Old 05-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB Classic
Clearwater , Florida
Tire Minder Issues

About two years ago I purchased a Tire Minder system for my 2010 27ft. Airstream. It set up OK but the temp. and AP readings never seemed to make sense. The manufacturer replaced/reconditioned the system upon my return from an Alaska trip. The new system seemed to work a little better but not totally dependable. In 2014 I had new Goodyear Marathon tires mounted with new high pressure valve stems.

I was on an extended trip when I began having valve stem failures, They would come loose from the wheel and you could turn them by hand. If not replaced they would eventually break near the wheel. I replaced all 4 with standard stems and left off the Tire Minders.

When I returned home I again contacted the manufacturer with less than hoped for luck. They blamed the valve problem on the wheel hole being to large and said I needed to replace the valves with the solid brass stems that bolt from the inside of the wheel. Their fix for the faulty readings was to purchase an amplifier to be mounted at the front of the trailer since it is an Airstream.

I'm actually afraid to use this seemingly good idea but have a pretty good investment in it already. O yes when I asked if they could comp me an amp. after all my trouble their response was "you must be on a cell phone we can't hear you!"

Just wonder if anyone else has had experience with this product?

manseyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hi MArk,
I am using the Tire Minder system with ok results as far as the pressure & temp readings. It also did its job when I had a faulty stem, warning me as specified. I do not use metal stems since the road salt causes issues. I have a booster mounted in the battery box. I did destroy the antenna on the receiving unit by accident and purchased a refurbished unit from the factory. Their response was excellent, very courteous and prompt. The batteries in the transmitters are a bit of pain, requiring cleaning after the Airstream has had a week of inactivity, but I am getting good at it and can do it in a few minutes. I am overall pleased with the system. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Jim Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
I have been using the amp and the solid brass valve stems for 2 years with no problems whatsoever.
1983 310 Classic Motorhome
1997 30' Excella Trailer
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have another brand tire monitor system. The maker strongly recommends the use of all metal stems. I am taking my trailer in tomorrow to have them installed. I have recently read several stories of rubber stem failure using the exterior tire monitors.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
My experience with TireMinders has not been good. They were OK for the first year, and after that I was forever adjusting the contacts to the batteries in them. When I had a blowout, they failed as well. I'm now running Dill TPMS (they are mounted inside the rim).
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Must use steel valve stems!!!
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB Classic
Clearwater , Florida
Still working on tire minder

Thanks for the input. I'm still sorting it out. So far I ordered and received the booster. Not yet installed. I'm working on the solid metal valve stems. I bought zinc coated brass stems at NAPA. The washer that goes on the outside of the wheel won't fit into the hole in the alloy wheel and if it did you couldn't get a wrench or socket in to tighten the nut. After visiting several speed and tire shops with no luck I found that a 10 mm lock washer fits the hole perfectly and takes up enough depth to allow nut tightening with an open end wrench. Two tires are in for balancing as I write this and the tire shop says they don't leak. By the way I used stainless washers.

Thanks again

manseyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You need the stems which have two nuts on the inside and none on the outside.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote