Old 08-27-2006, 06:01 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tire Bias or radial

Darrel Root
No, No, No.
Don't waste valuable time telling the manufacturer of the tire. They will only sweep the problem under the rug until people start dieing and the lawsuits pile up. Then the NHTSA chimes in and says "well no one told us of the problem" and they would be right.
They would be right because the people that just lost the tires and were not hurt went to the vendor and complained, not to the NHTSA who they should have. Quite possiblly many of those deaths would have been prevented(those caused by the Firestones on both occasions).
Irreguardless of the reason for the failure, let the NHTSA know about it.
The reason the tires are running low on air is because the air has leaked out. Something is wrong with the tire, not the owner.
My new B. F. Goodrich Commercial T/As havent lost any pressure at allover the entire summer.(app 2500 miles, yes I check them regularly). How many others can say that.
Report ALL railures.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm

Beginner

Old 08-27-2006, 07:21 AM   #30
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
To answer yesterday's question, "dealer support" means being able to go to almost any tire store, and being able to get a tire warranteed, or buying a replacement that is the same as what you have. Most 7.00X15 tires tend to be smaller, lesser-known brands, and the chances are not good that any tire store would be able to waranty a tire for you, you would have to buy another one with (another) local brand, and take the bad tire back to where you bought it for replacement.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:56 AM   #31
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
To answer yesterday's question, "dealer support" means being able to go to almost any tire store, and being able to get a tire warranteed, or buying a replacement that is the same as what you have. Most 7.00X15 tires tend to be smaller, lesser-known brands, and the chances are not good that any tire store would be able to waranty a tire for you, you would have to buy another one with (another) local brand, and take the bad tire back to where you bought it for replacement.
I get it, thanks

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
link

Yes I filed a complaint, yes its only one tire I've been yarning about, and yes I think tire manufacture is important to mention because this forum and many other forums have like complaints. Darrell
Old 08-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Tire Bias or radial

Overlander's "Dealer Support" was why I didn't go with the Cooper Custom Trailer Plus (only comes in one size ST225/75R15 LRD, Speed Rating 112 MPH).
Cooper's market setup is such that you would be stuck somewhere 3 or more days awaiting a new tire should you whack something on the road.
Beginner
Old 08-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #34
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
This is an teresting read---

One of the benefits of an ST tire when it comes to trailering is that it has about 10 percent more load capacity than an equivalent LT tire and nearly 40 percent more than a P tire when each is filled to its maximum psi rating.

Furthermore, the ST's mold shape is designed to accommodate trailer wheels, which are typically narrower than P and LT wheels. Being narrow is an advantage on trailer tires, but a disadvantage on wheels that steer and wheels that are attached to the drive axle. Steering and/or driving tires benefit from a larger footprint, which provides the extra traction and performance demanded of them.

A free-rolling trailer tire, on the other hand, isn't called on to turn, swerve and grab the pavement like a steer or drive tire. Since it doesn't need such a large footprint, it performs its task better by being narrower.

For the same reasons, ST tires don't have as deep of a non-skid tread as P and LT tires. A deep non-skid is necessary for driving and steering tires in wet environments because it provides them with better traction.

Again, since a trailer tire is simply free rolling, it doesn't need the same degree of traction on wet pavement and, in fact, it would be detrimental to its performance. Having a shallower tread depth provides the ST tire with two benefits: (1) it doesn't wiggle as much, which can help reduce sway, and (2) it rides cooler, which adds to its longevity.

Generally, the ST tire also has somewhat stiffer sidewalls, especially in its lower section. This reduces sidewall flexing, helping it to track straighter and diminish the risk of trailer sway. The stiffer sides also lessen the risk of sidewall blowout.

Years ago, nearly all ST tires were bias-ply tires, which have crisscrossing cords of polyester or nylon, with the same number of ply on the sides as there are on the tread. Occasionally bias-belted tires were used. These are the same as bias ply, but with added belts, or layers, under the tread.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:32 PM   #35
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, guys,

The Coopers are looking even less likely. If you go to this page:

http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...m_trailer_plus

and click the "View full specifications" link at the bottom, it says:

*Discontinued - limited availability.

