Old 02-25-2003, 01:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Chantal.

Based on my years with Caravanner Insurance, a heavy duty tow vehicle such as you have, will cause damage to the front end of the trailer.

The only system that I have ever witnessed that worked was a hitch that had a tow bar that could move vertically, independent of the truck.

The tow bar had a coil spring mounted above and below it, to restrict but not prohibit vertical movement. Many carnival people used such a setup.

Insurance companies will not cover front end damage caused by using a heavy duty tow vehicle, in that the loss is not sudden, accidental or direct.

I have zero working knowledge of any other system, that will reduce the road shock from the tow vehicle.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com

Old 02-25-2003, 01:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Very interesting,

I had no idea a medium duty truck could damage a bumper pull travel trailer! I guess the stiffness of the rear springs can give some good jolts to the tongue of your trailer. I've never seen an air ride setup on a medium duty for a bumper pull, fifth wheels yes, but not a bumper pull. I have seen mobile home toters with hydraulically adjustable hitches. I don't think they are meant for cushioning anything, just for adjustability.

Andy has a good lead, looks like you will need to chat with the carnies the next time they come your way.

chas

Old 02-25-2003, 05:04 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Whose's Airstream?

OK, all you funny people, who sent the 31' Airstream to us by UPS? It came today and is sitting out in the front yard. I signed for it, but don't know where it came from. There was part of a sticker on it from Inland RV. Andy is for you?
Come get it or it goes on E-bay for cost of shipping.
Dan
Old 02-25-2003, 05:14 PM   #18
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
dmi?

hey guys,

any one ever heard of a dmi hitch?

i've been burning up my search engine trying to find a pic of one.

they are heavy duty replacement hitches and they are spring loaded. most farmers around here have them.

i saw one yesterday at work with a 2' reciever. could reduce the amount of shock transferred to the tow vehicle.

another benefit is that they can swing to make hooking up easy.

i'll keep looking.

john
Old 02-25-2003, 07:08 PM   #19

To Chas:

yes, the 3 companies I mentioned do make air ride hitch for bumper pull. They have them for several classes. One of them advertise: "Receiver Hitches, We Have Them All. Weight Distribution, Ball Mount, Ball-Pintle. Class 3 & Class 4 (regular duty) - Medium Duty - Commercial Duty" [medium duty is up to 1250# Tongue Weight & up to 14,000# Gross trailer weight]. They all started making them for 5th wheel only I guess, but with the increase of use in bigger trucks for pulling TT, they are expending their line.

To Dan;

you can keep that 31' Airstream. It's not ours. We sent a 32'. If the price is right, we can use it as a spare, we already have a 25', a 29' & a 32'. They take a bit too much of space though.

To John HD:

We are gonna look into this dmi hitch story too, that sounds interesting. Better than joining the circus.
I guess I am gonna start with the Co. (not the one in OK City, right?)

I am gonna look into people who are moving expensive yachts for a living. Big outfits. Their Insurance Co may require something along that line.

To Andy:

thanks for the information, tracking it down will be an intersting challenge. I am wondering if this is not the same principle that John is talking about.

We are to pick-up the trailer friday, 160miles, and it's starting to snow. !!!!!

Thank you all,

Chantal
Old 02-25-2003, 07:51 PM   #20
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
We have someone in our local WBCCI unit that uses the Air Ride hitch to pull their 31 ft TT with a F250 4X4 Ext cab. I will see if they would be willing to converse with you regarding the likes/dislikes of the device. BTW they are ocean sailors so they may have had experience with towing big boats..........?????
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 08:19 PM   #21
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
oklahoma

chantal

i believe they are from oklahoma, seems they manufacture discs and soil conditioners etc.

every one i have seen here in wisconsin has the same logo on them as that company, i just can't seem to track down any info on them.

i'll ask around, i could stop by an implement dealer and see if they know.

john
Old 02-25-2003, 08:55 PM   #22

Thanks, John

My latest search gave me:

Case DMI
PO Box 65
Goodfield, IL 61742-0065
Phone: 309-965-2233
Fax: 309-965-2042

They were in a trucking industry directory, under: "hitches,.."

Just found quote from distributor: "Our long association with DMI tillage tools has become even closer now that CASE DMI has become a part of the Case equipment line."
It looks like Case bought DMI. Who ever they were. No wonder you see their name on every farm machinery. Case web site was not very useful. Yet. I will have to try that tomorow.

All this is gonna keep me busy for a while, if we do not have too much problems with the snow (power failures,...)
I nearly broke my neck stepping out from the trailer earlier, the step is quite icy. Time to make dinner (nearly 10PM !!!)
Talk to you later

Chantal
Old 02-25-2003, 09:25 PM   #23
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Talking ha found one!

case did buy dmi inc.

i followed cases links and found this

quic n easy hitch

the one on the left is the one i was talking about, now you just have to find out about fitting it to your international!

john
Old 02-25-2003, 09:30 PM   #24
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Talking better view

here

is a better view even if it is on a dodge!

john
Old 02-26-2003, 01:01 PM   #25

Thanks, John

We are going to look seriously into that. By the pictures, it will work on small trucks (ours is not that big when it comes to trucks. I was afraid it was going to be only for VERY BIG trucks). It looks very promising.
Mike had been thinking about that in his sleep: he thinks that we do not need leveling bars, that they are (in our case) doing more harm than good. They may work against the truck air ride, puting more stress on the trailer tongue. I hope somebody on this forum has some good engineering knowledge to discuss that with him. I have a hard time to follow his resoning, his style being: if you can phrase something in 2 words, why not use 20 !!! He is VERY thorough.
Should we go on in this thread, or start a new one ? (it started with tires)
Thanks again for your help. Other people seem to be looking into similar products, I will make sure that they read about that.

Chantal
Old 02-26-2003, 07:04 PM   #26

WE HAVE MOVED

We have started a better named thread: "How to choose a shock-absorbing Hitch ?"

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=3732