Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
Half Polished

1973 Argosy 26
LaFayette , New York
Tire cupping or scalloping

I purchased an Argosy 26, 1973; days before we went to our winter home. Now that we are back home I can start some of the needed repair work. I noticed the front tires only are badly cupped on the outside edge. The rears have age and wear but no cupping. Is this from the P O running very low tire pressure? Or some type of a tire/axle problem. Looking for ideas or things to check. RAY
Ray H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hi, and welcome to the forums.
If the cupping is random on the tire, both on the inside edge and outside edge, you have a balance problem, possibly added to by loose wheel bearings.
If the cupping is a series of diagonal flat spots radiating out from the center of the tire to the outside edge, you probably have at least one bad axle.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The cupping frequently comes from bad bearings or poorly adjusted which allows the wheel to wobble. There can also be an out of alignment problem which can cause the same thing at certain speeds. You need to repack the bearings anyway and check the brakes. Not too many places are around that can check alignment of trailer tires and axles.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
marco island , Florida
front tire "cutting" is called "river wear". it's caused from travelling great lengths in a straight line...more or less....all over the road semis experience the same problems. this happened in my country coach..i had the balance/alignment checked and they told me this was what caused it...keep on driving, there's nothing you can do to stop it.
vpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Tires are out of balance. Get them rebalanced and rotate them to the rear. If at all possible balance on the trailer. This will balance the entire rotating assy. (Tires, wheels, & drums)

Goodyear RV Tires - Tire Care: Load & Inflation - Factors Affecting Tire Wear

Also if you have shocks, now might be the time to replace them. It will help you tire wear issue.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpurdy
front tire "cutting" is called "river wear". it's caused from travelling great lengths in a straight line...more or less....all over the road semis experience the same problems. this happened in my country coach..i had the balance/alignment checked and they told me this was what caused it...keep on driving, there's nothing you can do to stop it.
Off topic, but .....ANOTHER MEMBER FROM MARCO ISLAND!!!! Hi Van!

Give me a shout sometime since we're like 'neighbors'

Did I ever work on your CC?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote