Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2004, 05:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tire Mismatch

I had to use the spare on my 92, 21 ft Sovereign due to separation on the existing tire before a trip last weekend. The factory had installed a spare over the summer. When I installed the factory tire I noticed that it was a 215/75/R14 where the existing tires are all 205/75/R14. I called the factory and they thought that as long as there was less than 1/2 inch difference between the height of the tires from the hub to the base it would be OK. This tire measures 1 inch wider than the existing from top to bottom ie.1/2 inch from hub(middle) to base. It towed OK but there seemed to be extra scrunching noise when I walked next to it as my wife towed it.
Should I accept this as a safe and long lived option or press the factory to make it right.(and spend another day at Jackson Center) Does anyone know where I can get a 205/75/R14 to replace the damaged tire?
Grazie,
dik
dikku@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikku@mac.com
I had to use the spare on my 92, 21 ft Sovereign due to separation on the existing tire
dik:

Just wondering -

Do you have the approximate age of the failed tire?

Any possibility that it was original?

The reason I'm asking is that if the remaining 205 profile tire is "old", you might want to replace the old tire now - so basically, you will have to purchase two new tires (if failure was age related), and you could put the 215 back as a "spare".

As far as the "scrunching" noise - do you think there is a wheel well/tire interference? -- I would think you would want to determine the source of the "noise".

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
dikku.

Running a different size tire is OK, "IF" the diameter is the same. If it has a different diameter, then the loading on your axles will change.

Depending on the loading change on one wheel, a sway can be induced.

Secondly, the larger tire will be forced to carry more weight than the other three, which can lead to other problems.

Different size tires has no ill effect if they are on a single axle trailer.

Different size tires is similiar to different air pressure in one tire. That too, can set up a sway, because of the altered loading.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 10:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

I agree with what Andy says. IMHO if it were me I would pursue the factory to replace the tire with the same sized tire so you don't have a load difference between tires. That particular larger tire will not only carry more weight than the others but it will also heat up more, wear out faster, and run a higher risk of blowing out due to the extra weight and heat.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

perfect sense

Thank you much John and Andy. That makes perfect sense to me. After all I paid the factory to set up this spare. I could have done it cheaper ( if not quicker as it was already at the factory) especially if getting it wrong was an option.
Vielen Danke,
dik
dikku@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote