Old 06-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
Tire indentations

Hmmm, all this talk of "bulging marathons" has me a bit concerned about this feature on one of our tires:

Note the indentation between the R and A. To me it looks like a seam resulting from the manufacturing process but I'm no expert. These tires were new with our '09 unit, and it's been there from the beginning. I'd estimate we have about 5000km of towing on them. Anything to worry about or is this normal?

Old 06-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeheel View Post
...Note the indentation between the R and A. To me it looks like a seam resulting from the manufacturing process but I'm no expert...
good photo free'

and normal overlap/ends of the belts/wraps ...

follow the "tire tech" links in these post for more info...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post556178

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post754815

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Sidewall bulges are not necessarily a sign of trouble.

If the tire has an indentation running across the sidewall from bead to road, this is where the ply is spliced. The overlap of the splice makes a slightly stronger spot in the ply and resists the air pressure pushing out.

There are two plies, therefore two splices on each sidewall, inside and outside of the tire. A knowledgeable tire person can locate the splices. Sometimes they would rather sell you a new tire.

This can become a bit more complicated if there is a "heavy spot again running from bead to road" where the sidewall itself was overlapped too much creating an outward bump. Also easy for a tire person to diagnose.

Neither of these conditions contribute to a tire failure.

The condition to be alert for is a "round bubble" pushing out on the side wall, tread, or bead. This indicates that air is finding a way to exit the inside of the ply / carcass and will eventually lead to a failure.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to check the inside of tires on a trailer without getting down and dirty.

I have just installed the Dill TPMS system this week. It actually monitors pressure and temperature. Their literature suggests that 75% of tire failures can be caught before they damage the trailer or the tire destroys itself due to underinflation, etc.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
This is a classic "normal" tire condition. This condition was there when the tire was new. It does not affect ride, service length or any tire function. It is only cosmetic and was created when the tire was manufactured. Some tires have more pronounced condition than others.

Thanks so much for the pic!

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
Thanks for the comments - much appreciated. FWIW, I installed a Doran TPMs on every wheel (TV and trailer) and am really enjoying the peace-of-mind. It's nice to be able to check all tire pressures at a moment's notice both cold at start, and while underway.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Freeheel,

This is a classic ply splice overlap which shows under the sidewall. This is probably ply 2 where the cords that run from bead to bead overlap by approx 1/4 inch during building. There should be another similar splice overlap for ply 1. May be a little harder to find. Should be staggered some distance from ply 2 splice.

Sidewall splices tend to be just the reverse. By that I mean, a sidewall splice overlap is cut at an angle (two incline planes against each other that should add up to the same thickness as the overall sidewall) and if the sidewall is slightly long, then the overlap will create an outward bump that is thicker than the gauge of the rest of the sidewall. This becomes a minor balance issue but, not a safety issue.

There is a lap splice on the innerliner, ply 1, ply 2, sidewalls, & tread. All of these splices should be staggered from each other. These splices become balance issues although the tread is the heaviest component in the tire and can introduce the most balance force.

Overlap within spec is good, a gap is bad because it means there may be an "open splice".
Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Why is it only on my GYM trailer tires, not ANY car tire i have owned ? I've only seen it on GYM's.
I now view any other trailer tire i find and have only seen it on GYM.
I'm looking for a Better-Safer Tire.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
knunut

I have seen the indentions on Firestones and other truck tires that I do not know the name. It is not an indication of quality or safety or better. It is an indication of a processes. (I am guessing here) To get the overlap "looking " better it take more effort. and just because it looks bteer does not mean it will preform better. The more is better rule does apply to tires. The more you spend for a tire the better quality you are going to get. The question always comes to my mind is does the situation require that level? A comparision might be your TV. Is your TV rated to pull 110% or 150% of the max load? Do you pull with a 1990 pick up or do you tow with a 2010 pick up? So will a GYM work or do you want to spend $ on a higher level of a tire?

You are now aware of the indentations and I would suggest before you were not. Look at other tires of you wish.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Action
I had orig.GYM (Canadian)replaced @ 14K miles (Had Bulge & Indent's)with New (USA)GYM's.Replaced mid May 2010.
Traveled to Moab then Page,AZ. At 2K miles they showed Bulge& Indent's.Stopped at Page,Az. and Kanab,Ut. tire Stores,Both recommened replacement with 10Ply.
Weight of trlr is 4660lb.Single axle Safari.Cant remember GYM spec. but I think this is Very (Too) close to limit.Will replace with Mich. Following other thread on replacing 15 w/16" wheels and Mich."s.
The Indents and Bulges are Large.In talking to others the major problem seems to be the "Center" of the tire were it hits pavement.It seperates and tire Dia. increases.
It then comes apart and causes $$$ damage to what ever is above the wheel well.
Kitchen or Bath Damage? One trailer had $4000 damage.
I'll also get a Tire Pressure Monitor system.