Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
1963 19' Globetrotter
Huntsville , Alabama
Tire at a distance

New to the forum...i am researching tires for my 48 trailwind that is parked in Alabama and I am currently living in Minnesnowta. I looked it over a few weeks ago and i do remember it has 5 lugs and that's about it. I am interested in a radial tire so any suggestions would be helpful. I am attaching a photo that i snapped so that may help in the research. I want to hang onto the wheel/rim so that i can retain the moon hub cap. That is all for now. b
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	63695  
Benjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Possible pitfall

I'm in North AL if I can help.

Many older wheels were of the split-rim variety. Most tire shops nowadays can't handle them.

I understand your desire to keep the baby-moons. But you might want to research new wheels which will suit your purpose.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
1963 19' Globetrotter
Huntsville , Alabama
hmmm....split rim variety. what does that actually mean? is it just an odd size rim and they don't make any tires to fit'em anymore? I would like to understand it more thoroughly so i can make the best possible decision. I am working with a trailer co. in Steele, AL. He will replace the axle (dexter), tongue, jack, coupler, lighting, etc so I figured i should work out a tire that will suite our needs. He has a lot of tires in stock but none that keep with the vintage airstream. Thanks for your input.
Sweet Home
Old 07-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
hmmm....split rim variety. what does that actually mean? ..... I am working with a trailer co. in Steele, AL. He will replace the axle (dexter), tongue, jack, coupler, lighting, etc so I figured i should work out a tire that will suite our needs...
Split rims require the use of an inner tube....It would probably be difficult to find any radial tire of any type which would be compatable with a tube.

As far as the axle, the '48 is probably a pipe frame - do you plan to change to mounts out and go with a torsion axle or keep the springs?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Split rims can be hazardous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo
... I am interested in a radial tire ...
Quote:
... He has a lot of tires in stock but none that keep with the vintage airstream ...
Split rims are wheels that come apart in two pieces. They were popular up until the early sixties when, I guess, tire technicians got tired of losing arms & faces when the reassembly did not go as planned.

FWIW, bias-ply tires were standard on vintage Airstreams.

Tom
Old 07-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
1963 19' Globetrotter
Huntsville , Alabama
thanks for the replys. this is good. to answer someone above...i plan to replace the leaf springs and axle which will enable me to choose what tire to put on. not sure what to go with but from the conversation it sounds like i should loose the split rims and move on to something more current, hence enabling me to run a radial. i rode on some nylon boat tires years ago on a trailer and i shredded'em all the way to LA until i could get to my welding buddy that ended cutting holes in the wheel well floor to make room for a larger radial tire....but that's another story and another trailer that i am trying to block out.
thanks,
Old 07-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Earlier you mentioned a vintage look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
...i plan to replace the leaf springs and axle which will enable me to choose what tire to put on. ...
The wheels are the only change necessary for different tires of a different composition.

If you choose different springs to enable the tires you want, you will alter the "vintage look".

Tom