Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #21
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I chose Dill, internal monitors. I am using the included external cab mount magnetic base antenna, but I will try the display pigtail antenna next time out. I only have two trips on my system.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
nickmeloy is right on. A TPMS is piece of mind after you get on the road. You just flat don't notice a change in handling if a tire starts to deflate until the damage is done. Here's the sad result, which might have been avoided by a TPMS. My Doran 360RV seems to fill the bill. A small complaint is mounting it in the cab. I hate it on the visor but can't find a good alternative. I do not need an amplifier to get a signal. Metal valve stems are essential, I'd say. -- John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basswood, Sept. '10 001.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	114127  
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwells4654 View Post
That is exactly what I looking for. Different opinions from the owners about both the sensor placement and the name brand of the unit. From this information I get a wide variety of information from the end user of the TPMS not just the sales information from a person wanting to sell me their product. If you could - chime in with name brand/model and type of sensor (internal or external) and if you want - positives/negatives about the product. I do not want cost of unit. This way I look at the unit without the price getting in the way from the beginning. It will have an influence in the end but I do not want to skip over a unit just because of the price.

I hope this is OK with the moderators. I do not want to step on anyones toes (so to speak).
I will be installing a Dill TPMS, p/n 1504, for trailer use. It is an internal sensor unit that provides temperature and pressure monitoring capability. My engineering background biases me toward the internal sensor unit, as I feel that I will get better temperature sensing to detect insipient wheel bearing failure (Nev-R-Lube sealed bearings). Either type should handle pressure loss issues.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I wish to thank everyone with their input. I am gong to install a TPMS with the external sensors (metal valve stems). I think the "being able to change out the battery every year myself" instead of the internal sensor (even though they are supposed to have a 5 year life) is my choice. Also, I can move them from TV to TV and TT to TT without going to the tire shop.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Balance?

I will be replacing tires this spring as well and will look into the external type. I do have a question. Won't the addition of the sensor on the valve stem throw the tires out of balance? Should I get the sensors and take them to the tire shop and have them balance the tires with the sensors in place or does it matter? Logic tells me that adding a weight, even a small one, toward the outer edge will influence the balance.

What say you?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwells4654 View Post
I wish to thank everyone with their input. I am gong to install a TPMS with the external sensors (metal valve stems). I think the "being able to change out the battery every year myself" instead of the internal sensor (even though they are supposed to have a 5 year life) is my choice. Also, I can move them from TV to TV and TT to TT without going to the tire shop.
One other anecdote to support your decision:

I had two sensors go bad during the warranty period.

One would lock up on some random reading and refuse to change until I removed and reinserted the battery.

The other just suddenly started reading 15 pounds low.

Both were replaced without question.

However I am sure glad that I didn't have to remove the tire to troubleshoot them.

The flip side is that the malfunctions may have been caused by their exposure to the highway elements. I doubt that however.

good luck,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I will be replacing tires this spring as well and will look into the external type. I do have a question. Won't the addition of the sensor on the valve stem throw the tires out of balance? Should I get the sensors and take them to the tire shop and have them balance the tires with the sensors in place or does it matter? Logic tells me that adding a weight, even a small one, toward the outer edge will influence the balance.

What say you?
The ones I have seem extremely lightweight and I wouldn't think it should have much impact but in theory I guess you are correct.

I have centramatic dynamic wheel balancers installed and I suppose they should automatically compensate.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I am going to install the sensors at the same time I purchase the new wheels and tires. I think I would have a tire shop look at the balancing after replacing them on one of the tires to see what type of change there is. But, I also agree with Brian - If you have the dynamic wheel balancers - they should automatically compensate.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have had a Doran 360 unit for about 2 1/2 years. I first bought a Pressure Pro, but couldn't find a place to mount the monitor. My dashboard doesn't like suction cups and Velcro doesn't stick to it well enough to keep the monitor steady. There's no effective place in the dashboard either. So I returned it to Doran and exchanged for their model which at the time had better mounting options.

I used the 3 suction cups on the windshield. They are bulletproof—it has never budged. It's kind of a stretch to reach it while driving.

I think they now claim the batteries in the sensors last 8 years. I remove them after a trip thinking the sensor is no longer sending a signal and therefore the batteries will last longer.

The locking part is the same as described in a previous post. The allen screws are tricky to get locked on and not jammed in so far they won't come out. The end of the allen wrench is very small and can round enough to not be able to take the screw out, but you do get a couple with the unit. Usually you can just screw the whole lock off with the sensor anyway without loosening the screws. This past summer the inside of the locking screws got filled with road tar and I couldn't get the stuff dissolved, so had to get new locks.

Last week, one sensor started acting crazy, seemingly not sending a signal all the time. Then the monitor started giving crazy readings. I will reprogram it ands hope it works next year.

When I had Marathons, I had to keep adding air every few days, so removing the locks and sensors was a pain. With better tires, they don't lose air.

I am very glad we got the TPMS as it probably prevents damage to the trailer if a tire blows. Maybe better tires are also a solution to that. It also allows me to check tire pressure every morning and during the day without going around to each tire with a gauge—easier and quicker. The TPMS reads 3 lbs. differently from a hand tire gauge, and I tend to believe the tire gauge more, so I just take that into account.

I am hoping I just have to reprogram it since software sometimes acts up after a while, and all will be well.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I have not had any tire balance issues with the Pressure Pros on the metal valve stems and I move them from the trailer and TV (we have 8) to the motor-home as needed.
-Ken
Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have the Doran. I didn't rebalance when I installed ONLY because I am due for new tires soon. I do run Centramatics though. I will have new tires/wheels balanced with TPMS sensors installed.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
dzn', have you had any of the problems I have had with the Doran? How long have you had it? Now that I recall, 2 different sensors have acted up at different times.

Also, I have Centramatics and believe they compensate for the weight of the sensors.

Gene
Old 11-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Gene,

No problems, but I've only had them about 2 months and maybe 1000 miles. I do remove them when not rolling for a few days. I believe they turn on only when pressurized. Save batteries?

Has there been others reporting problems? Have you called Doran? Keep us posted.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Has there been others reporting problems? Have you called Doran? Keep us posted.
Don't know. Haven't called. I'll see what happens when I use it next spring.

Gene