Old 08-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Tire Option: International Signature- 27FB- 2019

Delivery expected for our new 2019 International Signature 27 foot by the end of next week after dealer installing Solar panels and 2 1/2 inch lift kit.

Searching the Internet, I discovered that it is very difficult to find FIVE Sendel 16 inch S20-66655T wheels for upgrading wheels and tires to LT225/75R/16/LTX M/S2 LRE tires, as I did on the 2014 Airstream International Signature.

I did find Four Sendel wheels available, but no response from the vendor with a possible fifth needed as a spare.

Are there other wheels that will fit the Airstream's six lug drums available in aluminum for 16 inch?

I am considering removing the Endurance 15 inch Goodyears and replace with the LTX 235/75R15 Defender Michelins.

It was tough enough some years back researching options to upgrade from 15" to 16" wheels. Now there is plenty of feedback on 16 inch Michelin LTX's.

Has anyone been using the 15 inch Michelin LTX? I understand that even those tires are getting difficult to locate... but I will be checking with Costco tomorrow for information.

My two questions:

- Are there other wheels that fit the Airstream in 16 inch? What is your experience and wheel information.

- Has anyone tried 15 inch Michelin LTX 235's on your 25 to 30 foot Airstream?

Old 08-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Ray,

Why not consider the 15" E rated GYE?
I got them last Season, very happy.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c9c.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	350186  

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Ray,

Why not consider the 15" E rated GYE?
I got them last Season, very happy.

Bob
����
Agree with Robert...why spend the extra $$ on wheels/tires? The GYE's are working out very well for me and many on the Forum. I get the Micheline mindset...I run Michelin's on all my vehicles, and would have them on my 28' now if they had them in 15" size, in an LT; but they don't. And...I did not want to replace 5 good wheels, just to add the Michelin's LT rated tires. Now, I am glad I went with the GYE's...they are working out just fine. I have 18K miles now since last summer. Perhaps I will change my mind if they don't hold up in terms of mileage, but they are working great. Why fix something that ain't broke?
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
For my kind of traveling a tire with deeper tread is important. At least now as new tires and wheels I can sell them to offset my long term expectations of 16 inch LTX Michelins. That is my philosophy as of an hour ago.

This trailer comes with Goodyear Endurance tires. Although the tire tread is maybe 50% of a Michelin. Wear them out faster and replace... then the numbers begin to look better.

My 2014 traveled without any tire issues for five years of serious traveling in what most would consider awful roads and campsites in the 'bush'.

My bad Marathon experience was with the 23 foot Safari with 14 inch C Rated... balloons. This gave Marathon a bad name and probably prompted an overhaul of the 15 inch from a D to an E.

I am still running from the original stink of my 14" Marathon 2006 23 foot Safari experiences. Made in New Zealand, as well.

When Airstream has as standard tires and wheels at 16" on the higher end 30 and 33 foot trailers... I am getting close to those lengths, the extra security of traveling on County, Forest Service and BLM is worth the extra out of pocket cost. Rock punctures are a serious concern about the ability of an Endurance to prevent a puncture.

Thanks for the responses. It gives everyone some information. And Gypsdad towing a 28 footer makes me think a bit.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Certainly the GY Endurance needs a few more years of a good track record for many people to start feeling warm and cozy to them. So far so good for our use of them but we don't go off road like you do (starting our 3rd year of GYE if I recall). At this point I think it is a good choice for trailer owners who want ST tires.
I know of several folks who use the Michelin 15" Defender XL series tire with highway running. It has softer sidewalls and I wouldn't go heavy off road. Just an opinion.
It may be that Michelin is changing their 16" LT tire lineup you may need to consider another brand.

