Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

I have the PressurePro system and it saved my bacon last week.

I was coming out of Big Bend TX on I-10 heading for San Antonio when a low-pressure alarm went off. I let off the gas and coasted to the side. When I reached the offending tire, it was just losing its last 10 pounds. It turned out to be a tread separation in 92F February weather.

I've found the tried-and-true PressurePro system to pay for itself in just one incident. Another mile or so, and that tire would have released all its Road Gators to thrash my rig, possibly causing several thousand dollars in damage.

Thanks to the RV gods for PressurePro!
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
New Pressure Pro

The new Pressure Pro apparently has a separate warning system for very rapid drops in pressure. This is the one with the smaller monitor and more mounting options included. I returned the old one I just received and ordered the new one. No discount on the new one; they were discounting the old ones to get rid of them. I am not sure I want to screw it to the top of the dashboard because I'll sell this truck someday and holes in the dash don't help resale. Maybe I could put black round head screws in the holes and they wouldn't be so visible.

When I get the new one and read the very long instructions and see how it works and how to mount it, I'll let everyone know.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
I guess it's all about safety!

Hi guys

Ok...I got the big truck and then the HAHA.....now a tire pressure gauge?

Is there any real difference between all of the different units?

With the TPMS you can "add air" without removing the sensor. Is this really a plus?

What about the Pressure Pro vs. the Doran 360? (just saw their add in the recent Good Sam magazine)

Thoughts?

Thanks
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #64
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
O yeah....one more thing.
Do you do all eight wheels? Truck and trailer? Seems like a wise decision if you're going to get a system.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #65
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dennis,

The Pressure Pro and the Doran 360 are one and the same. Doran is a Pressure Pro distributor though they sort of make it sound like they make it.

Most new vehicles have a tire pressure sensor system built in, though not as sophisticated a system as the Pressure Pro. It seems to me you'll know soon enough if you lose pressure on the TV; it's the trailer that's the problem.

Gene
Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
Thanks Gene

That saves me $200.00!!

Dennis
Old 03-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
2008 Ford 250 low tire pressure warning

Hi guys

One more question.

I checked my owner's guide for my 2008 Ford 250.
In the vehicle symbol glossary I found there is a "Low Tire Pressure Warning" symbol but that's it.....no other info to be found in the guide.

Any idea how this works?.....you have a flat tire and the symbol lights up?

Thanks again
Dennis
Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #68
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Gene, they are totally different.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
Hi guys

One more question.

In the vehicle symbol glossary I found there is a "Low Tire Pressure Warning" symbol but that's it.....no other info to be found in the guide.

Any idea how this works?.....you have a flat tire and the symbol lights up?

Thanks again
Dennis
Dennis...our 07 Tacoma has its own tire pressure monitoring system as well, so we only use the PressurePros on the AS... The Tacoma's system doesn't give you as much information as PP, and I don't know exacatly how it works...it just indicates that there is a low pressure on one of your tires...you have to figure out which one...a warning light comes on... It has gone off for us a couple of times, and we have found a nail in the tire...it's very sensitive, though...I could not tell visually that there was eveb a problem...it was only about 10 lbs low, and there was plenty of air left to get to a tire place to get it fixed... I'll take all the help I can get!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:39 AM   #70
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I believe the low pressure alarms that come on new cars and trucks uses the number of wheel revolutions per mile on your tires. If one wheel is turning more revolutions per mile than the other three, that's tire must be low. The signal comes from the same encoder rings that the ABS system uses to detect skidage.

It only works if you keep all tires the same size. It isn't super accurate, I think it will alarm if one tire pressure is 25% lower than the others.

It won't work if all tires blow at the same time, so don't drive over the spike strips. Just head for the ditch and go around.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #71
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
In the vehicle symbol glossary I found there is a "Low Tire Pressure Warning" symbol but that's it.....no other info to be found in the guide. Any idea how this works?.....you have a flat tire and the symbol lights up?
I put new tures on my 03 Explorer and the techs told me that is the "valve stem" that contains the sensor.

Last Fall, on the first really cold day I started it up and it illuminated on the dash an alert that the tires were all low. Until then I didn't know I had the feature. I also looked in the owners manual to no avail. I did check the tire pressure and they were all low. It had nothing to do with rotations as the vehicle hadn't moved for a couple days when I turned the key on.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #72
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I agree the systems on trucks and cars are very different than the Pressure Pro. The Pressure Pro measures actual tire pressure and tells under- or over- pressure and has a audible alarm.

The systems on newer vehicles are a mystery to me and seem to have different sensors depending on manufacturer. On our '06 4Runner it measures the spare too (that's the most worn tire and has been a spare through several tire rotation cycles). Of course it's the spare that loses air faster than the others and the hardest to get to (Murphy's Law). Since the spare isn't rotating unless I roll the 4Runner, Toyota used a different system on that SUV. The dealer's service dep't hates these because they are sensitive and easily damaged when tires are changed—I think they have a sensor on the wheel which actually measures pressure, but I don't know how the signal gets to the dashboard—radio?. Of course, the tech told me it measures rotation and when I suggested the spare doesn't rotate, he admitted he's confused as anyone. Our '07 Tundra doesn't measure the spare, but I have no idea how it works, but it may be different, or maybe Toyota wanted to save a few dollars. The 4Runner system is pretty sensitive. The one on the Tundra has never done anything. Both just have a warning light easy to ignore. A sensor in the valve stem seems difficult to believe—that tech may have been wrong.

