Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #101
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
And a metal stem is going to be more durable, especially with a lil extra weight on it spinning down the road at 60 or so.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
Does that mean I have metal stems on the Marathon tires?
I doubt you have metal valve stems on your Marathons unless they were added post-delivery. And you'd know if you have metal stems...they do not flex like rubber ones do. We installed PressurePros on our rubber stems originally, planning to switch out to metal stems when we got new tires. (So yes, you can use the monitors on rubber stems.)

However, before we needed new tires we had a rubber stem fail. The stem cracked where it enters the rim and it lost pressure down to 14 lbs within seconds. The monitors saved us from a bad situation, thankfully, by alerting us to the pressure loss, and we got off the road before it was completely flat and before the tire itself or the wheel well was damaged. We had the stems switched out on the tires after that. We feel a lot better having metal stems in place.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:09 AM   #103
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
This helps me understand the whole issue better.

I am going to replace them after this trip!
Thanks for the help.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
New? Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Just got new issues of Highways & RV View. In both I found a Tire Pressure Monitoring System from Hopkins sold under the NVision label. Camping World is selling a 6 tire system for $359 (Club Price).

Anyone have any experience with this system?

See it at:

http://www.nvisionsafety.com/
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I initially used the PressurePro's with the original rubber stems.

The sensors caused the stems to bend when towing and made marks on the rims.

I had them replaced at a local tire store with metal stems for around $20.

I'd recommend having the stems changed out now because you'll either want to or have to later.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #106
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Sounds like I need to swap out the stems!

Thank you I get the feeling I will wait and not install them until I
can get the metal stems put on first

I appreciate the advice.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #107
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by reday View Post
Just got new issues of Highways & RV View. In both I found a Tire Pressure Monitoring System from Hopkins sold under the NVision label. Camping World is selling a 6 tire system for $359 (Club Price).

Anyone have any experience with this system?

See it at:

http://www.nvisionsafety.com/
Received a catalog from local RV dealer today with the NVision Tire Pressure Monitoring System advertised. Anyone try it yet?

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #108
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Have it...

Installed it a couple of weeks ago. I have not had it on the road, but seems to do what it is supposed to do. Installation was straight forward. I would recommend getting air pressure on each tire right before you start. That was the only thing that slowed me down. Nice to be able to cycle through each tire and know exactly what the pressure reading is...
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #109
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't know if all brands work the same way, but the Doran 360 and the Pressure Pro sensors have batteries in them. When the batteries die, you have to order new sensors for $50 each. After a trip I remove the sensors so the sensor stops reading pressure and sending a signal. I think this will extend the life of the battery.

I don't know if anyone has found a way to open the sensor (if it can be done) and replace the battery themselves.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #110
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I don't know if anyone has found a way to open the sensor (if it can be done) and replace the battery themselves.
Gene
Gene, Question?
Any mention in your manual how to program new sensors when the battery goes dead. Wondering what bandwidth they use. Do they offer an
integral metal sensor/valve stem?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #111
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, I have the Doran 360 and they are easy to program. When I first read the manual, it seemed confusing, but just doing it was quick. I guess when a sensor dies and you get a new one, just go through it again.

I'm unsure what you mean by an "integral metal sensor/valve stem". The sensor is plastic and screws onto the valve stem. My Safari came with rubber valve stems and I think I'd better have them replaced with metal ones soon because of the stress on the rubber from the weight of the sensor revolving gazillions of times. The Doran comes with a locking thing that has very small allen screws that are tightened down to make it difficult to steal the sensors. The principle is ok, but the screws are small and thin and the allen wrench can eat them after a while.

I first had a Pressure Pro, but returned it right away because I couldn't figure out any good way to mount the monitor. Some people have little cubbies in the dash board that can be adapted, or can use velcro to put it on the dashboard. My Tundra has an uneven plastic surface on the dash that makes it hard to use anything on it that sticks to it. The Doran had more options for mounting. I used the 3 suction cups to the windshield system and they haven't budged in almost a year—I've never had anything with suction cups that stayed very long without falling off before.

It works really well though I could use a longer arm to toggle through the different sensors while driving. The only time the alarm has sounded is when the power plug vibrated out of the cheap Y-plug which is attached to one of the 12v outlets.

There are brands where you can add air through the sensor without removing them. At $200 for the monitor and $50/sensor, $400 was all I wanted to spend. The brand that didn't require removing the sensor was another $200, or $600 for 4 tires.

You can get them for the trailer tires only, or buy more sensors for your Suburban too. I think the monitor can handle all the tires on an 18 wheeler.

Gene
Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #112
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Gene,
The Burb has the factory tpms, the sensors are built in the metal valve stems.
I got six warranty spares from our parts dept. and would like to figure out a way to use them. Don't think it's gonna happen though.

Bob
Old 05-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
An adventure...

