Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Tire monitoring systems

After reading many of the posts on tire I am looking to install a tire monitoring system on our 25 ft Flying Cloud. Reading the forum I see two brands that are constantly mention. They are Pressure Pro and Hawks Head. But I am not sure which one to purchase. My TV is a 2007 Yukon that has a built in tire monitoring system for the vehicle.

Are they easy to instal by yourself, do I need more then a basic system (4 monitors for the trailer tires only) and where is the best place to purchase them.

Thanks

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
I'm using what you describe on my 27FB International with my Silverado 2500HD. My TV also has a built in TPMS and the system I bought could not be any more simple. Just screw on four external modules, mount the monitor in the truck and go. One simple setup procedure. The monitor came with spare batteries and a good manual.

I've been using it for a few months with no problems, it works just as advertised, I'd buy it again.

TireMinder Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Minder Research Inc TMG400C-4 - Tire Accessories - Camping World

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I've had a TPMS for about 5 years, and recommend them without hesitation. The setup was easy, and mine has been very reliable. In fact, it alerted me of a tire losing pressure due to a faulty valve stem, so I had time to correct it before the inevitable blowout. It's also a comfort to know the pressure of the tires at any time during a trip.

The only things I would do different is to get one that measures temperature and pressure, and has user changeable batteries. The one linked by xo1rider looks like a contender, and a good deal.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I agree with SilverRanger recommending one and Dill has a TPMS that does pressure and internal temp. I don't know if Dill has a user battery servicable system. Sensors mount inside, requires tire shop to install and balance. I'm running one.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I also have the Tire minder system. can handle up to 24 tires. so you can use multiple trailers. Comes with extra batteries and they say they will give you free batteries for life. So far it works great. Set up was easy. When I was looking it had no bad reviews..

I chose this because I didn't want to have to change stems. they just screw over the stem and have a lock if you want to put it on, so they don't wonder away.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Just installed the Talon TPMS; looks good so far, very easy to install, and measures pressure and temperature.

Question, though: What do people use for high and low pressures/temperatures? If I run tires at, say, 75 pounds pressure, do I set the high/low range at 70 and 80 pounds? Not sure what really happens to tire pressures and temperatures once rolling as to normal versus abnormal.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We've used the Doran 360 for about 4 years. It is similar to the Pressure Pro, except it was easier to find a way to mount it in the truck—with 3 suction cups to the windshield that actually stay there. Some tow vehicles have places you can put them elsewhere, but for our Tundra, that was the only way unless I wanted to put some screw holes in the dashboard.

It has worked well except every year or two it has to be reprogrammed because the programming deteriorates after a while.

There are other brands where you can replace the sensor batteries instead of having to buy new sensors. There are also brands where you can add or remove air from the tires without removing the sensors. Some tell you other info like tire temps.

Doran claims that if you get sensors with replaceable batteries, water and dirt can get in. Whether that's true, I don't know. Doran for 4 wheels is $300, but the sensor prices are not on their website, but elsewhere were $50 each. If I had to replace all 4, I'd start looking at other companies for a whole system, but I don't know about quality of the others (I'd check that too). I remove the sensors after each trip to save the batteries since they transmit continually when in place.

It's a pain to take them off and put them on, but since we got Michelin tires we don't lose air like we did with the OEM Marathon tires, so it is less of a problem.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
For a budget conscious option... you can get valve caps that pop out with a red indicator when they are low. Not useful for when you are moving, but good for a quick visual walk around. They are on eBay for a couple bucks each and come in various PSI ratings.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I use Doran also and I ditto Gene's comments exactly.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
My thanks to all for the great advice. I decided to go with the tire tracker for four tires. I also purchased the additional antenna.

Again thanks

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote