Old 06-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Augusta , Kansas
Tire clearance on 2011 23 fc fb

I am wanting to change the 14" wheels to 15's. The Michelin Defender 235 75/15's are 2.2" bigger in diameter than the 14" GYMs. The clearance on the rear tires to the lower wheel well trim is 2.75" on the stock 14"s. That would leave 1.65" clearance with the new tires. Is that enough? Thanks

Old 06-29-2016, 05:01 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Yes

But, verify that you have that clearance on all four wheels. Some of the 23s have different sized wheel wells. Some require some of the aluminum to be trimmed. Our 2015 FC23FB does not and required no trimming. Note, less clearance means less room for tire chains. It is likely you will never use them, but some states make you carry them. Buy cables. They are thinner than chain. Real good idea to stay parked when the roads require chains.

If you change, be sure to order a set of Centramatics to balance the brake drums. Get the tires and wheels dynamically bal;anced when they are mounted. Do not fall for the idea that some tire shops have about trqilers not needing balanced tires. Airstreams do. Likely all trailers do.

We like the taller tires. More clearance for the dump valves is a very good thing.

Good luck on your decision. Travel safe. Pat

Old 06-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Augusta , Kansas

Thank you Pat. Both wheel wells are the same size. About how close is your rear tires to the rear portion of the wheel well trim? I appreciate your feedback.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado

Yes, the 15" wheels and tires will fit. I installed Michelin LTX M/S P235/75R15XL with Raceline wheels on my 2011 FC23FB 24,000 miles ago and have been happy with the combo. Normal spin balancing, no centramatics needed. Had to change one blowout due to a road hazard - no problem with clearances.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by submirj View Post
Thank you Pat. Both wheel wells are the same size. About how close is your rear tires to the rear portion of the wheel well trim? I appreciate your feedback.
Never measured. They are closer, but clear. The axle rotates up and away when it traverses a bump.

A set of solid lug nuts is a good idea. Ours were not separated, but I've had two piece nuts fail on other vehicles over time.

Travel Safe. Pat
Old 06-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Augusta , Kansas
Great Pat, I'm ordering tomorrow. Thanks Pat and Joe for your help.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Pm sent
Old 06-30-2016, 11:50 PM   #8
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Even if you have your tires spin balanced you need Centermatics. Why? Because any change in balance, such as a thrown weight, will cause subsequent wear. Since this is not road hazard caused you likely will not be covered under warranty if you have that coverage. If you experience a tread starting to separate the Centermatics will slow down the process as the tire starts to separate, pull over and put on the spare, and/or maybe let you get to a tire dealer. The separation is a series of events as the inner layers fail and centrifugal force takes over and pulls the tire further apart until blowout occurs. It is this interim time when Centermatics would help. On a trip to Alaska and back I had five tread separations. Only one happened too quick to slow down, before damage to the trailer. In the other cases I was able to detect the depleting tire pressure with my PressurePro monitors. This was a good reason to go to Michelin tire and 16" rims. So far so good.
guskmg
Old 07-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado

Glad that you like your centra-gadgets, (yes I've watched their sales video), but insisting that others NEED them is a bit much. Good tire practices include rotate and balance every 10,000 miles, visually inspect prior to every tow, monitor air pressure, and replace at 4 years or sooner if wear indicated. This engineer analyses function and need vs sales brochures and appreciates the value of keeping it simple.

Over 60,000 tow miles in the last five years with one road hazard blowout (no, it wasn't a GYM, it was a low mileage Michelin LTX).

To each his own.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
Old 07-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
-- snip -- and appreciates the value of keeping it simple. -- snip -- one road hazard blowout (no, it wasn't a GYM, it was a low mileage Michelin LTX). -- snip --JamuJoe
Please provide details on your road hazard failure. That would be helpful to the discussion.

The technical justification for using a dynamic balancing system is to eliminate any imbalance in the hub/brake drum. it is possible to balance the tire,wheel and hub/drum as a package. However, the usual practice is to balance only the wheel and tire.

KIS is a very effective approach to problem resolution, but any engineering based analysis must address all the variables. It might also be suggested that bolting on a dynamic balancing plate is a very simple solution that addresses a variety of balance issues. The bead approach may be even simpler and less expensive. But I have heard that you need to install screens in the valve stems so that the beads don't jam the air valves open.

Travel safe. Pat
Old 07-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I always get a kick out of post that say I have to have a certain expensive product. Usually they throw the guilt card around. Not once has the poster been willing to write the check when asked.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Please provide details on your road hazard failure. That would be helpful to the discussion.

The technical justification for using a dynamic balancing system is to eliminate any imbalance in the hub/brake drum. it is possible to balance the tire,wheel and hub/drum as a package. However, the usual practice is to balance only the wheel and tire.

KIS is a very effective approach to problem resolution, but any engineering based analysis must address all the variables. It might also be suggested that bolting on a dynamic balancing plate is a very simple solution that addresses a variety of balance issues. The bead approach may be even simpler and less expensive. But I have heard that you need to install screens in the valve stems so that the beads don't jam the air valves open.

Travel safe. Pat

Pat,
My Michelin LTX blowout was due to a deep cut right at the edge of the tread. Just after sunset on I-10 east of Tallahassee Fl. Doing 65 mph. TPMS alarm sounded and pressure went to zero within seconds. Pulled off to inspect and observed deflated tire. Drove a few more miles at 45 mph (slower would be suicide on I-10) to an exit and safe place to change the tire. Tire was ruined, of course, but no damage otherwise and the trailer was very stable at 45 mph. Nothing embedded, I suspect debris at a rather trashy truck stop where we stopped for fuel just a few miles prior to the blowout. The Camco trailer aid tire ramp made changing much easier and earned it's purchase price that night.

"KIS is a very effective approach to problem resolution, but any engineering based analysis must address all the variables."

I don't apply KIS to problem resolution, I apply KIS when urged to add complexity to a proven system that has not presented a problem.

This thread has drifted from the OP's question regarding fit of 15" tires on a FC23FB, which I think has been sufficiently answered.

Safe Travels,
Joe
Old 07-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I thought only GYMs had blow outs😜

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
-- snip -- due to a deep cut right at the edge of the tread. -- snip -- Joe
Joe, thanks for explaining that the failure was due to a cut and not a manufacturing, design, or application issue. Glad to hear that apart from the tire, there was no additional damage. A good example of the value of a TPMS. Appreciate the info.

Yes, travel safe. Pat