And I'll not fuss about my Marathons failing. They were made in 1997!

Looking closely today, I found signs (numerous radial cracks) that the right-rear tire is getting ready to shed its treads. These tires are just old and tired, and not to be trusted.

I suggest that we always tell our tire installers to mount the tires so that the required DOT manufacturing data/date strip is on the OUTSIDE. (Only one of mine was. Even the spare has it on the backside.)

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #36
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry W
I just had two tires fail on my 31' 78 Land Yacht in 300 miles. The first was a Marathon that shed the belt but never lost air. The second was a Carlisle that shredded because I did not hear it blow. The Marathon was made and purchased in 2002. The Carlisle was purchased in 2003 but mfg'd in 2000.
Harry,

In my opinion the Marathon was a little premature for a failure. The Carlisle was a 6 year old tire. Kinda spot on in my opinion. Your tire installer sold you a used tire. Sure it had never been used before and it was 3 years old when you got it.

Date stamps are a good thing when getting tires for vehicles that do not get used often.

That 2000 tire on a daily used vehicle would have been good in 2003. 15,000 a year usage and the tire would have 45,000 miles. Time to replace. However 5000 miles in 3 years, it's buy buy time. By to the old and buy new ones. Check the rest of your tires. How old are they? Any more 6 YO tires currently on the trailer? If so I would look at replacing those too! Or just wait for the failure.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
2 Spares (cont'd)

Action:

Thanks for the comments.

My two newly acquired tire were installed on the rear axle in the wilderness between El Centro and El Cajon, CA. On my return home, I checked the failed Marathon's mate and found radial sidewall cracks, so I will borrow a set of new Marathons from my car trailer for my Airstream trips.

I purchased my car trailer in June, 1993 with Marathons, and did not experience a failure until December, 2001. It wasn't until then that the replace in 5 year mantra gained traction. I have to wonder if something in the manufacturing process hasn't changed. Curiously, the last Marathons I purchased were smaller in circumference than the ones being replaced.

I do plan to have a discussion with the tire dealer on the 3 year old "new" tire. I also will have them note the tire manufacture date on the invoice from now on.

Harry W
Old 09-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #38
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Your tore dealer isn't running a lot of volume of those tires if they are 3 years old by the time they get mounted on a rim. Add that to the blazing sun we have here and short life expectancy would be a norm. Also keep 'em covered. Anything helps. Wood, tarp and of course a regular tire cover. Sure helps out bunches when the 100+ sunshine comes back next May.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Lipets

Sir I owe you an appology. I have just been reading over these posts and cannot see where I answered your question on the size tire that I went to. I went to a LT225/75R16 load range D, BF Goodrich Commercial T/A. I went to that tire because it is the same OD as the Michelin XCA that came originally on my trailer and the same width as the Goodyear Marathon.
Sorry
Beginner
Old 09-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #40
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Ok, here's what I bought.

ST 225/75R15 DELTA SUPERSTONE TRAILER TIRE 8 PLY.

I just went 200 miles after this rig was sitting 5 years, did upto 70MPH averaged 60mph.

It towed like a train on a track.

see ebay here for $60 ea.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:45 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Hey Lipets, thanks for all the good info. For a newbie like me it really helps. Now just to verify, my soon to be purchased 25' 96 Excella Classic would utilize "ST 225/75R15" size tires, correct? Would Wal-Mart, BJs, Sam's probably have this size for trailers?

Also, if I wanted some aluminum wheels, what SIZE would I need? Anybody have and recommendations on where to go?
Old 09-08-2006, 09:15 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Guess I have been lucky. Running bias ply on Airstream, no problems. Running Marathons on my flatbed. Both have been on the road up to 18 hours a day, with up to 9000 lbs on the flatbed tandems, in 80+ degree heat, up to 75 mph.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote