Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Discount sold us an extended warranty on our Maxxis tires. I just hope we don't need it. We have about 5,000 miles on our 225/75x15, load range "E", 10-ply tires, and they are holding up fine. For the few dollars difference in price, I'd rather have the extra margin of safety. And, we have noticed no difference in the ride between the "D" and "E" tires (except the tread hasn't separated yet, like the Marathons).
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
Port Angeles , Washington
update

Ok, so the new tire dealer im using called maaxis this morning and they are not out of tires (in my size) after all So i think i will get those but it will be cutting it close as they have to be shipped. i am however wondering about these anti 10 ply E rated tires. I hear people say there are problems with them but not seemingly from anyone who has had them. Like someone said its bad for the rivets and someone else said the wheels will collapse or whatever. Well if changing the rating makes the wheels collapse why didnt all of our vintage wheels collapse when people started using the D tires instead of the C 6 plys that were on there originally? And So i called airstream to see if these ideas held water. He said they have always used marathons because that is what they have always used, but that as long as the wheel is rated for the pressure the E tire needs there is no reason it would fail. He said they use the 8 ply because there is no reason why a 10 ply is needed, no problem using 8 why go 10. Makes sense from a manufacturer standp[oint. From a customer standpoint the 10 plys are supposed to last longer and run cooler, so maybe they are better IF the wheel is rated to handle that pressure... As for rivets loosening he said he doubted it.

So if it comes down to a rougher ride, how much rougher is 2 more plyes going to make a trailer with brand new axles, really? beat up the trailer, really? 10 ply tires are used on box trailers all the time and i am a firm believer that airstreams are better built not flimsier than these plastic boxes.

So now that i have the option i still dont know what to get. The gladiators sound nice with the added resistance to bulging and better heat resistance and higher availability, but they are not tried and true as maaxis are according to this forum....

i hate making desicions
anami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #23
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Concerning tire model and brand availability while traveling. I have to wonder how many blow-outs is everyone expecting in one trip.

Isn't that the reason we carry a spare tire; so we can replace the blow out without worrying about finding a replacement while on the road?

Am I missing something in this post?

PS, I run 16" LT tires
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by anami View Post
Ok, so the new tire dealer im using called maaxis this morning and they are not out of tires (in my size) after all So i think i will get those but it will be cutting it close as they have to be shipped. i am however wondering about these anti 10 ply E rated tires. I hear people say there are problems with them but not seemingly from anyone who has had them. Like someone said its bad for the rivets and someone else said the wheels will collapse or whatever. Well if changing the rating makes the wheels collapse why didnt all of our vintage wheels collapse when people started using the D tires instead of the C 6 plys that were on there originally? And So i called airstream to see if these ideas held water. He said they have always used marathons because that is what they have always used, but that as long as the wheel is rated for the pressure the E tire needs there is no reason it would fail. He said they use the 8 ply because there is no reason why a 10 ply is needed, no problem using 8 why go 10. Makes sense from a manufacturer standp[oint. From a customer standpoint the 10 plys are supposed to last longer and run cooler, so maybe they are better IF the wheel is rated to handle that pressure... As for rivets loosening he said he doubted it.

So if it comes down to a rougher ride, how much rougher is 2 more plyes going to make a trailer with brand new axles, really? beat up the trailer, really? 10 ply tires are used on box trailers all the time and i am a firm believer that airstreams are better built not flimsier than these plastic boxes.

So now that i have the option i still dont know what to get. The gladiators sound nice with the added resistance to bulging and better heat resistance and higher availability, but they are not tried and true as maaxis are according to this forum....

i hate making desicions
As far as the rougher ride issue, I can tell you that when dealing with rough roads, my drawers that slide open did that when I had the D Marathons also. From my inspection standpoint, I see nothing that would be an indication of using E's rather than the original D's.

Again my only issue is whether the E's are a wise investment for all concerned. The D Maxxis tires other than the ply difference may be very satisfactory. Both D and E rated tires use the nylon belt concept that minimizes belt friction which in turn, reduces heat. That in itself is a large consideration and was a factor in me making the jump to Maxxis.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #25

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Concerning tire model and brand availability while traveling. I have to wonder how many blow-outs is everyone expecting in one trip.