Let me preface this by saying I've traveled tens of thousands of safe, uneventful miles:

I suppose I could say the PressurePro just paid for itself the night before last. While en route to Florida, we had just crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (4.3 miles long, under construction, all traffic routed to the southbound span, single lane, 2:25 AM) when the alarm sounded. It showed 36 PSI on the curbside tire of the Bambi. I was blessed with a wide shoulder, so I pulled over to confirm. Sure enough, it read 28 PSI. Curiously, there was no sound of escaping air, nor could I find any sign of a puncture. I managed to get the tire changed and got underway. The tire still reads 26 PSI. Any theories on why it stopped leaking at that point? Time for some new tires anyway. They still have good tread, but are 4 years old. I'm very thankful this didn't happen on the bridge.

Next adventure...

Later on down the road, I thought I'd treat myself to a little white knuckle rush hour driving through Charlotte, NC. With trucks on both sides, and a nondescript white sedan about 15 feet off my rear bumper, a large pile of what appeared to be a mangled aluminum ladder, appeared about 100 yards in front of me after a small car swerved around it. Surrounded, and with little time to react, I slowed down as much as I safely could and plowed over it. It sounded really bad. I looked in the mirrors to see pieces of metal flying through the air on both sides. Thinking the worst (transmission, drive shaft, gas tank, rear, etc), I pulled over at the next exit for an inspection of the truck and Bambi, and found only the slightest scratch on the curbside shield. Not a scratch on the truck or the underside of the camper. The F-250 4WD has some really sturdy shields protecting the important parts. Perhaps the WD hitch, which was the lowest point of the rig, plowed the debris away from the Bambi.
Pure speculation.

Safely arrived in Fort Walton Beach yesterday afternoon. We're expecting violent thunderstorms, 60 MPH wind gusts, coastal flooding, and there's a tornado warning in about 35 minutes.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #114
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ranger,

Sounds like a peaceful vacation, so far.

I guess once the tire pressure gets to a certain point, there's not enough pressure to force more air out, especially since there's no weight on the tire.

The ladder story reminds me of those things I think about when I'm stuck behind some guy in a pickup or flatbed with stuff not secured well. There's more than the WD hitch to hit things—the safety chains, brake wire and umbilical. Without towing, when I see something on the road, I try to go right down the middle, but with all the above things plus the sewer drain and other things under the trailer, I'm not sure where to aim anymore when I am towing.

I wonder what the guy in the white sedan tailgating you thought when pieces came flying at him?

Gene
Old 05-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Problem solved...

After a closer inspection, it was the valve stem. I'm still getting new tires. After reading through most of this thread, it looks like I may have to make some hard decisions about the kind of tires.

Gene - That's what I did, went right down the middle. And I also would have liked to have seen the look on the face of the tailgater.
WDCU
Old 09-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
I don't know if all brands work the same way, but the Doran 360 and the Pressure Pro sensors have batteries in them. When the batteries die, you have to order new sensors for $50 each. After a trip I remove the sensors so the sensor stops reading pressure and sending a signal. I think this will extend the life of the battery.

Gene
I just received a system from Hawkshead, outta Canada SEMI TRUCK TPMS, RV, MOTORHOME TPMS, COMMERCIAL VEHICLE TPMS, HEAVY EQUIPMENT, BUS, TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS
The main reason I ordered this one is the sensors use 3V lithium replaceable batteries...price was reasonable and it came with metal valve stems...I post how well things go....
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #117
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
HiHo, looks like an advance as replacement sensors are $50 each. How much does this one cost?

Gene
Old 09-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thanks for the link, HiHo. I checked it out. It looks like a good system with some neat features, like the replaceable batteries for the sensors, the portability of the main unit, and the temperature readings. I would imagine that most of us would require the signal booster because of the 25-30 ft. range. Should my PressurePro go south, I would definitely give this one a serious look.
WDCU
Old 09-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
HiHo, looks like an advance as replacement sensors are $50 each. How much does this one cost?

Gene
Sensors were $43 with a new metal valve stem, $38 w/o the stem if I remember correctly.
I paid $408 delivered, 6 wheel sensors, 6 metal valve stems, batteries for the sensors, dash mount for the display and a amplifier. I can return the amplifier if I don't need it. It took longer to read the instruction pages than install the stuff. As soon as I finished, the thing lit up like a christmas tree since all 6 tires were between 45 and 48 psi and my setpoint was 60.

They recommend the metal stems to assist in transfering heat to the sensor so it can better monitor the temps.

1st outing is Saturday...all the tires are 6+ years old, I will be watching the system closely for all 5 miles to the campground
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #120
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sounds like a better deal than my Doran. It cost $400 for 4 sensors and the monitor. It does have a much longer range—100' or so is the farthest I've had the truck from the trailer and it worked. I take the sensors off when we're home to save the batteries. I like the tire temp. feature too. The suction cups on the Doran monitor have stayed on the windshield for 1 1/2 years, so they are real good. I expect I'll be using the Doran for some time, but it's good to see this technology is advancing.

Gene