I'm hoping in a few years the auto and truck manufacturers figure out a low priced system that does what the Pressure Pro does and then sell low priced additional sensors for trailers. The only reason the Pressure Pro is so expensive is because it's not mass produced. It's worth the price to me because the risk of a flat carries such a high price, but I'd rather pay a lot less.

Gene
Old 03-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
I got this post from a Ford forum when I asked the same question

All 2008 vehicles & up have this tpms system fed. mandate sensors are made on valve stem.8 psi. or more in tire press. will turn on lite & that also includes the spare tire
Old 03-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #74
_

. , .
back ground info and other threads with more of the same blah, blah, blah....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/444554-post9.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tor-31207.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tor-12432.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...last-8680.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...tem-24526.html

the newer system from mobile awareness, lewster suggested above looks promising too...

Transportation Safety Products

my preference is for monitoring INSIDE the wheel at the stem...

and keep in mind that SOME of the big vehicle supplied tpms are designed only for use with RUN FLAT tires....

now run flat ST tires for the 'stream would be COOL!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:59 PM   #75
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Run expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
now run flat ST tires for the 'stream would be COOL!

cheers
2air'
What I've read about run flat tires is that they don't last long and cost a lot more than regular tires.

Perhaps solid rubber tires will have a comeback.

Gene
Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #76
_

. , .
but the technology marches on...

make mine tweel...

imagine for example an airless trailer tire carcass that could be retread...

we'll be using these soon on cars and they are already in use on heavy equipment...

cheers
2air
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airless-tires.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	56478   Click image for larger version

Name:	tires.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	56479  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tires2.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	56480  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Great info, but a question....

2air etal -

Been eyeing something like this for quite a time as I have one of the loooonnnggg trailers, and in reading the PP and the Doran sites, both mention that 'metal bodied' RV's "might" require a repeater.... any thoughts?

Has anyone else had issues with signals not getting to the monitor because of metal interference???

Looks like the prices have come down a bit from the last time I looked this things over.... still mulling, but the info will likely nudge me along.

Thanks

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #78
_

. , .
'toy

competition often brings lower prices (except in the medical world)

these folks seem to being stepping into the rv side previously held by dorian...

Transportation Safety Products

lewster has used this setup, i think.

i'd prefer stem units INSIDE the wheel, but if i were to attach an external valve stem type...

these new guys look promising ...

there data sheet suggest transmittal up to 50 ft? as i recall? and a lower threshold for sensing pressure loss...?

if that's correct a 34 on a long bed truck is pushing those transmittal numbers.

i've not learned anything about repeaters, but an email to tech support at either company might be useful.

cheers
2air'

Old 03-18-2008, 05:56 AM   #79
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
2air etal -

Been eyeing something like this for quite a time as I have one of the loooonnnggg trailers, and in reading the PP and the Doran sites, both mention that 'metal bodied' RV's "might" require a repeater.... any thoughts?

Has anyone else had issues with signals not getting to the monitor because of metal interference???

Looks like the prices have come down a bit from the last time I looked this things over.... still mulling, but the info will likely nudge me along.

Thanks

Axel
SilverToy
Lats year when I used to sell and install the PP system, I did have problems with metal bodied (Prevost) MoHos in getting the signal up to the dash and the receiver. Also, the big fiberglass bodied MoHos (just about everything else) with multiple slides also had problems. The other problem area that needed the echo repeater was length.

When you had a 45' bus towing a 3-axle 35' trailer, it was a real job to get the signal up to the receiver.....sometimes WITH the repeater as well. The Mobile Awareness system is designed to be used with tractor-trailer combinations and has an externally mounted antenna to provide the extra gain to compensate for the additional length.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #80
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
New Pressure Pro

I just received the newest model of the Pressure Pro from Doran. They call it the Doran 360. Perhaps Anderson Cooper is involved.

There are many more options for mounting without an extra charge for them. The suction cup option has three suction cups and seems to provide extra stability compared to one cup. I'm trying it on the windshield. If you want to stick it on a flat empty place on the dashboard, they provided 6 pieces of Velcro with sticky backs, but all of them were for only one side of the Velcro; there should have been three fuzzy ones to match the ones that look like miniature beds of plastic nails.

The monitor is smaller and seems to be better thought out. The sending units on the tires now have locking things. They seem to attach to the valve stem with three really small allen screws, but I'm not sure they should be used on rubber valve stems—which are what came with my '08 Safari. It's also packaged much better than the previous model. Doran told me it was ok to use the sending units on a rubber valve stem for a while, but to replace them fairly soon.

I'll install it this weekend and hope to try it on a one week trip to New Mexico if the weather stays nice.

Gene