Old 11-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Mongo like candy.

Steve, as Howie indicates, tires should be inflated to the manufacturer's recommendation cold (prior to use) for the weight that the tire is expected to carry. As an example, most manufacturers' E-range 275 75R16 tires are rated from 50-95psi depending on the load, and they have a chart showing what the inflation should be for the load.

If your Airstream's plaque says run 'em at 65 psi, that should be good, and it should be cold. It's smart to check them from time to time to make sure that they're all the same temperature when rolling (if one is hotter, that's a good indication that either the pressure is lower than the rest, or that there's a bearing or brake problem), but I wouldn't worry about what the pressure is hot, as long as they were at or near 65psi cold when you started.

Roger

Old 11-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
Too much pressure is safer than too little.
Some years back in another life, I was involved in a test w/ the Goodyear folks regarding tire pressure and stopping distance. According to them, the optimum stopping ability w/ the highest coefficient of friction is right at the "max pressure" imprinted on the tire.

That's not to say it will be the smoothest ride, the longest life, or the best handling but the optimum ability to stop! That was what the testing was about. Hundreds of tires and lots of miles that day.

As an aside, boys will be boys and the conversation turned to over inflation and under inflation. Yes, under inflation is bad and over inflation is not good but is not dangerous. Before the day was out, we were riding around on tires w/ 200 psi (yes, that is 200) and it was interesting ride. They stopped like we were on ice and under steered through turns because of the narrow footprint and they wore incredibly fast. No blowouts other than a couple of times the pull through stems left at a high rate of speed but it had the roughest ride imaginable. According to the engineers, they are capable of 350+.

Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
I use 65 PSI in my tires because that is the tire pressure that Airstream recommends for my particular tire/trailer combination. It is stamped into a small plaque on the side of my trailer. I have a heavy trailer because of the slideout.
OK lets bring in another variable. If your trailer has a slide out it most likely has a different weight per axle side to side. Under this condition you shold be inflating the tires on each side by the load on that side.

It is common with motor homes to have a different tire pressure at all 4 corners. If you have ever been to a Family Motor Coach rally one of the biggest points stressed is proper tire inflation based on individual wheel load.

Airstream has an inflation of 50 lbs. for my tri axle, the max pressure on the tire is 80 lbs. and I use 40 lbs based on the load.

I suspect any testing that inflated tires to 200 lbs was done for a early Candid Camera show. If it was done by a tire company it has been replaced by one with more engineering expertise and is reflected in the current inflation charts.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I suspect any testing that inflated tires to 200 lbs was done for a early Candid Camera show. If it was done by a tire company it has been replaced by one with more engineering expertise and is reflected in the current inflation charts.
I think you missed the point, Howie. The high inflation deal was the result of questions asked by the drivers about how much the tires would hold. It was not part of the actual tire testing for research purposes. The engineers already knew those results from previous efforts but wanted to demonstrate it to the drivers at the end of a very long day.

There was never any mention that that much tire pressure should be used on any vehicle on any highway nor was I suggesting you do it.
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #19
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
HowieE, I agreee with your view point.

To be blunt, I am just too cheap to part with the green backs it would take to obtain tires with a far greater rating than the max load I carry. I could move to a larger rim and get a greater load capacity in the larger tires.

Example, my boat trailer came equipped with 14" rims. The biggest load rating on the biggest 14" dia tires that are available are 1880 #'s a tire. 4 tires and that is 7520 # load rating. The actual load with a full fuel load and with out (a possible 26 gals of) water ran across the scale is 7350. If I added the water this would be another 200+ pounds of weight. I never tow the boat with any water in it and frequently the fuel tank has a less than full condition.

Observations;
I have to run max air pressure to get the load rating I desire out of these tires
To get more load capacity out of the wheel/tire combo, I have to fork over $ (may be a couple hundred +) to go to 15" rims with new tires and a spare. I also have to live with dropping the boat trailer further in the water because likely it would sit higher off the ground.

Mostly it is the money from stopping me from getting tires with a signficant greater load rating than the load. If I had these tires I would run them at a less pressure. However from my point of view is, if I have tires with that amount of reserve, it is a bit of waste in the job called to do. Like sending in an M1A1 task force group to serve a National Guard function. It can be done however it is a resource not needed for the job.

I believe trailer manufacturers think in the same patterns. The falacy becomes when they make an engineering error and cut the margin too thin. Or the consumer doesn't understand the complex nature of the parts and pieces and over loads. And to make another observation most consumers usually elect to pay less if they don't need more. This is the market place for many years.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action