Old 04-14-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
TCL

1969 25' Tradewind
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
temporary spare

I have a 1969 Tradewind with no good place to store the spare tire. I plan to build a mount to hold the spare under the A frame, just behind the propane bottles. To minimize the weight and bulk of the spare, I would like to use an automotive "temporary spare". Has anyone researched this idea or does anyone have any comments on the use of a temporary spare?

Old 04-14-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL
I have a 1969 Tradewind with no good place to store the spare tire. I plan to build a mount to hold the spare under the A frame, just behind the propane bottles. To minimize the weight and bulk of the spare, I would like to use an automotive "temporary spare". Has anyone researched this idea or does anyone have any comments on the use of a temporary spare?
TCL,

Can you buy one with the right bolt pattern on the wheel?

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I have a later model axle under my Airstream and have a space saver spare. For the short distance it will be used it will not be a problem. As with the same tire when on the car a moderate speed and a trip to the nearest tire facility is the requirement when using one of these. Also have another pair I use for winter storage of the trailer so my good tires don't rot or weather during the season. They are very cheap to buy at wrecking yards.
Barry
Old 04-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I don't think it's such a great idea...

Those temporary spares usually don't have the proper bolt pattern, or offset to clear the fenders or wheelwells, not to mention load capacity.
Yes, they are (a little) lighter, yes, they are cheaper, but they still take up nearly as much room, diameter-wise, as a full size spare. If you really want to get a smaller tire, get something like a 205 75 15 load range D tire, and put it on a 2500 pound capacity wheel that has the correct bolt pattern and offset, but is only 5.5"-6" wide. This will save you 2-3" in height, and an inch or more in width.
To make a long story short, I don't think it is worth the time, trouble and aggravation.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello Tcl,
I think your idea is a good one as long as you have good clearance between the spare and the ground ,hence your idea (I think) about a space saver .I dont think they have those in a 6 lug wheel .Your rig is tandem so that is in your favor. i would never ever use one on my 60 single axle though.You may be somewhere out on the road ,and that space saver isnt designed for a travel trailer . Put a regular spare under it ,then you wont have to be cocerned about it when you trying to enjoy your airstreaming.

scott
Old 04-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #6
TCL

1969 25' Tradewind
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
Thanks to all who provided good advice and information concerning the use of an automotive temporary spare on a Trade Wind.

TCL
Old 04-16-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Contrary to what many people believe, the temporary spares are quite robust and can be run at high speed without problems. When they first came out BF Goodrich sponsored a car on One Lap of America. They used a temporary spare from beginning to end, over 3000 miles total. Speeds at times approached three digits. The event started in Detroit and went to the west coast and back. The first temporary was worn out when they got to the coast and was replaced with another for the trip back. They normally replaced the "donut" for the speed tests along the way with a regular tire. At one hill climb, the drivers got distracted and ran it with the donut in place. They found no significant degradation in handling. If you can get a match on diameter and bolt pattern, I see no reason not to do it and save the weight and money.

Jim Mickle, Chief Technical Inspector for the event
Old 04-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #8
Site Team

, Minnesota
When I go to the other side of town, I see a cars riding fulltime on one or more of those donuts. Usually they're on different axles.

I'm sure you can get them cheap at the local recycling facility.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Lowrider?

Mark -

Maybe THAT'S what they were?!?! I thought they were merely Lowriders.... but perhaps they were just running those cool space saver spares, wrong way round to get that neato offset just right!! Wow! I gotta get me somma tho's for my 2500 4x4 Burb.... Heck, sidewall height is WAY overrated!

Talk about 'Pimp my ride'...

Then that'll let me run the TT with the tongue down for that extra cool attitude, and MAYBE dragging a bit - sparks are cool!! No, wait! Aluminum doesn't spark - D*MN! Skid plates, yeah thats it!

"I gotta get me somma dat! YEAH!"

OK, not.

See plenty of folks running those SSS's full time. Even saw a lady running with a near flat on her SSS and going 75mph on the interstate! Gotta love people that just abuse their equipment. Sigh

Whatever. Glad to be among a group of people that takes care of their equipment and REALLY dislikes it when others don't do the same - makes me feel a teeny bit safer somehow.

