Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2003, 05:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Tire advice not followed

I just got back from Montana after picking up my new to me 82 Airstream 34 foot limited. I read thru this forum and the advice was when picking up a used trailer the first stop should be at a place where the wheel bearings can be packed and the tires replaced. Wellllll the trailer was as advertised, excellent condition, everything worked, but the tires were marginal, thought I could make it home. Bad thought.

Blew the right rear in Wyoming somewhere, didn't notice until I stopped near Sheridan. Took out my black and gray tank handles, the cover for the drain, dented the belly pan and my gray tank is leaking. But no one was hurt and it is only money.

I found a place in Sheridan with 6 tires and replaced the 235 75 15 that were on the trailer with 225 75 8ply trailer tires. The originals were 4 ply. No problems from Sheridan to Stillwater mn.

I pull with a class 8 Volvo so I could probably lose all tires and pull down the road on the rims and not know it.

So for those of you reading this before picking up you new used airstream the first thing you do is replace the tires!!!

Going to another part of this forum and ask about sealing tanks, as others have done that successfully and want to know about airstream tanks, and also discuss the exhaust fans. They make noise, look okay, just don't seem to move a lot of air.

Chuck
cadonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:10 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

okay, remember I said I just got home, still suffering from 40 mph side winds all day syndrome. Left side tire blew, right side doesn't have any tank handles, even a rookie knows that.

cad
Old 07-16-2003, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Bummer

Sorry about the valve handles, but thanks a lot for sharing your experience with the Forum Members. It's really great that everyone can share both the good and bad experiences. Sure beats reinventing the wheel.

Great tow vehicle!

You and Don in East Texas need to get together to have a heads up!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:05 PM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
bummer!

But you've got the right frame of mind... it's only time and money! Welcome to the world of 34' behemoths. It sounds like you're better equipped with your Volvo to tow it than most of us !

We'd love to see photos when you get the chance.

I just got my '94 Limited 34' recently, and it's fun to look at others.

Let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 06:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Like to see some pics of the Airstream behind the Volvo!!! Do you have an air ride hitch?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 06:47 AM   #6
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Stillwater?
I don't need pics.
Just invite me out so I can have a look at it in person.
GF lives in Bayfield so I get out your way regularly.
Glad to hear you made it home ok.
And as others have said Good attitude about your troubles.
Jerry
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
cadonnelly - we just returned to MN from the Grand Tetons on Sunday towing the trailer, sounds like you followed us by a couple days. Welcome to Airsteam ownership! I hope you can get it fixed up easily.

Ultradog - we have a cabin in Bayfield, WI (or did you mean Bayport, MN?) and my brother owns a store and B&B there, with only 600 residents I bet he knows your GF.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:48 AM   #8
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Hey Dan,
Sorry
She's in Bayport just so of Stillwater.
Say you don't own a rivit shaver do you?
I'm sitting on hold with AS in OH getting the part # for a window I just broke. Gonna have to order one from Shorewood RV.
GRRR
Wont be so bad if I don't have to buy the rivit shaver too.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 12:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
No rivit shaver - my AS is in warranty. SOmehow I need to get the time to drive it to the AS factory to get some items fixed, as Shorewood RV only wanted to do the easy stuff.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:34 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Pics of volvo and airstream

I put some pics of my Airstream and Volvo on www.truckconversion.net look in pictures and members photos under my name.

If you Mn guys want to stop by, just send me an e-mail. If those visiting Stillwater need a place to hook up, I have privacy and hook ups within minutes of the tourist trap err downtown.

Where can I buy documentation that may have wiring diagrams, plumbing routing etc. Bid on a book on e-bay and lost it. It was 350 pages long covering 82 Airstreams, are their others around?

Thanks

Chuck
Old 07-24-2003, 04:46 AM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Chuck,

3 places I know of to get the service manuals. Ebay, Airstream Flea markets (at bigger rallies) and From Secretarial Services. The ones from secretarial services are going to be Photo copied and run 60 bucks.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 06:07 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Chuck, went over and saw your pics on the other site. Wow, that Volvo is quite a bit taller than the A/S

I have about a year left on my P/U lease, been thinking about a Class 8 conversion. My only concern is loosing the P/U for "daily driver" stuff, but I only put 7,000 on the P/U, and we also have a Blazer and a Crown Vic in the driveway, so it's not much of an issue except for those little hauling jobs. like runs to Lowes and HD, but I imagine I can configure the bed and hitch area to handle that kind of capacity.