Here are two brands of tires I see most consistently in our neck of the eastern USA woods.
If you wanted to go 16" tire consider then I would consider the Cooper Discoverer HT3. It is commercial tire.
http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-ht3

You may even consider the Firestone Transforce HT. It is a 16" commercial tire.
https://www.firestonetire.com/tire/transforce-ht
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I run the 15” Michelin Defender tires on my 25’ Airstream. My 3rd set of the LTX line in 11 years so I like them. I do not pull on dirt roads much except for 2 trips to Alaska. My trailer is several thousand lbs lighter than yours. You will be right on the limit for the p235s. I change every 4 years no matter what the tread looks like. Frankly I see no tread wear at all from my trailer. But for your weight I would do the 16” wheels or stay with the GYE or maybe the Michelin’s after I had checked actual weights and ratings.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Any brand 16x6 wheel with 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern should work as long as it has sufficient weight rating as well.

I run Michelin all steel XPS on 16Ē Sendels and like you put them on shortly after I picked the trailer up from the dealer. Iím sure there is lots of room to debate whether it was absolutely necessary, but for me, the peace of mind was worth it.

I ended up having to try 5 or so different places online before I found a place that actually had them in stock. recstuff.com is who I ultimately bought the from ó mind you that was 2.5 years ago.
dmcgaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:46 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Ray,

Slightly off-topic, but what is the purpose of the 2 1/2" lift kit?

Cheers,

Bryan
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Ray; have you actually wore out a trailer tire? In 14 years and many tens of thousands of miles, I have never worn out a trailer tire. At about 3 years old two original tires got sidewall bubbles so they were replaced. The other two original tires started to seperate at 7 years old, so they were replaced. And finally just before our cross country trip I had four new tires installed. So my trailer is on it's third set of tires and they still look like new.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:46 AM   #10
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ray,

I bought Hi Spec when I converted. Link only, I haven't done any current research.

http://www.hispecwheel.com/

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Thank you for each of your opinions. You would be led to believe that someone who has owned several Airstreams since 2006 would have all of the answers... but second guessing ones self is good.

I ordered SIX 16x6 Sendel ST-S20-66655T wheels yesterday, after reading earlier comments. I missed Gary's Hi Spec reference to follow up on that.

I will sell the wheels and Goodyear tires to offset the cost of my 16 inch wheels and tires.

Performance Plus, who I purchased these wheels for the 2014, did not carry them any longer. It sounded like they and Sendel could not work out a price to offer them.

I found them at Shadow Trailers in California for a cost of $617.45 Fed Ex delivery included. Performance Plus charged me $555.00 delivered Fed Ex in 2014.

The 27 foot FB International Signature is bit more trailer and for our kind of camping, the psychological aspects from 14 inch Marathon blowout and multiple flat tires just cannot be erased. Especially the frustration of being sold them on the Airstream, then sold High Run tires that were worse, then finally Costco Greenball Towmasters that DID work out until selling the trailer.

Blacklab asked a great question about the 2 1/2 inch lift kit. Well... since I brought up the access into our RV Garage with the salesman... and said lets hook this up and see if it will work... presto, lift kit at no charge. The Airstream rides low which is feature to making it less wind resistant to towing. The 2 1/2 inch lift gives me that much more clearance and the 16 inch wheels and tires about 1/2 inch more. A number of Boondockers are doing this themselves. Clearance is always an issue on roads that are not... Interstate compliant.

I insisted on the Equalizer Hitch with 1,000# bars. Worked excellent with the 25 foot International. The Dealer sells Blue Ox and I wanted none of the 'chain bit' anymore like our earlier Equalizer with chains.

There is a learning curve when changing length in a trailer. Even when experienced you second guess everything. With 50 amp service that will be a new change to work around. Then keeping the AGM batteries charging while stored in a RV Garage is the next... grind to work around.

This all hit after the phone call that the Dealership was going 100% getting this deal done by the end of next week... rather than into the first week of September. The feedback given on this Thread and following others... makes it easier to manage to weigh opinions and experiences.

It was easy to sit at the Dealer's Lot, pick something out, work out a price, they install whatever hitch they sell, pay... and off into the Sunset. Well... once you have had a trailer or two... the rolling in bed at 3AM will hit you, some day, as well.

So... here I am. Getting into more mischief and second guessing myself. Almost like picking which lousy road into the Gila National Forest of New Mexico will work best to find a good Boondock site.

