Old 07-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I live in Phoenix, AZ, and travel in the desert southwest in the summer (110 to 115+ degrees).

This discussion is interesting. However, after switching to 16" LT tires, I think I have done about all I can to minimize our chances of a catastrophic failure; and I prefer not to overthink this subject further.

I replaced the ST tires with the best tires I could find (Michelin XPS Ribs), and pumped them up to the maximum sidewall pressure (80 psi). Short of selling our Bambi and buying a lighter SOB, what else can I do?

3 years; 20k miles; absolutely no tire problems -- Don't worry, be happy...

Old 07-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #16
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

Short of selling our Bambi and buying a lighter SOB, what else can I do?

3 years; 20k miles; absolutely no tire problems -- Don't worry, be happy...
Selling your trailer would defeat the purpose of having one. I know that is a duh and yet it is obvious.

The question can be answered in another kind of duh, be dilligent in checking/correcting tire pressures and general condition before leaving every time. Do a visual when stopped. Keep them covered when parked for any period. (especially in the Valley of the Sun) Avoid road hazards if possible and a lower travel speed will extend the tire life.

Those are on going things that you can do. And still issues will occur. So enjoy your camping when you are out and forget the issues after they have been handled.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 07-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #17
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Yeah, I'm generally viewing my TPMS as something that helps with trends and catastrophic shifts in pressure / temp vs. being especially accurate. Honestly, none of my tire pressure gauges agree precisely with each other or with the TPMS. So I could drive myself crazy pretty easily.

For now, I've settled on a pressure gauge that seems well made and is incredibly easy to use, which I can insert inline between my tire inflator and the tire. I don't trust the built-in gauge on my tire inflator at all, btw. So I set all my trailer tires to 65PSI and double check to see that the truck tires are at 39PSI before I start towing that day. From there, I do as has been suggested here. I watch the TPMS for my trailer for pressure and temperature anomalies, and watch the TPMS built into my truck dash for pressure anomalies on the truck tires. I do visual inspections at every stop. Since I have a little IR temp detector, I might even start using it to check external tire temps to see what I learn.

If the trailer tire readings all change similarly (e.g. pressures and temps on each side make sense based on where the sun is shining and relative to each other) I don't worry too much. If ambient temps through the day and/or altitude have changed dramatically, I'll take a break at some point, hopefully in a shady spot, to let the tires cool for an hour or so to get a reasonably cool reading and then decide what to do.

Beyond that, I'm probably just making myself nuts.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
I started this thread, and am fascinated by the various replies. It appears that there are so many paths to follow, and like most activities, many different ways of arriving at the end result. The "take away" conclusion(s) that I have drawn so far is that increased speed = increased temperatures, regardless of the ambient temperature; and, accurate, consistent tire pressure checks are key. I think I am going to do what I have been doing: before every trip torque the lug nuts, check the tire pressure (cold!), drive no faster than 60 mph, and do my very loosey goosey sidewall temperature checks when I make a stop. Before starting home, I will do it again. If it fails, it fails. If it tears up the trailer skin, I will get it repaired.

However, I am not driving faster than 60 mph. That one thing seems to be the factor over which I have the most immediate control at all times.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
I started this thread, and am fascinated by the various replies. It appears that there are so many paths to follow, and like most activities, many different ways of arriving at the end result. The "take away" conclusion(s) that I have drawn so far is that increased speed = increased temperatures, regardless of the ambient temperature; and, accurate, consistent tire pressure checks are key. I think I am going to do what I have been doing: before every trip torque the lug nuts, check the tire pressure (cold!), drive no faster than 60 mph, and do my very loosey goosey sidewall temperature checks when I make a stop. Before starting home, I will do it again. If it fails, it fails. If it tears up the trailer skin, I will get it repaired.

However, I am not driving faster than 60 mph. That one thing seems to be the factor over which I have the most immediate control at all times.
That's a good plan...while your shooting the tire temps, hit the hub as well to check bearing health.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Silvery Moon - 39psi on your tow vehicle tires? Is that a typo? On my Chevy 2500 truck, the fronts are 65 cold, the rears are 75 cold. 39 just sounds very low to me?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #21
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
Hey thanks for the sanity check. Yeah, the door sticker on my 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie says the tires are P275/60R20 and that the pressure should be 39PSI cold with a GVWR of 6800 lbs.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
Hey thanks for the sanity check. Yeah, the door sticker on my 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie says the tires are P275/60R20 and that the pressure should be 39PSI cold with a GVWR of 6800 lbs.
Oops! I mad bad assumptions here about 3/4 ton w/LTs....my bad! Call it an insanity check :-)
Old 07-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #23
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Would that recommended tire pressure for a truck be in an unloaded condition? Or all manners of load?

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #24
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
I dunno. Some door sticker expert will have to tell us. I'm assuming they recommend 39psi across he board, all the way up to the GVWR, but i'm happy to learn different based on a citation that explains how to interpret door stickers.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Assuming Silvery Moon is running the OEM tires specified on the door sticker (which are low-profile, P-rated, passenger car tires that most likely have "44 psi maximum" printed on the sidewalls), 39 psi sounds about right. Many pickups come with P-rated tires now, for a soft car-like ride. (Our Tundra came with "P" tires in 2008.)

I used to run 44 psi in all of our "P" tires when towing. After switching to "E" rated LT tires, I now run 55 psi front and 65 psi rear, when towing. However, the appropriate inflation pressure depends on your individual TV's tires, engine, equipment, etc., and the tongue weight of your Airstream.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2012 Dodge 2500HD diesel wanted 60 psi front and 70, psi rear (tire load capacities equaled axle rating) except when unloaded. Then the rear pressure could be dropped to 45 psi. That made a huge ride comfort difference for my full figured wife

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:10 AM   #27
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Capri, I have noted and studied my pressures with TPMS on the TV as well as the AS. I had always lived by the 10% rule and accepted it at face value. The TVs (many of them) all are well within the 10% rule when pressured according to load.

However, on the AS (Michelin LTX MS) it doesn't matter whether I have 70psi, or 75psi, or 80 psi in the tires, I am always between 10% and 12% pressure rise. Last scale reading I was right at 4100 - 4200# per axle.

Speed makes a difference, but I can't figure why pressure seems not to. TPMS accuracy? But it is consistent day to day.

Infra red temps taken at edge of tread at side wall as well as in between tread blocks never gets above 123* or so....even in AZ last summer.

What gives?
You sent me scurrying to my calculator to answer this one!!

If I raise the inflation pressure from 70 psi to 80 psi, I am increasing the load carrying capacity by about 20%. That should result in a 20% drop in temperature build up.

So if someone is experiencing a 7 psi pressure build up at 70 psi, then he should experience a 6 psi build up at 80 psi. (Please be aware that I am rounding.)

That's not a lot of difference - and certainly within measurement error using those cheap tire pressure gauges.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
You sent me scurrying to my calculator to answer this one!!

If I raise the inflation pressure from 70 psi to 80 psi, I am increasing the load carrying capacity by about 20%. That should result in a 20% drop in temperature build up.

So if someone is experiencing a 7 psi pressure build up at 70 psi, then he should experience a 6 psi build up at 80 psi. (Please be aware that I am rounding.)

That's not a lot of difference - and certainly within measurement error using those cheap tire pressure gauges.
I'll have you know I paid $3.95 for my Slime digital tire pressure gage at Walmart!