Old 10-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Thoughts on TPMS

I will be purchasing new tires for my TV and I would like to purchase a TPMS at that time.

My question is - Which type seems to be the best?

I know the ones that you screw on the valve stems would be more portable and easier to install. But you might need to put metal valve stems on the rim. Also, they are more prone to being stolden and broken off. How are they for dependability. The ones that go in the tire seem to be more expensive but are they better.

All inputs will be appreciated. I just do not want to purchase one type and find out that the other type is a whole lot better.

Thanks
Mel

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
_

. , .
many threads here are just a few.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ing-67701.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ers-54841.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...pms-44742.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tor-38023.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I bought the "Hawkshead" system which uses the external sensors. One of the reasons I bought this system (apart from the fact that the price was more reasonable than some) was that the batteries in the sensors were easily replaceable by the owner - just button cells.

Hawkshead do reccomend metal valve stems, and they include a set, but it turned out my AS already had metal stems in the Alcoa wheels.

As for the possibility for theft, well, its possible! To give you a little peace f mind, Hawkshead give you some little locking collars that you drop over the stem before installing the sensor. The collars have little tabs or keys on them and so once you have the sensor installed, you slide the collar up to engage slots in the sensor body and then tighten a couple of small allen screws in to collar to lock everything in place.

I did try one just to see how it worked, but wasn't all that convinced that it would really be strong enough to stop some vandal twisting teh whole think off despite the allen screws. Also I worried a bit about teh allen screws rusting in place, so in the end I never used them.

We keep our trailer in a secure storage yard when not in use, but even so, I remove the sensors when storing the trailer for any length of time.

Granted, they could be easily stolen when on the road, but I reasoned that they would be of little use or interest to most folks and so if they were to be stolen it would most likely be by kids fooling around. We are not often away from the trailer long when travelling other than while it is parked in campgrounds so I figured that realistically the chance of them growing legs was fairly minimal. I think replacements are around $50.

So far I'm happy with the system. Although there is no guarantee, having it does give me a degree of confidence that my chances of detecting a problem before it causes costly damage are improved.

As with other systems, this one allows you to monitor all your pressures and temperatures whenever you like, and gives you various automatic warnings depending on temperature reached or pressure drop - if even differentiates betweens very slow, medium, and fast pressure drop rates.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Get the metal valve stems

We use the Pressure Pros TPMS and I have no complaints. I wasn't using them this summer (in the Phoenix AZ area) when temps stayed above 110 F for weeks and we lost two front tires in a week. They were not under inflated and were in good shape. In both cases the valve stems failed. I had all four of the original valve stems replaced with heavy duty metal ones. There are known to be bad lots of Chinese manufactured valve stems still floating around North America (I suspect this in our case) and that is another reason go with heavy duty valve stems. Ask for US made if you can get them.
-KL
Old 10-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Educate me

What is a Hawkshead system?
Old 10-23-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hephzibah , Georgia
The TPMS sensors that bolt into the valve stem are best if you plan on ever having your tires replaced. Their location is obvious, so that lessens the chance of damage when on the tire machine. Plus telling the tire tech that they are there helps too. Since they are in the tire, they are rather safe from damaged compared to a sensor mounted outside the tire. If you do nitrogen fill, the sensors are even further protected from any moisture that might effect them.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
My small .02$

I installed a TPMS with the installation of new tires, very conveinent. I chose the internal style transmitter, I believe the same type config as you would get with a new vehicle, built in as opposed to added on. My unit offers a display that cycles between tires, displays to 1/10 PSI, but if you select the function button, it displays the INTERNAL wheel temp which actually helped me investigate a hot brake which is still unresolved but may be short brake hose syndrome. It also warns of over/under PSI and over TEMP.

This is my first experience with any TPMS and I found it a significant peace of mind factor, but remember it does not take away the owners pre-trip inspections or rest break walk around inspections.

My TPMS was made by Dill, from Tire Rack.

I vote for TPMS.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
What is a Hawkshead system?
Here is info. I bought mine from a dealer in Canada, but I think they are available from dealers in the US as well.

TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM

I believe I have also seen the same unit selling under a different brand name.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
I am joining this thread to help me make a decision on purchasing a TPMS.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I have a Pressure Pro system and am very happy with it. You may want to check this thread...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ems-62214.html
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have three vehicles with TPMS. Just for drill, I check the tires with a top quality air gauge and I've come to the conclusion that I would rather depend on common sense than a microchip. On checking, I've found a 5 PSI difference (low indicator) on a car costing six figures!

Too, while I'm checking tire pressures, I also check the lug nuts. A TPMS system won't do that!
Old 10-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I have three vehicles with TPMS. Just for drill, I check the tires with a top quality air gauge and I've come to the conclusion that I would rather depend on common sense than a microchip. On checking, I've found a 5 PSI difference (low indicator) on a car costing six figures!

Too, while I'm checking tire pressures, I also check the lug nuts. A TPMS system won't do that!
Most of us don't use the TPMS as a replacement for checking the actual tire pressure, or at least we should not. A wise owner finds a reliable tire gauge and uses it to check tire pressure on a schedule that works for him.

The strong point of the TPMS is to provide an almost continuous monitoring of the tire pressure and tire remperature, which is then used to check for changes in same. Since we are looking at differences, the degree of error in the actual reading is relatively unimportant (assuming that the error is relatively constant). In this way, one can get an early warning of a problem developing (either pressure dropping or temperature rising) and get off of the road before the problem is too big to handle.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Hawkshead TPMS

Brian,

Do you have the optional signal booster or does the system work on your 30' without?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltlevel510 View Post
Brian,

Do you have the optional signal booster or does the system work on your 30' without?
On my 30' using the Doran system I do not have the booster. I have 2 friends with 34' who also do not have a booster.