Peace

Axel
Old 04-16-2006, 09:47 PM   #10
Site Team

, Minnesota
Axel,

Nope, no lowriders in Minnesota. When we get 6" of snow, you need lots of ground clearance.

Them skinny tires sure get good traction on snow or ice, though.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hello everyone ,

It makes no difference to me if the space saver tire was used on the lunar rover . It is not designed for an airstream trailer .Are we not all on these forums, striving to get the correct tires ? All the debates on and on about st tires ,Lt tires ,ply ratings and what the sidewall says.IF you read the sidewall on a space saver tire it clearly shoes the max speed and says ,for temporary use only. Is the wheel rated for the load? I dont believe they come in a 6 lug bolt pattern .What if the nearest tire repair shop is 75 miles outside of prescott arizona ?You better hope it will work.jimmickle says go for it no problem we abused an used it in an unsafe manner at high rates of speed even though it wasnt designed for that . i would like to know ,what kind of car was it? so that tiny little tire handled just like a performance road tire with out any problems ? I dont understand how that is possible. The reason that most all people dont believe how fantastic the space saver is is because they only use it for what it was clearly designed for a temporary spare for a car ,not for a road rally.

scott
Old 04-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Proper tires, lowriders, etc...

Mark -

If you want lowriders, then ALBQ is the place for you to see them. ALL of them - mostly. Seriously, there are plenty of extra sharp rides, with 40 layer Imron paint schemes that would make Leonardo D. jealous, that will, can and DO the most unbelieveable things - skid plates anyone?

Stuff I never even imagined a car could, or should do - they do with panache!!!! Really amazing engineering in lots of cases. Plus LOTS of chrome.... Bouncing cars with MASSIVE wheel offset RULE!!!

Somewhere there is a chrome shop owner or 20 around here, that is counting his millions!

Actually, there was a Lincoln owner that was remaking a trailer/ toy hauler for his MK that was a thing of beauty. IIRC, he had some hydraulics or airbags to raise/ lower the rig to accomodate his prize show car. Anyone know what I am talking about? Where is that guy? Did he ever get it done? Seemed like a terrific craftsman answering the question no one but himself ever asked....

Scott - I agree that most folks here on this forum strive to get the proper equipment, maintain it properly and to above all be safe! That said, this statement does not generally apply to many of the general public. Plenty of them seem to just want to get by, to stretch common sense to the breaking point, and to get away with it.

It is a credit to modern engineering that they in fact DO get away with it as often as they do.

Certainly I meant nothing with my statements in the post back to Mark. Sorry if that was your take. Just fun'ing dude.

I strive for the utmost in safety for myself, my family and transport. I often share the road with people that obviously have no such regard, or intent. My philosophy is to get around and ahead of these folks, or else stop and let them get FAR away from me and mine. I don't want to be anywhere near them when they have a catastophic failure - always seeming imminant!

Back to you regularly scheduled programming....

Peace

Axel
Old 04-17-2006, 12:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hey silver toy,

Thank s for your reply ,I read your post and I got the funnin on it thats fine.Im not that stuffy The post about the space saver being a road rally tire etc.was my immediate reason for my reply .It reads as somthing that is really no biggie ,so on and so forth ,well ... youve read it .

Scott
Old 04-17-2006, 04:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Confession time.....

This discussion about safety and using the correct safe wheels and tires takes me back some 40 or so years. As a teenager I built a "special" based on an E93A "sit-up-and=beg" Ford Poplular, built in 1939 IIRC. I started by wrapping a hacksaw blade in my hand, and sawing across the roof behind the front seats, and peeling the bodywork off in 2 pieces. (Oh sacrilege!). I found a derilect glassfiber body based on a D-type Jaguar, and fitted this. The skinny wheels had to go, so I got some VW Beetle wheels. These would look cool and give a wider, more stable, axle if turned inside out. This I did, but, as a minor issue, the studs on the Ford didn't match quite with the holes in the wheels. To a determined teenager this was no obstacle, and several hours work with a round file soon ovalized the holes. The nuts ' of course, no longer sat in the nicely shaped hollows in the wheel. With twin SU carbs, a modified head and exhaust system, I was soon leaving two black rubber marks down the local roads on take-off, and terrorizing the neighbourhood with the noise. I just felt the need to confess my misdeeds.......
What are the words of the song??? "Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way....."
Nick.