I will sleep well after going through 100% of this trailer before paying a dime. It will have to be operational before we leave the lot. Been there before and after paying the time it takes to get something serviced takes... for... ever.

I encourage others to jump in and kick up some alternatives, but right now I checked one more item off my list of... well, one. The rest is attached to the trailer and hope that this trailer is operational the minute I own it.

I may be the only Airstream customer who will be bringing a 'creeper' to slide under the trailer and check EVERYTHING OUT. This should be interesting.

Thank you.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:53 AM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Safe travels....

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Safe travels....

Bob
🇺🇸
You do the same.

Added the Tele-Steps to set up along the awnings to look at the roof.

Nancy awoke in the middle of the night... to add some questions to her list.

We learned over time you question everything on a purchase like this. The Airstream warranty part of the trailer was two pages of smaller print and some bold titles. You need to sign at the bottom and date... once thinking you have figured out that most of the trailer is not Airstream... but the suppliers. That we knew, but even more detailed than in the past.

The dealer offered a protection system... that we do not need. If you live on an ocean coastline with salt in the air, or where roads get salt in the Winters... probably not a bad idea... but we live in the Mohave Desert.

Another pitch is the Protect your Investment, which is also covered on this Forum. We searched out other opinions on searches and we do not need this coverage. Although someone who is not 'handy' might... we have a hundred pounds of tools from the last two trailers. Some used a couple times, but you need it. The battery screw driver is the Number One need.

This Thread probably belongs in the International Trailer section... but things happen not in a particular order on a new trailer. Tomorrow... who knows.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:24 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Mesa , Arizona
I’ve got a 2015 27FB Signature and removed the OEM Goodyear Marathons and replaced with the Michelin LTX M/S2 P235/75R15XL 108T tires. I did it at Discount Tire and have nothing but pleased with the results.

See the copy below:

Using a passenger rated tire as suggested by Can Am

So IMO this means you should consider the Defender LTX 235/75R15 XL as a passenger tire. It is designed for higher inflation and therefore higher load capacity than a normal "standard load" passenger tire but if you use it in trailer application (which it is not intended for) you must de-rate that load.
I will not go into the discussion of warranty being void if the tire is used inappropriately as others have their opinions on that topic.

I hope but will not hold my breath, that this statement from Michelin will settle the questions from many.

I had my Michelins installed at Town Fair Tire. I called in advance, explained what I was doing in switching out the GYMs for the Michelins (15", not the 16" wheel upgrade) and had them install the TST internal TPMS units in each tire

I was due for GYM replacement and decided to go with the current Michelin LTX M/S2 P235/75R15XL 108T tires. Pulled the 5 tires/wheels off the AS and brought them down to my local Costco for mounting and balancing and the current (January 2016) $70 rebate. The tire tech thought this was a great move, but his manager not so much. Told me that since I was replacing GYM ST tires which had a higher load rating (D) than the Michelin, he wouldn't extend Michelin's warranty or free rotation. Based on the history of so many forum users of this tire, my AS CAT Scale weights, and my own personal Michelin experience, I wasn't worried about warranty claims. I did make sure the tire serial numbers were registered with Michelin.

Last summer I used a 27FB for my demo and since we were driving some rough roads at higher speeds I ran the Michelins at 40 PSI. They ran cool as cucumber even at that pressure, I may have given up a touch of fuel mileage though.

I am sure there are other 235 LT tires out there that will work well also I just am reluctant to change when we have such a great track record with these.

Andrew Thomson
www.canamrv.ca
London, Ontario

Check your gross axle weight rating. The 15" LTX, derated 10% to 1983lbs, need to exceed the GAWR for the trailer.

My trailer has a gross weight of 6800 lbs. But the GAWR is 6300 lbs. When hooked up and traveling the load on the axles is 5600 lbs.

It is likely that your GAWR is considerably less than the 7600 gross weight of the trailer.

I have been running the LTX you mentioned for 4 years and it has done a good job.

If you feel you still need the extra load from the ST tires, so be it. But keep in mind that the ST tires are tested and rated by a different test so, to me, the direct comparison of the load rating is suspect.

citruscove is offline   Reply With Quote