
cosmotini...where do you get these lock nuts...from the folks who sell the systems?

Thanks,
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 12-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you order from 68 Overlander you can ask him to include them free of charge. All he can do is say no.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
cosmotini...where do you get these lock nuts...from the folks who sell the systems?

Thanks,
TB
I got my system from 68overlander.

The lock nut kit was $10?

They are just nuts that screw all the way down on the valve stem and then you back them to the sensor once it's installed.

You could probably go to a bicycle shop and get them cheaper. Be sure to get a small wrench that fits and keep it in your vehicle. A wrench comes with the kit I got.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
Old 12-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks for the tips, Dennis and Mark!

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 12-03-2007, 10:21 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Lew,
So what you are telling me is all the systems that we are talking about are prone to problems.

So which ones work?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Realizing that anything mechanical or electrical may be prone to problems, and that there will invariably be something that comes along that is better, I have no regrets with the PressurePro system. It works as advertised, and does everything I expected.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #20
2008 23D Paprika!

2008 23' International CCD
Hollywodd , Florida
thanks to all. I put Santa on notice for the pressurepro... God bless..
adotutu is offline   Reply With Quote