Isn't that the reason we carry a spare tire; so we can replace the blow out without worrying about finding a replacement while on the road?

PS, I run 16" LT tires
In the summer of 2007 We had three separate blowouts on the same trip. One in Texas, two weeks later, one in Montana, and one day after that a third in Wyoming. These were the OEM Marathons all with less than 12,000 miles on them.

We were able to limp into Gillette, Wyoming and went to a truck tire dealer there. The manager there suggested that we go with the Maxxis (he also carried Carlisle). He asked what my trailer weighed and I told him 7500#. He told me to go with the load range E's so that three of them could fully handle the load. He said that he had sold many sets of the Maxxis E's to local ranchers who pull stock trailers of about the same gross weight. He said that most of these ranchers never check the tire pressure and drive way too fast, and yet get good service from the Maxxis.

I put a whole set (4) of Maxxis on Lucy and headed on down the road. We did 27,000+ miles without any problems. This past may, we were in Quartzsite, Arizona, whe we noticed some tread separation on two of the Maxxis. There was a Maxxis dealer in Quartzsite who mounted 4 brand bew Maxxix E's.

As far as the rough ride issue with the E's, I have now pulled Lucy nearly 40,000 miles on E rated tires and have yet to see any popped rivets or any other indication that she is receiving a rough ride. Everything inside the trailer seems to ride just as well as it did with the D rated Marathons.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post

PS, I run 16" LT tires

hOPEFULLY NONE ! the less prepared you are the more likely the blow out i would say So as far as availiability its not how many its where you are when your one happens. For me about to leave on a 2 week trip 8 days of which i will be parked, not a huge concern, but when i get back i will soon to be leaving on a 2+ year fulltiming journey and im not going to buy another set before i go so i am preparing for that long haul and want to be able to find a match wherever i am if i need to cause all i know for sure is i wont be here
Old 08-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
why i am concidering the gladiators

So this is what gladiator says about themselves and logic dictates that E tires will last longer bulge less etc, so if E users dont notice a ride difference or negative cocequences, these benefits sound pretty good...

Benefits

The GLADIATOR® Medium Radial Truck tires offer major construction differences over current Chinese tire designs:

• The GLADIATOR® footprint has a wider tread area, wider section width and square shoulders that result in superior handling, better wear and improved stability. The difference is remarkable once you see these tires.
  • The steel wire used in GLADIATOR® construction is finer with increased wire concentration where it counts, in the steel belts and sidewalls. This results in stronger casing, improved stability, better heat dissipation, with less casing and tread movement, so the tires run cooler for improved wear.
  • The bead area contour is the most up-to-date design, resulting in a more precise mounting to the rim. This ensures that the tire is square and true when mounted on the wheel. Also, the bead area is more durable, made with a two-compound filler. This provides a stronger sidewall with less flex for improved handling.
  • The tread and under tread compounds are made with the latest technology to ensure maximum performance and durability. The cap/base tread is configured for improved heat resistance, and will minimize heat build-up.
  • The mold shape for the GLADIATOR® tire is the latest generation design and is very similar to the current major brands of the world. Other Chinese tires are first generation, approximately 25 years old.
  • The GLADIATOR® tire includes a sidewall profile and ply lines that are different. These changes allow the load to be more evenly distributed radially around the tire, putting stress on the belt edges and the ply edges, thus reducing heat generation at the wire endings. The tire also has a lower rolling resistance.
Sounds great, but then again it is from their own site!
Old 08-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #28

Fenton , Missouri
Just curious. Your opening post in the thread said that these were trailer tires but what I'm reading from Gladiator's info above shows this to be a truck tire. It also notes wider tread width and square shoulders. I'm assuming that this tire can run within the existing clearances within the wheel well, especially when that axle starts to move up and down within the well.

While many folks who have Airstreams have gone to LT (truck tires) successfully, there are a couple of differences in the ST tires that the LT's don't possess (as far as I know). One item is that the sidewall in an ST supposedly has more flex. The benefit of this is to keep the sidewall bead on the wheel rim. During a hard turn its not uncommon for either the front or rear axle tires to pivot. In essance the tire isn't rolling but instead is being twisted by the contact with the ground. I see this when I back into my drive when the tire leaves a black mark on the ground as it pivots. There are some big forces being applied at that point. The other issue is UV protection. Most trailers sit in one spot for longer periods of time thus being exposed to UV. ST tires are supposed to contain additional compounds to resist the effect of UV. Those compounds work their way to the surface of the tire when the tire is rolling. UV normally isn't an issue on cars or trucks since you roll much more and the vehicle is changing orientation much more frequently. Obviously if you aren't into frequent trips you need to make sure you cover the tires (even if you have ST's).

