Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
Tire help please

I've got a 1969 overlander, tandem axel. The tires on it now are durango thoroughbread H78 x 15 C rated tires. They are in dire need of replacement. What would be the ideal replacement? Should I be shopping wheels as well? And where the heck does a spare go on this trailer? I've been told to get ltx ms2 235 75/15s, they are pricey! Thanks for the help
Noco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
Saw these don't know if they would work. Hope to not need wheels, if I do I want to be sure my super sweet 69 hubcaps will still fit!

Loadstar ST225/75D15 Bias Trailer Tire with 15" White Wheel - 6 on 5-1/2 - Load Range D Kenda Tires and Wheels AM3S870
Old 05-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noco View Post
Saw these don't know if they would work. Hope to not need wheels, if I do I want to be sure my super sweet 69 hubcaps will still fit!

Loadstar ST225/75D15 Bias Trailer Tire with 15" White Wheel - 6 on 5-1/2 - Load Range D Kenda Tires and Wheels AM3S870
Your almost letting yourslef in for possible disappointments.

Good things do cost more money.

The price for that tire and wheel isn't bad, BUT the wheel must be rated at least 2600 pounds each. If less than that, they will fail.

Also, when you get off brand tires, keep in mind what you can and cannot do to replace one, if your away from home and have a blow out.

Major brands are everywhere, unknown brands are not.

On the other hand, carrying one for a spare, is always a good idea.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
Would the ltx ms2 235 75/15 be a good tire? Can I use the same wheels I have, if they are inspected and seem good? Do you know where a spare should be located for a 1969 overlander? Thanks for the help
Old 05-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Please hear me out. You DO NOT want bias tires. You definitely want radials. My previous trailer had cheap bias tires. They did not tow well or last very long. The bias tires are rounded over in the tread area much like a bicycle or motorcycle. This causes the trailer to wiggle and wobble and dance all around even with a good weight distributing hitch and anti-sway control. Those tires were completely worn out in 3-4 years. Just 4 months before I traded for the Airstream I put 4 brand new radial tires on that trailer. The radial tires are flat across the tread area like your car tires and that improved the towing characteristics of that trailer more than anything else. I bought the tires wholesale through my work for $396 and mounted and balanced them myself. Whoever owns my old trailer now got a really nice trailer with several upgrades for $15,000. I hope they will enjoy it and take care of it the way we did. My two cents for what it's worth...
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #6
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
An H78-15ST Load Range C is 28.4" in diameter, 8.6" on a 6" rim, with a load carrying capacity of 2040# at 50 psi.

An ST225/75R15 Load Range C is 28.3" in diameter, 8.8" wide on a 6" rim, with a load carrying capacity of 2150# at 50 psi.

So the only problem appears to be the width.

An LT 235/75R15 Load Range C is 28.9" in diameter, has a width of 9.3" on a 6.5" rim (9.1" on a 6" rim) and has a load carrying capacity of 1985# at 50 psi.

It looks like the diameter, the width and the load carrying capacity are issues, although the way LT tires are rated for load is different and more conservative.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote