Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2004, 07:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tire Curtain

There is a track of some sort located above my tires on my 1971 Overlander. It looks as if it held some sort of curtain to hide tohe tires. Did they come this way? Where might I get a curtain to fit this slot. It appears that you just thread something in through the side and pull until you get to the end.
happier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I believe, ZipDee made both the tire covers & the snap-on window awnings you are looking for ~ if you contact them with your trailer year & model, they will probably be able to provide replacements for you.

Both were offered as upgrade options.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Yes, it is ZipDee, we have seen these accessories at the A/S store. The current ones (at the store) are only for the 34'ers.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:09 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i have a set of zip dee tire curtains for my excella, they attach with snaps.

quality units, have left them on the trailer all winter 4 times with no ill effects. they have brass grommets in the bottom corners that allow for a bungee cord to be attached behind the tire to keep them in place.

if they are dirty in the spring i just toss them in the kenmore when the better half isn't looking!

john
Old 08-27-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
My '59 Tradewind has tracks above the wheels also. I figured it was for tire covers, but didn't think covers were still available.

Paul
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Question to John HD

John -

Thanks for your previous help - all working swimmingly by the way. SilverToy sit happily in the driveway, sucking and the electric we give her. Fridge and Iinverter keeping here happy - so that I can go out and be happy in her when the house and kids get to be toooo much. Go out there and read some John Clancy and get my 'patriotism fix' and then back to the SOS.... Am I right?

Found an older thread where you mentioned getting the ZipDee awning for the Tire Curtain area. Firstly, cost - How much do I need to persuade my lovely bride to play along with this expense? secondly - do they match the rest of your Awning material alreadu on SilverToy? Lastly, any last thoughts or insights on the color scheme question that will doubless ask the dumdest bolthead in the crowd to try to identify the color combination. NO FEAR!

Maybe, rediculous ammounts of MGD will put all present, into an appreciable state of mind, to carry out this endeavor!!

Ciao for now!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:46 AM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
here's a pic of my trailer, sporting these covers whilst parked in the PO's back yard. I was under the impression that they had these made up from an old awning...perhaps they were store-bought? same vinyl material that was used on the original rear-window awning, which is still in use. (not visible in the pic, though).

3 snaps attached to the skin, just above the wheel wells.

I haven't been using them. probably should be, although, I will say that I am parked in the shade most of the time. But I just "re-tired" (doh!) the PO's tires...9 years old, according to the DOT tag, and they looked brand-spankin' new. hated to do it, but the "replace by age, not wear" advice seems fairly universal. Anyway, perhaps the regular use of these covers explains why they looked so new, and lasted so long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream2.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	12577  
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:19 PM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
axel

glad to hear things are going well!

can't say i remember exactly what the tire covers cost, too many millers perhaps. i think in the 150 range.

having them match the awning is a definate yes!

try calling up zip dee and see if they can help you, i have heard they sell factory direct and have excellent customer service.

here is a pic of mine...

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire skirt.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	12582  
Old 06-09-2005, 01:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Tire curtain sounds so....well, you know! Perfect!

John HD -

Getting ready to give ZipDee the order but am having to sit down fisrt as they want over $400 plus S/H and all that. WOW! Haven't gotten to the talk about the match with the rest of the awings - has that reds, brown and grey and white look. Actually looks quite good on the trailer but do they still produce it and/or have it in stock. Current issue.

Did 'covers' for my enclosed utility trailer, ( 7x14 ) with dual dexter axles, out of some OSB sheets that I picked up at the local recycle yard. They were just laying there and so I asked, "do you mind if I get these panels for myself (signs all over about "NO trashpickin allowed". They said, "hell yes help yourself! The more you take the less I gotta deal with".

Got 2 perfect 4x8 OSB sheets and 25 or so 2x4x12 (REALLY TOP MATERIAL!!!) that had been used as some sort of a box for artwork or something. Really well constucted. Figure I got $75 worth of material. Got it all home and cut the OSB to size for the fenders on the Utility trailer.

Anyway, the ZipDees are still on my wish/to do list. Will get a check off there SOON!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote