Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Don't know the MFG Location for my old Goodyear Marathons but I had ALL 4 replaced a couple of weeks ago...They only had about 2000 miles on them since we've only had our AS for about 4 months...they were all showing early signs of sidewall failure which could result in tread separation.. There was a slight outward bulge on every tire... (Also a slight indentation which to my understanding is normal but the outward bulge is the point of concern) The new Marathons definitely have a different look to them they have a sidewall rub guard where the rubber is thicker at the point were it would rub against a curb. Prorated they were $13 each.... My AS has a 09/04 MFG Date so the tires would obviously have been before that date
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, AZstreamin. My Safari is also a 2005 that I picked up 9/7/04 and was fresh of the press maybe a month or two before that date. I can't get to the papers right now to conferm the exact date of manufacture. But you said you replaced all four tires; My next question for you is, Did your trailer come with a spare tire? and if it did, you can check that tire for DOT code and place of manufacture. It would be the same as the others that came with your trailer. Although very rare, if the DOT code was different, it would only be by a few weeks. If I read this right, you just bought a new, almost two year old Airstream. Maybe sitting too long in the Arizona heat done those tires in! Sounds like you did the right thing to get them changed.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
GoodYear Suprise

All the information is asked for at the NHTSA web site when filing a tire failure complaint.

Want something done. Try something different. Report your failurs to the people educated in tire technology and can force something to be done.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm.

Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
.they were all showing early signs of sidewall failure which could result in tread separation.. There was a slight outward bulge on every tire... (Also a slight indentation which to my understanding is normal but the outward bulge is the point of concern) The new Marathons... Prorated they were $13 each.... My AS has a 09/04 MFG Date so the tires would obviously have been before that date
hi azstreamin and others...

i was initially concerned about the small bulges too
and the pattern of bulges and indentations.

was told that was a normal appearance for marathons...
buy several 'experts' and,
not at all a sign of impending anything.

who told you this?
did you request new tires from a/s or a goodyear shop?

your prorated comment suggests some goodyear rep involvement?

i agree a rim/lip rub guard is a nice feature.
especially useful on low profile sporting tires...
but because trailer wheels are narrower
and sidewalls bulge out more on trailer tires,
i'm not sure the rub guard will ever be needed.
still it would help to visually id a new style tire....

are you saying that goodyear has upgraded the marathon
and new ones have this?

more info please...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The slight indentation on tires is a normal feature. Not just trailer tires any tires. I guess i should say radial tires. It is the result of the construction process and that creates the indentations on the sidewalls.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-04-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi azstreamin and others...

i was initially concerned about the small bulges too
and the pattern of bulges and indentations.

was told that was a normal appearance for marathons...
buy several 'experts' and,
not at all a sign of impending anything.

who told you this?
did you request new tires from a/s or a goodyear shop?
I initially brought the concern to my local AS dealer (not where I purchased) and they went to the local tire shop that they use.... they are not a Goodyear dealer but their assessment was the tires were all showing signs of sidewall failure. His comment was the outward bulge is the concern not the inward bulge..

So I took it to Discount Tire since they are a huge chain and told them my story and requested or demanded that they replace all four and I paid the pro-rated amount since AS doesn't cover tires under warranty it’s a Goodyear warranty issue..

My opinion however is my AS sat on a dealer’s lot for close to a year before I bought it... How much was it moved? Who knows…..How much air did they keep in the tires? Who know….. Was this problem entirely Goodyear’s problem?.... probably not... Is it a mfg defect?.... maybe.. But who knows, and really does it matter...I was concerned they didn’t look right. Tire issues in the desert heat I travel in freak me out… So I got new rubbers for pennies and they are now perfectly balanced and they track like a dream now... Just got back from San Diego round trip 750 miles or so....When I drive on smooth road hands free on the highway for a mile or more and she stays dead center of the lane no sway no pull no nothing... that was not happening at all before new rubbers and balance so clearly something wasn’t right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
I agree a rim/lip rub guard is a nice feature.
especially useful on low profile sporting tires...
but because trailer wheels are narrower
and sidewalls bulge out more on trailer tires,
I’m not sure the rub guard will ever be needed.
Still it would help to visually id a new style tire...

are you saying that Goodyear has upgraded the marathon
and new ones have this?

More info please...
The tire definitely looks different the tread carries over into the side wall more than the original tires and there is a rub guard which is a thin raised area in the middle of the sidewall that even says rub guard or something to that effect on the side wall. That was definitely not on my original tires. My AS is back in storage or I'd post a photo for identification.. maybe someone with an ’07 has photos. If not PM me for a reminder and I’ll snap photos before our next roadtrip and post.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:29 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
We just returned from a trip to the SW. And I must admit these tires are making me paranoid. I watched pressures and inspected thremafter every segment.

So please explain what the difference is between a wave and a bulge? I did bote "seams" symmetrically on both tires (Bambi 19ft), and was reassured by Goodyear dealer that they are seams. But I'm also noting what appears to be bulging but is it a "wave?"

I've never had tires with such "normal" deformities. Is Airstream pushing the limits of these tires on their single axle units?

pagoff
pagoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagoff
So please explain what the difference is between a wave and a bulge? I did bote "seams" symmetrically on both tires (Bambi 19ft), and was reassured by Goodyear dealer that they are seams. But I'm also noting what appears to be bulging but is it a "wave?"
I've never had tires with such "normal" deformities. Is Airstream pushing the limits of these tires on their single axle units?
pagoff
Waves may show up in a pattern. It is a construction method that is used for radial tires. It is how the tires get to be radial. You will never see the wave with bias ply because they are not made radial plys. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...nstruction.jsp
http://www.idavette.net/tire_wheel/tire_myths.htm see #14
You will find these on car, truck or trailer tires. A bulge is a single spot on the tire that is bulged out.

Not sure????? Send in a pic.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
In a wave situation the tire sidewall tends to curve inward then back out again. A bulge is where the side wall pushes out and the balance of the sidewall stays in. It becomes very obvious because a bulge will normally occur once on a side wall. Sometimes we used to call it a goose egg. Normally edge of a wave on a sidewall has a low point which is almost a straight line. A bulge will almost look egg like.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
Thanks for the responses. Below is the corrected version of my post--sorry for the lack of editing initially!!

In any case I'll probably take them in for another inspection before my next trip.

Corrected post-- "We just returned from a trip to the SW. And I must admit these tires are making me paranoid. I watched pressures and inspected threm after every segment.

So please explain what the difference is between a wave and a bulge? I did note "seams" symmetrically on both tires (Bambi 19ft), and was reassured by Goodyear dealer that they are seams. But I'm also noting what appears to be bulging but is it a "wave?"

I've never had tires with such "normal" deformities. Is Airstream pushing the limits of these tires on their single axle units?"

pagoff
pagoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:18 AM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Pagoff,
It is not Airstream that makes tires.
If you think the limits of the tires are being pushed it would be based on actual load capacity versus what the tires are rated for at max inflation. Not what they look like.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-27-2006, 08:41 AM   #12
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
AZstreamin-- I was wondering what balancing method was used at time of installation of your new rubber?? Did you get to witness this procedure? Thanks for your input, Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote