Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Minden , Nevada
Tire Dilemma

Yesterday going down the road with our 16' A/S we had a tire blow out on our trailer. Good Sam road service showed up in no time to replace our tire with our spare. We stopped at a nearby Camping World to have both tires replaced only to find that they did not have our size in stock. We then proceeded to a nearby America's Tire store which stated they did have our size for an RV.

I have 2 questions regarding these tires:

1)The tires that were installed are called "Greenball Transmasters". I have never heard of this brand, are these tires any good?

2)The date of Mfg. of these tires stamped on the sidewall is 3208 (32nd week of 2008). Should I consider replacing these tires in 4-5 years from the date of Mfg. or in 4-5 years from the date of installation?

There were no other tire stores in the area that I could go to as an alternative so I was stuck with having these put on in order to continue our trip.
A/S Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
_

. , .
the gball is a common rv tire, no better or worse that the others.

4-6 years, well that depends on HOW they are used.

and 6 years is a 50% longer than 4...

from a "shelf life" perspective how they are stored matters (indoors, short stacks vs OUTside and heavily stacked.

how'd they LOOK when put on (dull, oxidized and dirty or clean, waxy and black?

keep them inflated and just wear them OUT travelin'...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
China has never been accused of making a good tire, your just going to have to check them often. If one goes bad you'll just have to replace all of them at that time.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A/S Squared View Post
Yesterday going down the road with our 16' A/S we had a tire blow out on our trailer. Good Sam road service showed up in no time to replace our tire with our spare. We stopped at a nearby Camping World to have both tires replaced only to find that they did not have our size in stock. We then proceeded to a nearby America's Tire store which stated they did have our size for an RV.

I have 2 questions regarding these tires:

1)The tires that were installed are called "Greenball Transmasters". I have never heard of this brand, are these tires any good?

2)The date of Mfg. of these tires stamped on the sidewall is 3208 (32nd week of 2008). Should I consider replacing these tires in 4-5 years from the date of Mfg. or in 4-5 years from the date of installation?

There were no other tire stores in the area that I could go to as an alternative so I was stuck with having these put on in order to continue our trip.
Carrying a spare tire and wheel, would have saved the day for you.

An Airstream spare carrier can easily be installed, underneath the front of the trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
We have a single axle trailer as well. Sorry to change the subject but, how did the trailer and you do when it went? Stability wise, damage to trailer etc.....
I replaced our original tires due to it setting for over a year without use and they had a flat spot.
Thanks for your input and glad you guys were OK.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
_

. , .
with a single axle stream...

consider using a latex sealant INSIDE the tires...

this stuff won't prevent ALL tire calamities,

but sure would help with slow leaks or nails or many other things leading to a flat.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ing-38413.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post209164

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post442750

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Greenball tires have a 2yr warranty.

Greenball does not pay for mounting, balancing, or labor. Greenball does not cover Loss of Time, Inconvenience, Loss of use of vehicle, Costs of towing or transportation. Greenball does not pay for related property damage or consequential damages of any nature.
Tires/Wheels which have been patched, plugged or repaired or onto which liquid balancers or sealants have been applied. Patching, repairing of tires, or applying any sealants on tire will automatically VOID any warranty.

I never heard of patching a tire because of a nail will void any warranty. I would not buy a chinese tire.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote