Old 05-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
An adventure...

Let me preface this by saying I've traveled tens of thousands of safe, uneventful miles:

I suppose I could say the PressurePro just paid for itself the night before last. While en route to Florida, we had just crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (4.3 miles long, under construction, all traffic routed to the southbound span, single lane, 2:25 AM) when the alarm sounded. It showed 36 PSI on the curbside tire of the Bambi. I was blessed with a wide shoulder, so I pulled over to confirm. Sure enough, it read 28 PSI. Curiously, there was no sound of escaping air, nor could I find any sign of a puncture. I managed to get the tire changed and got underway. The tire still reads 26 PSI. Any theories on why it stopped leaking at that point? Time for some new tires anyway. They still have good tread, but are 4 years old. I'm very thankful this didn't happen on the bridge.

Next adventure...

Later on down the road, I thought I'd treat myself to a little white knuckle rush hour driving through Charlotte, NC. With trucks on both sides, and a nondescript white sedan about 15 feet off my rear bumper, a large pile of what appeared to be a mangled aluminum ladder, appeared about 100 yards in front of me after a small car swerved around it. Surrounded, and with little time to react, I slowed down as much as I safely could and plowed over it. It sounded really bad. I looked in the mirrors to see pieces of metal flying through the air on both sides. Thinking the worst (transmission, drive shaft, gas tank, rear, etc), I pulled over at the next exit for an inspection of the truck and Bambi, and found only the slightest scratch on the curbside shield. Not a scratch on the truck or the underside of the camper. The F-250 4WD has some really sturdy shields protecting the important parts. Perhaps the WD hitch, which was the lowest point of the rig, plowed the debris away from the Bambi.
Pure speculation.

Safely arrived in Fort Walton Beach yesterday afternoon. We're expecting violent thunderstorms, 60 MPH wind gusts, coastal flooding, and there's a tornado warning in about 35 minutes.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ranger,

Sounds like a peaceful vacation, so far.

I guess once the tire pressure gets to a certain point, there's not enough pressure to force more air out, especially since there's no weight on the tire.

The ladder story reminds me of those things I think about when I'm stuck behind some guy in a pickup or flatbed with stuff not secured well. There's more than the WD hitch to hit things—the safety chains, brake wire and umbilical. Without towing, when I see something on the road, I try to go right down the middle, but with all the above things plus the sewer drain and other things under the trailer, I'm not sure where to aim anymore when I am towing.

I wonder what the guy in the white sedan tailgating you thought when pieces came flying at him?

Gene

Old 05-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Problem solved...

After a closer inspection, it was the valve stem. I'm still getting new tires. After reading through most of this thread, it looks like I may have to make some hard decisions about the kind of tires.

Gene - That's what I did, went right down the middle. And I also would have liked to have seen the look on the face of the tailgater.
WDCU
Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #116

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I don't know if all brands work the same way, but the Doran 360 and the Pressure Pro sensors have batteries in them. When the batteries die, you have to order new sensors for $50 each. After a trip I remove the sensors so the sensor stops reading pressure and sending a signal. I think this will extend the life of the battery.

I don't know if anyone has found a way to open the sensor (if it can be done) and replace the battery themselves.

Gene
I just received a system from Hawkshead, outta Canada SEMI TRUCK TPMS, RV, MOTORHOME TPMS, COMMERCIAL VEHICLE TPMS, HEAVY EQUIPMENT, BUS, TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS
The main reason I ordered this one is the sensors use 3V lithium replaceable batteries...price was reasonable and it came with metal valve stems...I post how well things go....
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
HiHo, looks like an advance as replacement sensors are $50 each. How much does this one cost?

Gene
Old 09-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thanks for the link, HiHo. I checked it out. It looks like a good system with some neat features, like the replaceable batteries for the sensors, the portability of the main unit, and the temperature readings. I would imagine that most of us would require the signal booster because of the 25-30 ft. range. Should my PressurePro go south, I would definitely give this one a serious look.
WDCU
Old 09-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #119

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
HiHo, looks like an advance as replacement sensors are $50 each. How much does this one cost?

Gene
Sensors were $43 with a new metal valve stem, $38 w/o the stem if I remember correctly.
I paid $408 delivered, 6 wheel sensors, 6 metal valve stems, batteries for the sensors, dash mount for the display and a amplifier. I can return the amplifier if I don't need it. It took longer to read the instruction pages than install the stuff. As soon as I finished, the thing lit up like a christmas tree since all 6 tires were between 45 and 48 psi and my setpoint was 60.

They recommend the metal stems to assist in transfering heat to the sensor so it can better monitor the temps.

1st outing is Saturday...all the tires are 6+ years old, I will be watching the system closely for all 5 miles to the campground
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sounds like a better deal than my Doran. It cost $400 for 4 sensors and the monitor. It does have a much longer range—100' or so is the farthest I've had the truck from the trailer and it worked. I take the sensors off when we're home to save the batteries. I like the tire temp. feature too. The suction cups on the Doran monitor have stayed on the windshield for 1 1/2 years, so they are real good. I expect I'll be using the Doran for some time, but it's good to see this technology is advancing.

Gene
Old 09-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Sensors were $43 with a new metal valve stem, $38 w/o the stem if I remember correctly.
I paid $408 delivered, 6 wheel sensors, 6 metal valve stems, batteries for the sensors, dash mount for the display and a amplifier. I can return the amplifier if I don't need it. It took longer to read the instruction pages than install the stuff. As soon as I finished, the thing lit up like a christmas tree since all 6 tires were between 45 and 48 psi and my setpoint was 60.

They recommend the metal stems to assist in transfering heat to the sensor so it can better monitor the temps.

1st outing is Saturday...all the tires are 6+ years old, I will be watching the system closely for all 5 miles to the campground

I just ordered one of the HawksHead systems today as well,

4 sensors with user-serviceable batts., monitor good for up to 22 tires and 120psi, AA Batt powered weatherproof signal booster, total, $350 Can. to my door, taxes incl.

Seemed a fair price. I believe I can use the monitor and two sensors on my Goldwing when not in use on the Airstream which is a plus for me.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

4 sensors with user-serviceable batts., monitor good for up to 22 tires and 120psi, AA Batt powered weatherproof signal booster, total, $350 Can. to my door, taxes incl.

Seemed a fair price. I believe I can use the monitor and two sensors on my Goldwing when not in use on the Airstream which is a plus for me.

Brian
That would be $329 US.

Gene
Old 09-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #123
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

Brian
Well,

Since I have always not liked to feel left out, I decided to order the HawksHead system also. I decided to get sensors for the truck as well, but since I don't have a trip planned for a couple months, I decided to see if I need the amplifier before I order it. Thanks to everyone in this thread for all the good info.
Regards,
Ken
Old 09-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #124
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Peoria , Arizona
[ Try Truck systoems tec www.tsttruck.com Excellent prices

Since I have always not liked to feel left out, I decided to order the HawksHead system also. I decided to get sensors for the truck as well, but since I don't have a trip planned for a couple months, I decided to see if I need the amplifier before I order it. Thanks to everyone in this thread for all the good info.
Regards,
Ken[/QUOTE]
Old 09-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #125
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Peoria , Arizona
Try truck Systems Tec www.tsttruck.com I purchase my there work great and they have excellent prices