Anybody have any other traits that the ST has that LT's don't? (Speed ratings are obvious)

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 08-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
The benefits page does mention the truck tires but the ones i am concidering are ST trailer tires. i assume with the same features but the benefits page does specify truck... As for the wheel well i am wondering the same thing. Great feature, IF they fit~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Just curious. Your opening post in the thread said that these were trailer tires but what I'm reading from Gladiator's info above shows this to be a truck tire. It also notes wider tread width and square shoulders. I'm assuming that this tire can run within the existing clearances within the wheel well, especially when that axle starts to move up and down within the well.

While many folks who have Airstreams have gone to LT (truck tires) successfully, there are a couple of differences in the ST tires that the LT's don't possess (as far as I know). One item is that the sidewall in an ST supposedly has more flex. The benefit of this is to keep the sidewall bead on the wheel rim. During a hard turn its not uncommon for either the front or rear axle tires to pivot. In essance the tire isn't rolling but instead is being twisted by the contact with the ground. I see this when I back into my drive when the tire leaves a black mark on the ground as it pivots. There are some big forces being applied at that point. The other issue is UV protection. Most trailers sit in one spot for longer periods of time thus being exposed to UV. ST tires are supposed to contain additional compounds to resist the effect of UV. Those compounds work their way to the surface of the tire when the tire is rolling. UV normally isn't an issue on cars or trucks since you roll much more and the vehicle is changing orientation much more frequently. Obviously if you aren't into frequent trips you need to make sure you cover the tires (even if you have ST's).

Anybody have any other traits that the ST has that LT's don't? (Speed ratings are obvious)

Jack
Old 08-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #30

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
The benefits page does mention the truck tires but the ones i am concidering are ST trailer tires. i assume with the same features but the benefits page does specify truck... As for the wheel well i am wondering the same thing. Great feature, IF they fit~!
You really can't make that assumption. A truck and ST tire are two different animals. Not that their ST tire isn't any good.....but you are using the truck tire benefits as things that are influential in considering the ST.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 08-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #31

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Just look at Goodyear. They make some great car and truck tires, yet they make really crummy trailer tires.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
you are right about this, they said that the trailer tire is different doesnt have the wider footprint and only has better heat dissapation than a D because it is an E...

i am having so much trouble deciding, the gladiators are there now could put em on tomorrow, maaxis are 3-5 days out and 95 bucks less. but i do still have an ac unit to put on and a new water pump has to go in the tow vehicle, time is an issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
You really can't make that assumption. A truck and ST tire are two different animals. Not that their ST tire isn't any good.....but you are using the truck tire benefits as things that are influential in considering the ST.

Jack
Old 08-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
i dont take my trailer faster than 50, so i guess im worrying WAY too much

im going with the D Maxxis just never heard of gladiators and it saves me $100.

i appriciate everyones help!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #34

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
i dont take my trailer faster than 50, so i guess im worrying WAY too much

im going with the D Maxxis just never heard of gladiators and it saves me $100.

i appriciate everyones help!
I think you will be fine. Thanks for the update.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-01-2011, 04:28 AM   #35

1973 27' Overlander
Springfield , Ohio
I have Gladiators on my 73. At 75mph I hardly know she is back there(unless I look).Gladiator only makes truck and trailer tires(hello). They are 10ply and Speed rated. I looked at the Maxxis also. In the Harley world, the tire is the only thing between your Butt and the pavement.If you don't pull your trailer around(use it as a camp) buy the Maxxis. If you like to roll without the worry of tires,buy the Gladiator. If $100.00 bucks savings for the most important purchase of the whole trailer you will drag down the interstate hurts? Maybe you should have got the pop-up camper?
Fifty dollars head......buy the fifty dollar helmet.
ohiobuffer is offline   Reply With Quote