Old 05-16-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Tire cupping cause ?

Recently returned from a 3100 mile road trip and noticed excess wear and some slight cupping on the inside of one of my tires. Shocks and axle are fairly new and in good condition; nothing is bent or loose that I can see. The axle was aligned once, bearings were repacked before the trip and I did not see any issue there. Also I use Centramatics. I know this type of wear usually indicates a shock or balance issue but I'm stumped here. Any ideas of what my problem most likely is ?

Old 05-16-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
How many miles on the tires? Have they been rotated? Too late now to make much difference , some tires just wear funny, this will cause a vibration , try rotating, demount and put the inside to the outside for a while then replace the tires....

Old 05-16-2016, 10:16 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Loose wheel bearings, bad shock, too much toe-in, belt separation in the tire, out of balance tire, overloading on one side could all be contributors.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
First, how old are the tires? Is it time to replace them?

Second, *cupping* is used to describe a lot of different types of wear.

One type indicates a tire starting to separate. This is usually characterized by a single spot about 10" long near the shoulder that has worn faster than the rest of the tread area.

Another type is caused by misalignment - particularly toe. This looks like a repeated worn pattern around the tire every 7 lugs or so. It may start on the shoulder, then progress diagonally across the tread. Are you sure the alignment is good?

The last type is out of round and/or out of balance. It looks the same as misalignment except there is an obvious worst spot and a series of lesser wear spots following every 7 lugs or so. You said you are using Centramatics, but they might not be doing the job.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Is the cupping showing as hills and valleys in the tread depth or on the surface of the tire while the tire is warm. While the first is the commonly observed condition the second is an indication of the beginning of internal problems in the tire.

I reach under my trailer to drain the fresh water tank while on the road. One tire was noticeably warmer than the others and I could feel hills and valleys in the tire but the tread depth was uniform. Took it to a shop and by the time the mechanic came out the tire was cool and showed no problem. replaced the tire.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Tire cupping = Tire is "bouncing" on pavement as you happily drive along without a care in the world. Usually caused by failed shock(s).

When traveling, tires should be inspected (at least) daily.

Q: Do you watch tire "behavior" in side view mirrors?? Trailer tires are best viewed in mirrors when cornering.

Tom
Old 05-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
Recently returned from a 3100 mile road trip and noticed excess wear and some slight cupping on the inside of one of my tires. Shocks and axle are fairly new and in good condition; nothing is bent or loose that I can see. The axle was aligned once, bearings were repacked before the trip and I did not see any issue there. Also I use Centramatics. I know this type of wear usually indicates a shock or balance issue but I'm stumped here. Any ideas of what my problem most likely is ?
Out of balance and/or alignment.

Since you have the Centramatics, check the tire alignment.

If the alignment is ok, then perhaps that tire assembly is so far out of balance that the Centramatic cannot correct it.

Andy
Old 05-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If the tire is cupping and you already have Centramatics the problem is probably tread separation that is not yet visible to the eye. That is, sidewall bulges or splits. The only way to tell is to put the wheel and tire on a spin balancer and watch its travel. If it balances, but still wobbles, it is a tread separation. It may not even balance.
No matter what it is get rid of it. I have seen this on trailer ST tires (GYM, Carlyle, and Maxis in Load Range Ds and Es. Usually, the tire stores will warrant the tire(s). Discount is real good about that.
guskmg
Old 05-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Checked the date on the tires today and found they are 7 years old (seems like I just put them on) so it is time for new ones as they have aged out. These are Yokohama model RY 215 700x15 they are an LT tire that is a radial that looks like an old school bias tire and they are an excellent tire. I did find the bearing to be loose enough to get a slight wobble in the wheel so I did tighten it but I really hate to get too tight on bearings. Next step is new tires and check the alignment again. If anyone needs some tires to put on something that is stationary these will be free for the picking up in the near future.