Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2006, 08:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
hey action and jimmickle,

you guys can do whatever you want . what I know is what the design of the tire is and its intended usage ,what the sidewall says ,I dont care about B F Goodrich proving what could be done with it ,It is what BFG designed the tire for .You know ,what you are arguing with me about here makes no sense except that you two want to be right about what your doing .Why then all the goings on about the proper tires ,Lt St radial bias .Your previous posts didnt appear argumentative , and I dont know why they are now. I never said I knew more than BFG ,I also never ever heard them sanctioning the use of a space saver on anything but a temporary low speed spare tire.I have been in the auto repair business for 30 years and did tire adjustments for a major tire chain for a few years as well ,so I have some credibility.I dont want to engage in a debate over something such as an issue over wether or not we should be racing a space saver tire .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Current info ??

Action -

Any current info on Barry W. and his mega TH tow rig? Any URL's from the Lincoln club? Any current info, photos???????????????

Would LOVE to see the end of that story that he started! He seemed like a proud photo nut about his accomplishments - deservedly so. Spartanette shmart-enette.... Looks like an AS and a HECK of an engineering feat to bring a classic back to life!!! Bring it on Barry! LOVE THE LINCOLN TOO!!!!

Former '62 Continental HT owner - suicide doors BABY! Champagne with Champagne leather interior!!!! WHAT a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry that I don't still own that classic - won't make that mistake with the AS.

I WANNA SEE THE END OF THE STORY MA!!!! My kids mantra....

Peace

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:18 AM   #23
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Okay, I went out to my garage, and looked at my 11 year old temp spare.
1-It has a weight capacity of 1200 pounds, less than 1/4 of the weight of my Overlander. So it would be running over its rated weight capacity.
2-It doesn't have the proper bolt pattern, although you may be able to find one off a Mitsubishi or Nissan pickup or SUV with the proper bolt pattern.
3-It's 11 years old. When are we supposed to replace the tires on our coaches? 5-6 years.
You can, of course, do what you want. I personally would not do this, Murphy's law could rear its ugly head at any time, and using a temp spare on a travel trailer could leave you open to liability problems in case of an accident. You have seen the disclaimer: "Use of this item for other than its intended purpoe", etc.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:44 AM   #24
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
hey action and jimmickle,

you guys can do whatever you want ....... You know ,what you are arguing with me about here makes no sense except that you two want to be right about what your doing .

Scott
Scott, Not sure why you think I am arguing with you. Cause that is not the case for me. Like you said, you can do what ever you want. However FWIW and in my opinion, using a space saver spare on my 5000 + pound Overlander after a tire failure does not seem prudent. That is just me. You do what you want. I have not seen the rating of a SSS. If I considered one it would be rated for 1800 pounds and an even higher rating for the wheel.

Silvertoy

Here is your link. It may be a slow load cause there is a ton of pics. 25+ pages. http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb...pic.php?t=5434 If for some reason it does not open. Go to theLincolnForum.net establish an account and then go to misc lincoln related section and find the 25 page thread. Likely 50 or more pics.

Overlander63

In 2003 I had a flat in my TV at about 90 miles from my destination. So I pulled over and got out the spare. My spare is on a rack on the outside of my van. And since we get a bit of sun here I always have a cover on it. And it was a used spare, not sure of the age. (You know used - as in the last time I replaced 4 tires I took the best and made it a spare. So it was at least 6 years years old.) I installed that spare and it lasted 60 miles when it shreaded. OK so now I am in Mexico, 30 miles from my destination with 3 good tires on my TV. I get picked up by some of my friends that were about a 1/2 hour behind me.

Chancing that 11 year old spare when you need it after something happened to your regular tire...... hmmmmm. I think Clint Eastwood said something like "do ya feel lucky?".

Besides the fact that the rim is the wrong size. And the load rating would be safer around 1800 pounds. (For a dual axle Overlander)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-20-2006, 07:24 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Trinity , Alabama
A temporary spare from a 2000 Nissan Frontier has 6 hole bolt pattern and is tated for 1764 lbs. Like others have said a person can do as they please but if engineers and federal regulators say temporary spare is OK for temporary use on passenger vehicle why would it be unsafe on trailer provided you use common sense and drive slowly and carefully to nearest tire store?
norsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #26
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Good point Norsim.

Another observation is that I have never seen a production travel trailer of any make include a SSS as an option or a standard item.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-20-2006, 08:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hello to Action ,

Im sorry that I mistakenly included you in my last reply, I thought your response was in keeping with the other poster.Overlander 63 did the right thing and went out and looked at his car space saver .