Do you have an air ride hitch for the Airstream? I am concerned about damage from the stiffer suspension of the truck, as I know it would be a harder ride than a pickup truck.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 07-24-2003, 06:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
WOW it even has flames!
See if it will let me link the image.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:13 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

air hitch

Don E could probably contribute here, but I have a concern about the "stiff" chassis on the class 8 also. I have my Volvo set up to pull a fifth wheel and have installed a air hitch on the bed. Since my 401 has become a 101, have put the fifth wheel on hold for awhile. I am looking at an air ride receiver hitch made in Okalahoma (can't pull up the name from my memory bank) and may use it. However the Volvo is an air ride truck. Don E in Texas has pulled his Airstream for a few thousand miles I think without any problems.

I have pulled the Airstream 1600 miles and can't see that the interior is being rearranged much. Some doors pop open but I think they may have regardless of the truck used to pull it.

On the escapees web site, if you look under the MDT discussion thread you will see some recent postings from Don E and myself about using a class 8 as a tow vehicle.

Understand that a used class 8 is cheaper than a new pick up.

Would like to be able to plug my trailer into my truck going down the road, as I can provide up to 3kw of ac to the trailer when going down the road. Need ideas as to how to tap into the ac input line, the shore powe hook up is a long ways from the front of the trailer and a extension cord duct taped to the outside just seems to be a bit tacky.

Chuck
Old 07-24-2003, 07:20 AM   #15
qqq
4 Rivet Member

The AS looks like a toy
It would look good with the same paintjob

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:28 AM   #16
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: air hitch

Quote:
Originally posted by cadonnelly
I have pulled the Airstream 1600 miles and can't see that the interior is being rearranged much. Some doors pop open but I think they may have regardless of the truck used to pull it. Chuck
Hi, Chuck...

For comparison, I pull my 34' with my Excursion and have left (not intentionally) water in the dog's dish. It didn't slosh out. I haven't had any cabinets 'pop open' on the road either. I've left small, light items on both the dinette table and the kitchen counter and they're in or nearly in the same location when I've stopped 200 miles down the road. I'm constantly amazed at how little things move going down the road.

If you're experiencing cabinet doors 'popping open' regularly, and things are moving around at all, you may have an issue.

It would be interesting if any other 34' owners could chime in here and let us know what their experience has been.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:48 AM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Chuck,

The way to hook into the 3KW from the truck requires 5 things. A short 30 amp cord, a shore power connector like on a boat, some 30- amp romex, a 30 amp transfer relay, and time.

Wire the 30 amp romex to the shore connector at front of the rig and inside along the roadside to the AC power distibution panel. There is room to do this under and thru cabinets. You will have to take some of the interior apart, but it can be done and is far easier than pulling the belly pan.

Wire the current shore power and the aux feed from the truck into the transfer switch and the transfer switch into the original main panel breaker.

When you have shore power the feed to the truck will be out of the loop, and if you power from the truck the shore power cord will not be hot. Safety first!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:01 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Chuck,
What I would do with the electric, is run a plastic conduit with #10 wire back to the rear of the trailer on the outside of the belly pan, you could put a 30 Amp RV outlet in where your shore line is stowed and just plug it in. Put an appropriate connector pigtail on the front that will mate with your existing setup. Will that 3000 watt inverter start and run your AC? That's a slick generator setup, I like it.

Femuse, another member here, had problems with doors and even mirrors breaking in their A/S pulled by a 4700 International with air ride suspension on the rear. I believe they did purchase some sort of air ride receiver hitch for their unit, after they purchased a 1992 30' Airstream.

Did you purchase your unit from Larry? Man, that last white Volvo he did with the Auto Shift tranny was a sweet unit.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 07-24-2003, 09:01 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In regards to the subject, I can say first hand that you need to be keenly aware of the weights and the tire selections with weight capacities. I have seen several rigs in my day that have had under rated tires installed.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:04 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

trailer ride quality

I have heard others talk about the ride quality and being able to leave things on a table etc. The previous owner always took the TV off of the stand, and they had a microwave that was aftermarket and the had to wedge it in with paper towels to keep it in place. Also the rear drawers on the between bed vanity would pop open on them. They pulled with a Suburban or Tahoe.

I am concerned because when going down the road that trailer is bobbing up and down, doesn't sway or move from side to side. Understand that my truck weighs around 17,000 lbs with bed and batteries, probably a little more with full tanks, so I don't feel the trailer very often.

Perhaps some of my ride issues have to do with this particular trailer. Since this is my first trailer I have absolutely no way to compare to what is "should" ride like.

My truck is not from Larry Z, I bought it a year and half ago from Bennett's in Salt Lake City.

Thanks for the tips on the power cord, seems like the operative words are always "it will be easier than opening the belly pan" probably a messge there.

re tires, I bought 8 ply e rated trailer tires. I should be way under capacity if the loads are distributed fairly uniformily.

Thanks again.

Chuck