Old 10-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
owensLander

1966 26' Overlander
1958 18' "Footer"
1963 16' Bambi
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Tire cupping

Just got back from a trip to Fla. about 700 miles round trip. When we were putting the 1966 Overlander back in the shed, I noticed extreme tire cupping curb side on both tires. We have new axles, shocks and tires!!!! What would be doing this ????? I will call the tire company Monday also. Thanks and stuck until this problem is solved.

1963 Bambi
owenslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenslander View Post
Just got back from a trip to Fla. about 700 miles round trip. When we were putting the 1966 Overlander back in the shed, I noticed extreme tire cupping curb side on both tires. We have new axles, shocks and tires!!!! What would be doing this ????? I will call the tire company Monday also. Thanks and stuck until this problem is solved.
Cupping of tires indicates lack of proper balancing of the running gear, the hub and drum and tire and wheel, as an assembly.

If you cannot get the assembly balanced, there are after market add on balancers that can be added to the hubs.

Those are available at many larger auto supply stores, just about any where.

Since the tires cupped in just a few hundred miles, you might also check the shell for any missing rivets.

Andy

Old 10-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenslander View Post
Are the tires "cupped" all the way across the tread, or just the outer or inner edges? If they are cupped, or flat-spotted all the way across, you may have a problem with the brakes on that side locking up. If it's just the edge cupped, it could be an alignment problem, either in manufacturing, transport, or installation. Give the place you got the axles installed at a call, and let them take a look.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Couple items that might help you:

Trailer Tire Wear Chart
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TireWear.pdf (277.0 KB, 140 views)
Old 10-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
owensLander

1966 26' Overlander
1958 18' "Footer"
1963 16' Bambi
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Thanks!

I bought the axles from Andy and had Truck & Trailer in Chattanooga do the installation. We will call them Monday. Thanks for all your posts & suggestions for causes. B.O.
1963 Bambi
owenslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Your tire conditions would indicate shocks not doing the job or an out of balance condition for this axle type.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 10-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Cupping

Follow the chart offered above.
If it is balance cupping and the tires have been balanced then check the balance on the drums (running gear). I was appalled at the balance condition on the drums (all four of them) on my daughters 72 Trade Wind drums.
Once upon a time wheels were spin ballanced on the car in place. Then the auto makers started balancing the drums real good which stopped the need to balance the wheels in place (this also balanced the unbalanced brake drums of the day).
The drums are terrable and in the case I found far far worse than any out of balance wheel and tire that I have ever seen.
Beginner
Old 10-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
check the bearings too :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #9

1993 25' Excella
Scenic , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Cupping of tires indicates lack of proper balancing of the running gear, the hub and drum and tire and wheel, as an assembly.

If you cannot get the assembly balanced, there are after market add on balancers that can be added to the hubs.

Those are available at many larger auto supply stores, just about any where.

Since the tires cupped in just a few hundred miles, you might also check the shell for any missing rivets.

Andy
Hello Andy ,

I own a 1999 , 34' Excella . I bought it used about 6 months ago.
I have towed about 2000 miles since got it.
On my last trip , inoticed that on the drivers side , the front tire was worn badly on the inside , and the center tire was worn badly on the outside.( It is possible they were the other wy around) , but regardless it has me concerned.
I first thought alignment, then a guy at work said that triple axles do odd things to tires when you make tight turns.
I did put a hitch on the back of the trailer and recently towed a 13' BostonWhaler for about 550 miles. I wouldnotthink this would have an effect ,but , who knows?

Hoping you have a good answer before I put new tires on it.

I live near Salt Lake City , if I need it serviced.

Thanks in advance ,

John Atherton
Old 10-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieppe9 View Post
Hello Andy ,

I own a 1999 , 34' Excella . I bought it used about 6 months ago.
I have towed about 2000 miles since got it.
On my last trip , inoticed that on the drivers side , the front tire was worn badly on the inside , and the center tire was worn badly on the outside.( It is possible they were the other wy around) , but regardless it has me concerned.
I first thought alignment, then a guy at work said that triple axles do odd things to tires when you make tight turns.
I did put a hitch on the back of the trailer and recently towed a 13' BostonWhaler for about 550 miles. I wouldnotthink this would have an effect ,but , who knows?

Hoping you have a good answer before I put new tires on it.

I live near Salt Lake City , if I need it serviced.

Thanks in advance ,

John Atherton
You shouldn`t even put a bicycle back there,let alone pull a boat.The frame just can`t handle it. Dave