To Norism ,The nissan wheel is not the correct rated wheel ,the spare in question here is the space saver, not a normal size temporary spare .The space saver tire is about the size of a motorcycle tire 4" wide average ,the sidewall is 3or4" tall not even close to the proper height nor width of a standard tire on your airstream.

Scott
Old 04-21-2006, 07:02 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Trinity , Alabama
Scottanilly:

The 2000 Nissan Friontier is equiped with TEMPORARY SPACESAVER SPARE that has 6 hole bolt pattern and 1764 lb. weight rating, tire is marked TEMPORARY USE ONLY in large letters. Temporary spacesaver spares on all vehicles are a different size than other tires on vehicle that is why they are called spacesavers but tire engineers, auto and truck engineers and Federal regulators say they are accepable fot TEMPORARY use.

From the owners manual of my 1977 Argosy "The independent suspension of the Dura-Torque Axle allows a four wheel unit to be safely towed on three wheels for a short distance ( 100 miles maximum) and only at low speed (30 MPH)." I think that using the Nissan spare would be an improvement on this even if it is not exact match for other ties and wheels.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hey Norism ,

Did the federal regulators and every other expert say that they are for use on anything you want to put them on ? Did I not state that the wheel is NOT rated for you coach or anyone elses? Does it fit ? does it clear the drum? It was my understanding that a 2600# wheel is the proper rating for these trailers .I would agree to one point about the (better than nothing on the trailer point) thats it .If you read this thread from the beginning ,it wasnt about 30mph speeds on an argosy or airstream .I said it before ,you all can do whatever you desire.I sincerely believe more thought about this idea should be considered .Inland Andy posted on any nissan wheel or chevy truck etc. not being the right thing .Im sure he knows what hes talking about and after 25 or 30 years of airstreams repairs and service Id say hes an expert.
I dont think being argumentative about this space saver idea ,claiming ,expert this ,federal regulators that ,Im no expert, this and that helps anyone. the federal regulators never , (was posted before,) have ever approved the use of a space saver tire on a travel trailer or any other trailer .If it doesnt fit on your 6 lug drum ,then what ? have it modified to fit? the space saver guys ,just go do it period. the standard wheel and tire guys ,we are doing it.

Scott
Old 04-22-2006, 01:11 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Worked up and ALL that....

Scott -

Hey, stop and remember that you can't stop people from being who they are...

Deep breath!....

Hey this helps my son when he is in a pitching jam in LL ( not that this and that compare), so it can't hurt here can it? Of course, he usually wants nothing more than to shut "Dad, the manager" up, but hey!? It works OK.

Sorry, back to the thread.

Peace

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:53 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Trinity , Alabama
Scott:

Federal regulations for trailer tires and wheels can be found under Federal Code of Regulaions 49--Part 571--Standard 120--Tire selection and rims for motor vehicles other than passenger cars. Temporary spares are permitted.

If you would like to read the regulations do a Google search fot 49CFR571.120.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Direct me to the part that says for travel trailers .When I read that the D.O.T. department of transportation has sanctioned nissan wheels and tires for airstream argosy or any other trailers ,and the space saver (not a regular size temporary spare now) is said to be the correct and proper temporary spare for road service on said trailers I still wont advise the use .Even when the tire rating and wheel rating or not correct for the intended usage ,you insist on this idea .I said before go ahead and use it ,make it fit ,It is fine,why the continued pressures to make me think it is acceptable? I know that I am using the proper wheels tires for my coach .It doesnt seem that you are willing to consider anything but this space saver idea. I am looking at this from what is the proper equipment for the application .I cannot change your mind and that is fine .You can do what you want ,thats also fine .For all this discussion I hope the frontier space saver fits on your trailer so you will be satisfied . there is no offense to you nor intended .

Scott
Old 04-23-2006, 06:27 AM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
Overlander63

In 2003 I had a flat in my TV at about 90 miles from my destination. So I pulled over and got out the spare. My spare is on a rack on the outside of my van. And since we get a bit of sun here I always have a cover on it. And it was a used spare, not sure of the age. (You know used - as in the last time I replaced 4 tires I took the best and made it a spare. So it was at least 6 years years old.) I installed that spare and it lasted 60 miles when it shreaded. OK so now I am in Mexico, 30 miles from my destination with 3 good tires on my TV. I get picked up by some of my friends that were about a 1/2 hour behind me.

Chancing that 11 year old spare when you need it after something happened to your regular tire...... hmmmmm. I think Clint Eastwood said something like "do ya feel lucky?".

Besides the fact that the rim is the wrong size. And the load rating would be safer around 1800 pounds. (For a dual axle Overlander)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Dave, that's why the temp spare is in the garage, and the 4 year old spare tire is in the back of the tow vehicle.